Edt
Sergeant
Sergeant
Edt
Sergeant
Sergeant

February 4th, 2018, 11:54 am #1

Hi all,

So while working on my Mohock Blades I stumbled down an unexpected detour. I was putting together an Adeptus Mechanicus envoy for Necromunda's noble House Catallus when I realised what I had was probably too large and elaborate for the display base I was making; so a seperate project span off from it. I haven't given up on the Mohocks, but I just got that Adeptus Mechanicus bug! So We will see a little procession of Magi and their servants from time to time as the desire strikes me. I really want to explore the vast physical variety found in the ranks of the Machine cult, and not just the military ones either; there are so many interesting sub-cults of the techno-arcana that should be fun to explore.

This thread will examine the Forge Moon of Khamove Tertius, a colony of the Forgeworld Phaeton and a regular supplier and customer of House Catallus. The background will be fleshed out more over subsequent posts.

For now, I have two WIP models to show. The first is the abeyant belonging to Archmandrite Vikram, Comptroller Locum of Khamove Tertius. Vikram is a thinker, not a fighter, so it's not bristling with weapons like many of the other abeyants out there. As you can see from the photos, there's a little greenstuff clean-up still needed- but hopefully you get the general idea. The Chakra in front of which Vikram will be haloed forms a stylised version of Phaeton's symbol; conveniently it has a solar theme, like House Cattalus' heraldic sun.

The second model is my entry to a contest in the other place, and Vikram's bodyguard; a Skitarii Spatharios. It's my attempt the reconcile some of the slightly older fluff about very individual, barbaric and intimidating Skitarii tribunes in books like Graham McNeil’s “Of Mars” trilogy with the highly impersonal and regimented Codex portrayal the force is given. I will be making a fun abeyant for him too- more of which later.

Skitarii Spatharios

"When the forces of the Adeptus Mechanicus go to war, the faceless marching columns of the Skitatii are often preceded by terrifying four-armed constructs of flesh and metal, draped in grisly trophies and barbaric furs to imitate the Thark of ancient Martian myth. These fearsome individuals are the Spatharoi or “Masters of Skitarii”, the Red Priesthood’s chosen instrument of intimidation.

"Each Spatharios is carefully engineered by the Magii to evince maximum psychological impact, a careful calibration of threat postures, dymantic theory and violent potential. Their intimidating appearance is matched by their physical strength, skill at arms and the ability to coordinate allied forces on a tactical level, making each one a considerable military asset.

"The Spatharoi have two primary functions. The first is diplomatic, acting as bodyguard and protector to emissaries sent out by Forge Worlds as a token of the Synod’s support and an implicit demonstration of the Omnissiah’s potential wrath. Their other function is on the battlefield, where a Spatharios can unleash its full killing potential at the head of a War Cohort or Maniple of Skitarii. Spatharoii have been furnished with the computational ability to coordinate tactical manoeuvres and can continue this analytical behaviour even as they launch frenzied close quarter attacks on enemy positions and high value targets.

"However, the real value of a Spatharios is more subtle. Although they pose as the commanders of Skitarii formations and can even serve as such if required, they are in truth no more autonomous or militarily vital than any other Skitarius. An enemy might commit huge resources to assassinate a Spatharios or assume that their presence in the vanguard of an assault makes the target the Machine Cult’s primary objective; Magii safely secured in distant underground bunkers or in orbit have won uncounted conflicts by utilising such misdirection."

"Pictured below is Spatharios Unit 23-7 from the Legiones Skitarii of Forge World Phaeton, presently detached for protection duty and >error92462: Classified< in the service of Archmandrite Vikram, Comptroller Locum of the mining colony of Khamove Tertius."

Ryltar Thamior
Warrant Officer Second Class
Ryltar Thamior

February 4th, 2018, 12:50 pm #2

Good grief, this is amazing.

Glad to see you're back I always love your threads as some of the highest quality logs out!

Vairocanum
Vairocanum

February 5th, 2018, 9:14 am #3

The abeyant looks great, really liking the simplicity of its looks! Unit 23-7 is fantastic too, amazing use of bits. I think the thighs look a tad thin, but that's just personal preference. Looking forward to seeing more!

Ynneadwraith
Warrant Officer First Class
Ynneadwraith

February 8th, 2018, 9:13 pm #4

Brilliant stuff in both fluff and execution

Appreciate the green men of Mars reference too

Edt
Sergeant
Sergeant
Edt
Sergeant
Sergeant

March 25th, 2018, 5:28 pm #5

So I've decided to change the name of this thread- while it will feature the Magi of Khamove Tertius, there are other little bits here and there that I want to add that don't fit on my Underhive/Spire project. It seems rather handy to have a sort of "grab bag" thread where all the random conversions go. Perhaps they fit into a grand over-arching narrative?

The first model I wanted to show is a cherub. I love doing familiars and assistants, and I particularly adore these guys so much- they are in many ways the quintessence of 40K grimdark. It always makes me happy when another one gets added to the range. I thought I'd do a cut and shut job on the Devastator cherub and the mechanical one from the WHFB Empire General- then the bits box (and possibly my recent re-reading of Pariah, whose creepy dolls always stuck with me) intervened). I assume that is what happens when you don't give a cherub a really heavy melta bomb to occupy itself with...

"Have you ever heard the tragedy of Promeus the Wise? I thought not. It's not a story the Puritans would tell you"

I also have the beginnings of a little Inquisitorial retinue. What distinguishes these guys, I think, is that they fulfil the role of antagonists (not that I play, but it makes sense when I envisage their characters). First up, we have the leader of the band; the truly diabolical Inquisitor Renningen, an alpha-level psyker and all-round villain. He's not a nice man, but limitless ambition, the need to protect the Imperium and the ability to crush a Main Battle Tank using only your mind will do that to you.

Like all evil old men in bathrobes, Renningen needs an enforcer to carry out his dirty work. That enforcer is Thard Radev, a blackshield Astartes who from his psychic hood appears to have been a Librarian at some point in his past. Presumably whatever provoked the implantation of his extensive augmetics ended his service with his Chapter.

It's unclear whether his activites are officially sanctioned or not, but Renningen has been doing some seriously dubious stuff after having come into possession of Astartes geneseed. The results of his experimentation, "The Shriven", are physically fine (although their marksmanship is noticably poorer than normal Astartes) and have provided Renningen with a private army to further his goals. But nontheless there's something seriously off about them; they never remove their helms, seem to move stiffly as in constant pain, and exhibit very little initiative or personality, to the extent that all have identical Power Armour with all features removed save an idenfitifcation serial code.

Radev commands the Shriven and appears to be responsible for executing those who exhibit any form of taint. Here's a group shot with two of the Shriven. I love how Renningen is dwarfed by the transhumans around him.

More to come- I still have a bodyguard for Renningen planned.

Soulblight
Soulblight

March 25th, 2018, 7:54 pm #6

A REALLY intimating inquisitor! And a great introduction to these questionable marines!

Looking forward to see where they end up!

Garrot
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
Garrot
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

March 25th, 2018, 8:06 pm #7

Love the librarian, truly intimidating.

KrautScientist
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

March 26th, 2018, 12:11 am #8

Your conversions never fail to impress! This is another really cool update, with the converted Librarian taking the cake (the cherub's a close second, though). I think it's awesome how different your tweaked model looks to the stock Librarian -- and how sinister he has become in the process. The Inquisitor's a cool kitbash as well, although I'd argue he doesn't read as the sinister mastermind you describe yet, but actually more like a savant to the Librarian. Now obviously that's a concept that could be toyed with, but if I were to point to something bothering me about the Inquisitor, it's that his face - while pretty cool on its own - maybe seems a bit too mangled and downtrodden. I cannot help wondering whether he would look more sinister and foreboding with a Cadian rebreather over his lower face?!

I really liked your background ideas for this group, although I will admit that a private army of Astartes strikes me as a bit over the top, both from a gaming and from a background angle. That being said, the 'wrongness' of the Astartes sounds promising, and I'll happily give you the benefit of the doubt here

This should be a treat to watch. If I seem overly critical, it's mainly because your latest update has given me so many ideas to kick around the back of my head. Fantastic work, as usual!

fireangel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
fireangel
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

March 26th, 2018, 4:59 am #9

Nice! Please tell me the Marines will be Rainbow Warriors?

euansmith
Major
Major

March 26th, 2018, 5:28 pm #10

Wow! Thard Radev is a monster.