Johannus' Visions of the Dark Millennium

Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

May 28th, 2014, 8:22 pm #1

Welcome, weary walkers of the Webway. Sit and rest awhile and listen to the whispers of this Dark Millennium...

Ahem. Hiya, I've been trawling the Ammobunker for some time now, and finally the incredible work here has urged me into action. Previously I've been content to collect the classic metal Necromunda / Inquisition range, but finally I have succumbed to the Inq28 conversion bug.

Hoping the images work - my Technosavant has developed an alarming repetitive meme and is indisposed at present.

Without further ado I present Inquisitor Cato Rothschild, Ordo Malleus, about whom hang rumours of radicalism and trafficking with foul powers.

Devoted acolytes will immediately note the Eisenhorn / Lichtenstein vibe of the model, this wasn't my original intention, but as soon as I saw the head from the FW Legion Praetor I knew I had to use it - the subtle bionic implants, the grim turn of his lower lip...

The body is that of the Empire Witch Hunter, which I originally just needed the hat from for my Plague Doctor conversion (more on which below). For all it's faults, Finecast resin lets you do things that metal never did. In this case, the original model's arms were crossed over the torso, drawing a pistol, but I was able to hack these away and give him new arms, radically altering the pose and feel of the model.

Originally I was considering removing the ruffled right trouser leg, but in the end I decided to go with it, and gave Rothschild a similarly frumpy right arm from the Empire General. I think it adds a nice element of signature 40k anachronism to the piece.

The by-now-ubiquitous swagger stick from the Scions kit makes a fine psychic rod, and a converted stubber finishes his arsenal. Some of the photos make the stubber look a little large and unwieldy, but in person it looks ok I think. It's made using a DV autogun - I also considered using the autopistol with drum magazine but it looked piddly in comparison. Any thoughts?

Still need to GS him, lots of gaps and a few missing details, but other than that he's pretty much done I think. I do have a spare set of keys from the Mortis Engine Corpsemaster that I was considering adding (for reasons which will become apparent once the third member of Rothschild's entourage is revealed), but I'm concerned they'll make him a little busy. Any thoughts appreciated. A suitable base has yet to be procured.

The second member of the band is the Plague Doctor, based on this classic image:

Here he is in WIP form:

The base model is the aforementioned Mortis Engine Corpsemaster, with the beak mask head from a DV Cultist and the hat from the Witch Hunter. The hat probably needs a bit of trimming on the rim to make it look right, and the cloak looks a little bare from the front (although I love his slouching pose from a profile view), but I'm happy with him so far. Big holes to fill in his torso, I'm wondering whether some sort of ventilation pipes connecting to the base of his mask will work or will detract from the simplicity of the piece. Likewise with a gas tank on his back. I love that the clawed hand of the base model perfectly matches that of the illustration - it'll be painted as a white glove. Not sure if I'll be giving him a 2nd bionic eye or leaving the hole in his mask.

Any thoughts on the staff? It looks a little nobbly and bent, and the aquila crest is quite large, but I chose that one because it had the cross on it that matched the one on the Witch Hunter's hat.

I'm hoping that the stark black and white paintjob I have planned will make the model shine, but again any ideas appreciated.

So those two are still works in progress, and I have the pieces for a more malign member of the group ready to go, although that may take a little more time to have ready.

For now... What say you?

WHAT SAY YOU??

KrautScientist
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

May 28th, 2014, 8:33 pm #2

Welcome to the forum!

Your avatar hints at a very promising conversion - Inquisitor Rothschild, I presume? - so I would really like to see the pictures. Therefore, let me offer a couple of hints:

- if the auto-HTML-tag offered by the forum doesn't work, try the image address (obtained by right clicking the image that you uploaded to somewhere on the internet and choosing "Show image", then copying the URL from your browser or, alternately, right clicking the image and choosing "Save image address" and add right after it.

- use Dakka's very comfortable and robust image hosting that will offer any kind of embed code you need.

- post the link to the images so we can help you figure out how to make them visible

Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

May 28th, 2014, 8:35 pm #3

Hiya, will try that, for now here is the link to Imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/Q6qtN

KrautScientist
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

May 28th, 2014, 8:36 pm #4

Alright,

ALAKAZAM!

Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

May 28th, 2014, 8:46 pm #5

Thanks Kraut, can I ask what technowizardry you did? I just inserted the URL with the image tags.

I can certainly resize them to a sensible size as well!

KrautScientist
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

May 28th, 2014, 8:50 pm #6

No wizardry at all, I just didn't use the embed code (that doesn't work, for some reason) but the actual image URL. Cannot get the image resized, though, so that's the limit of my magical powers right there

In the long run, I'd suggest you go with the Dakka image hosting: That's what I've been doing for over two years now, and I've never ever looked back

Inquisitor's looking awesome, btw! The scion arm seems a bit long and apelike, atm, but nothing that cannot be fixed.

Now go tidy up your picture links!

EDIT: Managed to resize the picture now, via some HTML tags. But that's far too messy to be worth the trouble: Better use a suitable image hosting service

EVEN MORE EDIT: Ah, fixed now in the original post -- please just ignore my rambling

Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

May 28th, 2014, 8:56 pm #7

Thanks Kraut, yes I was being a dullard. Images fixed now, thanks!

euansmith
Major
Major

May 28th, 2014, 9:06 pm #8

The Plague Doctor is very promising and, with a slight reduction in the length of Rothschild's upper arms, he will look even more boss than he does at present.

I hadn't noticed before just how creepy the Plague Doctor's gloves are in the original illustration. You have captured that well.

Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Johannus
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

May 28th, 2014, 9:20 pm #9

@euansmith: Thanks! Yeah as I say it was pure serendipity that the clawed hand of the Corpsemaster was an exact match to the original image - I'd never noticed the long fingernails till I started this conversion either...

And yes, I see what you and Kraut mean about the arms. I think the problem is that the base mini actually has pretty short legs, even for GW's skewed proportions, so the arms are looking too long and gangly. Will hack em off and shorten them!

Cheers!

euansmith
Major
Major

May 29th, 2014, 9:59 am #10

As Ingres taught us, "correct" proportion in art is whatever you can get away with. Easier to fake in 2D than in 3D