fireangel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
fireangel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

April 1st, 2017, 5:32 am #1

Simple Question:

Are the Facebook groups that have popped up around the 28mm scene helping or hurting the community?

Discuss amongst yourselves, I will chime in once my second child is born in a few days. But I'm curious what your thoughts are.

Brambleten
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Brambleten
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

April 1st, 2017, 1:03 pm #2

I guess it depends on what you define as "The Community".

If you define it as internet forums such as here, then it's been bad. Traffic has been dropping over the past couple of years as people find that it is quicker and easier to upload photos direct from mobiles to facebook rather than stick them in to photobucket/flickr/other photo hosting service then mess around with codes.

If you define the community as the miniature gaming/painting community as a whole, it's been great. There are thousands of different groups, be it general ones like Eavier Metal or more niche groups like individual faction groups for Malifaux, so finding people with the same focus as you is easier than ever. Add in the ability for companies to promote new material to a wide range of people means that you discover miniatures and tools you might never have found otherwise, as it's a lot easier to promote new products on FB than to go to multiple forums to do it.

I know that some people don't like having their personal social media and hobby stuff mixing together and having their worlds collide, while others only keep their social media profiles for hobby stuff and people they have met through the hobby.

I personally believe that a good balance between the two is the best - instant access to new content/miniatures/feedback on FB, while forums allow you to revisit and see progress being made over time.

Alexander
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Alexander
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

April 3rd, 2017, 3:22 pm #3

As I manage two niche facebook groups, inq28 and aos28, I can't say it's a bad thing. The access and speed are certainly great. It is also much easier for those new to the hobby to discover others with similar interests. But on the other hand I think certain things are better served by the forum layout. For example, when we run Outgard last fall the way blogs and the forum allow you to keep a certain thread helped keep the project focused.

Tinners
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Tinners
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

April 4th, 2017, 9:54 pm #4

Is there an Ammobunker group on FB?

Brambleten
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Brambleten
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

April 4th, 2017, 10:27 pm #5

There is a page, but no group as far as I know.

dean
Major
Major

April 5th, 2017, 1:05 pm #6

I am on it...

Surprised I havent thought of it before.

Princess
Captain
Captain

April 5th, 2017, 4:25 pm #7

I may need to set up a FB for hobby. I deleted my personal page years ago (6 o something) so not on it. I have a seperate instagram feed now as well.

dean
Major
Major

April 5th, 2017, 4:32 pm #8

Linkys?

Princess
Captain
Captain

April 9th, 2017, 8:49 pm #9

Secret_minis on insta. Havent really sorted the FB yet!

fireangel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
fireangel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

April 23rd, 2017, 7:31 am #10

Personally I think it's a double edged sword that we have seen really play out over the last two weeks.

A) It is awesome in the way that it is bringing new people into the hobby.

but

It is not awesome in the group think/crowd mentality of people trying to "define" what contemporary modeling and the 40k universe is about. Frankly the people running around claiming they own "Blanchitsu" at the moment on facebook is getting pretty disgusting, and tiresome. I see a lot of people not giving credit to the founders of certain sub cultures and then jumping down their throats when the founders bring up issues or concerns.

Such is the way with trends on the internet though.