Kharadon Overlords - Barak-Kol/Biologis Guild

Demorte
Warrant Officer First Class
Demorte

7:09 PM - Aug 10, 2017 #1

I been theory-crafting a Arkanaut Fleet for age of sigmar for 6 months I finally feel like keeping a more official log on the skyfleet. I got a few mates involved in the fluff, that is still a work in progress hope you all enjoy what i have thus far for the Fleet. Thank you (Melcavuk and Wier) These guys created platforms that really have inspired me to launch the fleet.

Fleet: Garaz Vongal (Fearless Raiders)
Port: Lost Haven (Aka The Rust Yard)
Admiral: Kro De`Morte (The Raven)
Flagship: The Kvinn Kro (The Lady Raven)
Code: Barak-Mhornar
Artycle: Seek new prospects
Amendment: Prosecute War with all haste
Footnote: Who strikes first strikes hardest
Crews: Barak-Mhornar, Barak-Kol(Black Stone), & Barak-Nar
Heros:

Lost Haven - The City of Rust (Aka The Rust Yard)

Once a bountiful port Lost Haven has long since become known as the City of Rust, this port housed many a mighty house and fool hardy captains ever to sail the skies of the realms. So close was it to the migration path of the Leviathans of the sky that on a clear day a dwarf with iron in their loins could lean across the size to see these mighty beasts pass far below the monolithic city. The primary trade for the port reside in its massive docks capable of housing countless slain leviathans that the engineers, khemists and more than a handful of deranged smugglers could carve into the carcasses. From them came lush oils, a bountiful hide that could turn even the most keen of blades, and its bones when ground down into powders could be used medicines and explosives but more valuable of all lay the massive glands of Aethergold that allowed these beasts to fly despite their enormous bulk.

It is said that a Storm of nittle-bugs once hit the city unlike any other, swarm after swarm of these seething bugs and flies cascading from rot clouds seeking to devour all that lay within. Still this was no match for this great skyport, the vault seals remained intact and despite the cleanup operation taking some weeks the casualties sustained where minimal. Trade however took the most damage, the carcasses of leviathans held in dock waiting to be carved up had been devoured by the storm. Every saleable resource disappearing in the blink of an eye, such a loss could be rectified however as the city had no shortage of eager captains willing to sail the Aether streams and hunt down fresh prey. Over two dozen ships left port, the armada descending on the Leviathan migration with equal parts wrath and greed. Their haul was magnificent, the city was once more full and its spirits higher than ever before, all hands gathered to witness the great armada deliver their prizes to the loading docks ready to carve into these fresh treasures. One by one each ship severed their tow cables dropping the hulking corpses onto the docks below, the dull thud and wet splats of impact reverberating throughout the port, it was only as the last corpse descended upon the port that the foul stench of rot began to pierce even the strongest of filtration units. One by one the leviathan corpses bubbled and shifted, every movement pouring bile and puss from open sores onto the decks of the ships, and with a mighty groan their bloated Aetherbladders erupted into a sea of nurglings giggling idiotically as they spread like locust across the city.

Since that day no word has come from the city of rust, it exists as a floating graveyard high above Ghyran, sombre and dead. Some shiphands speak of seeing ships of bulbous flesh and steel floating around the city, that the stacks from the Aetherfurnaces can still be seen venting on a still night. Some say that there were survivors, though what cursed wretches these might be has yet to be seen.

The myths and legends of the great port city held true for a decade or more until Freyvid Hafnar, Chief investigator of the Barak-Nar Biologis Guild was commission to investigate the rusted port and determine its salvage ability. A small skyfleet well paid and promised plunder accompanied the the great investigator on his engever. The myths and tales surrounding the skyport left much concern in the air of these durdin. It came as quite a shock to find the great port was not only in working order, though heavily rusted but was a functioning port for blackmarket trade and oddly enough the sciences.

---

euansmith
Major
Major

5:04 PM - Aug 11, 2017 #2

The addition of that Space Wolf head really lifts that mini to a new level of cool.

nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
nerodine
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

9:01 AM - Aug 12, 2017 #3

This is off to a promising start. I agree with euansmith that the head swap's a great touch - nice to see the Squats returning

Demorte
Demorte

3:21 PM - Aug 12, 2017 #4

Thank you guys!

I got a frigate coming in the mail will begin on that as soon as it arrives.

In the mean time I hired on my buddy Jin to do some sculpt work on the dwarf conversions for me while I focus on painting. I got a lot of projects underway and have been banking a lot of my commission profits. It also frees me up to focus on the ships of the fleet which will have some fun conversions too.

The Kharadon Overlords area beautifully done kit but there are some areas that I really didn't love about the models.

They look like muscular eggs almost, very thick thighs, with wipe stances. They almost look like they stuck in the suit due to being so husky... I met someone who also agreed my friend Adam from California.

He did this amazing conversion!

Me and Adam are both extremely excited about this project. He was very eager to help and share about his conversion. The fluff we developing has just come alive having multiple hobbyists actively engaged in the work.

This is Adam blog feel free to check it out, http://betweenthebolterandme.blogspot.com/

I made some attempts on doing it myself, I have no doubt that in time and with practice I can get better at sculpting. Adam has 15+ years of hobby and my buddy Jin is a sculpting professional he only does sculpting.

The best I got was this with my own work and some tips.

I had to be honest with myself I don't have the time to master sculpting in a short enough time to have the models I want to achieve my goal.

So I passed the actually sculpting portion to Jin. I will do the other conversion but as far as sculpting to pro level goes I cant do that in this season.

Pictures of the conversion thus far.

Here is what I handed him:

3 hours later

6 hours laters

15 hours later " 9 hours of total session time "

He hasnt given me a update in about 48 hours so I am excited to see how close this is to being done. My goal for this faction is pure painting competition and gaming of course. I am hoping that one or two of the models will make it to Adepticon for Crystal brush next year.

Demorte
Demorte

3:08 AM - Aug 13, 2017 #5

We made quite alot of progreaa today.

Jin completed the first dwarf figure and got a mold made. I was able to get two of the discards to do some work on. We did alot of discusison on adjusting some of the proportions.

A unique element of this army will be the different body types. We doing alot of different builds tall, short, thin, and husky.

Scale is being adjusted abit. The goal is to have the body portion " torso and legs " be fixed and be able to swap the arms and legs around from gw kits.

Kit bash 1 " This one is the actual wax sculpt, Some of the detail got smushed on the front and back. I didnt realize it was soft... "

Test Painting

Kit 2 " We learned alot about where we needed to land scale wise from this first one. "

Paint Test

Taking Adams original, my vision and Jins skills together on the same page has been very enjoyable for us. We really in a good groove on this project several more coming together. I never expected to find someone that can beat my speed and quailty but Jin move like a mad man! His years of committment to sculpting shows. I dont regret for a minute commission this portion out.

Welp, till tomorrow am gonna work on painting the ones I have and see how it all settles.

euansmith
Major
Major

9:03 AM - Aug 13, 2017 #6

This is a great and inventive project. I really like the idea of making Dwarfs of all sizes.

Demorte
Demorte

12:16 AM - Aug 14, 2017 #7

Thank you euansmith. I am really enjoying this project.

I got a lot of the heavy lifting done, am still touching up a lot of spots. There guys may be 60% done.

Still i wanted to move them to the bases.

Jin got some more progress done using a bit more of the gw parts per my quest.

I did some work on the crystals which or kinda like a infestation or outbreak the fleet is combating.

euansmith
Major
Major

4:07 PM - Aug 14, 2017 #8

The crystals are a really nice touch. I love the guy contemplating the crystals sprouting from his helmet.

Demorte
Demorte

3:15 PM - Aug 15, 2017 #9

euansmith wrote:The crystals are a really nice touch. I love the guy contemplating the crystals sprouting from his helmet.
Thanks, I been playing around with my own version of doing the Crystals using a bunch of my blue crystal basing materials that I put on my tau army.

The first frigate is under construction, I am actually quite disappointed in the size of the model.. I have never seen one in person till yesterday. A $80 + tax price tag is quite high for model this small. I am glad I traded for my first one I would of been disappointed paying full retail cost for this model. That being said there is a lot of cool features and details on these models.

Color scheme is coming together am really going full blind one this and working purely off my own artistic juices. There is not a lot out there for the overlords, which makes sense considering the cost per model.

Demorte
Demorte

1:51 PM - Aug 17, 2017 #10

Update!

I decided to go a different route colors wise for my ships. I wanted something more steampunk in feel.

I really like this color scheme a lot better, I think it will look way cool with a big steampunk balloon on top