dean's somewhat less rarely updated log, Deathwing, Dark Angel, Eldar and Cadians Orks

dean
Major
Major

September 24th, 2007, 7:00 pm #1

Edit April 8 wrote: Westley: Who are you? Are we enemies? Where's Buttercup?
Inigo Montoya: Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.

A foreword is probibly required here. I started this log back in the dark past of the Ammobunker's birth... I'm dean... Or Dean if you prefer... I harbor no illusions that I am a master painter, I am aiming for a bit better than TableTop quality and I occasionally have flashes of briliance but I am no Deadley or Spikeyjames. I'm 38 years old with 3 children and a loving supportive wife who tolerates and encourages me in my hobby. I dont feel the need to keep making new logs every time I start something new so a table of contents is in order (especially as I am nearing 60 pages) Also dont let the quality of the painting on this page cause you to skip this Plog. I am sometimes scared at how much better this forum has let me get. :

My first year here I painted 6 squads of Deathwing, A LRC (Angelus) and various and assorted characters which start on this page and continue to 'Ard boyz 08
The Eldar project sprang from the "Tale of a couple dozen gamers" which was a site wide competition. They start on page 27: Eldar
Grey Knights and Deathwatch with the AB Inquisitor are on page 60. Nobody expects the Inqisition!
Fine... I didnt finish the Inquisistion.. I'll get back to it soon. Deathwing Squads Septius, Nonus and LRC "Sally" start again on page 67 Deathwing reboot
The Cadian Reboot starts on page 79... You have to wade through the last of the Deathwing and a Fortress of Redemption but the new camo scheme starts Here and includes some very nice tanks
The Cake
Deathwing squad Decius, random DA minis and the Deathwing company banner start on Page 99 in a buildup to Ard boyz 2010
The Guard "To Do" list
Hah... Undead Robots (necrons) on page 104
Back to the Guard... Sigh... Page 108
Necron Tutorial: Page 109
Kasrkin: page 111
Fortress of Redemption:Page 117
Guard Tankfest: Page 120
Castles of Steel, Deathwatch, & spare stormies on page 122
BrownCoats, or DKoK Page 128
Ironwing (Dark Angels) reboot startspage 133
Assault squad page 138

The DA 5th co refit progress report. page 143
Angels of Vengeance AoBR termiespage 147
The start of the Dark Vengeance boxPage 150
Contemptor!page 153
Nephilim that turns into, "What the Hell. Lets build a Ravenwing!"Page 156
My first VindicatorPage 163
WAAAGH the... Page 173

Still waiting are various fantasy armies (Update: Fantasy Empire and DE can be found at Poofty shirts and Steel) (and an itch to do Orks and Necrons) and I will update this post with page numbers when I start them.... Be warned! Random minis will creep in at any time.... Now back to our regularly scheduled PLog....

I am a lazy git for now and this is a direct copy of what I posted on my log on Warseer:
wrote:Hi guys.  Played 'ardboyz tourny over the weekend.  Lessons learned: 
1.) Pay attention to deployment! 
2.) If I have a stray "I should do this..." thought, Act on it. 
3.) Re-review deployment for the third heat, You (me) have probibly eF'ed it up.

Here is what I posted in the DA tactica yesterday about my 'ardboyz experience:
dean wrote:So anybody place?   I didn't but my buddy did.  I goofed on deployment on the 2nd scenario. (vs my buddy.  Drive 2 hours to play new people and had to play my usual opponent...)   However I was the only one at our tournie that correctly read the scenario brief as "reinforcements may arrive via any table edge".

I didnt expect to place because I brought a ballanced list to a cheese fest.  However I could have if I had kept my head together and not made some stupid mistakes.
So after moping a bit yesterday (dont know why, I had a blast, laughed myself hoarse and knew I would lose anyway) I got my paintbox out and pulled out my assault termie squad, went and wrote a Doublewing list, and started painting the Assault termies.

Work WILL progress apace for Captain Ubiquitous and the demi squad for Devi squad 10. Splitting LC fire will be a huge asset. (and I've already got them painted green.)

Pics later today (tomorrow morning for those of you @ or east of GMT). One guy had some AWESOME Steel Legion but I didnt get to play him.
My door prize from going to the tourny was a single DW termie so that is what sparked a change of direction for me since I now have a full 5 squads.

And here is a recycled pic of the assault termi squad as my start point yesterday.

and my first squad of DW

And spam and off topic is cheerfully allowed.
NHL hockey season is almost upon us so I may get to watch some games this year (while I paint). Actually I have painted more since I got that TV table than I painted the two years before that. (Of course Mrs dean (Angela. quite appropriate for a DA player) and I have only been married for 2yrs, 9 months.)

Death Korp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Death Korp
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

September 24th, 2007, 7:14 pm #2

Nice, i like them. Good, clean paint job. Looking forward to more!

DK

Jasevx
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Jasevx
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

September 24th, 2007, 7:19 pm #3

As a follower of your log on the 'other' site, great to see you here! Now lets see some painting

Stoss55
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Stoss55
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

September 24th, 2007, 11:54 pm #4

great DW. they are very clean. keep it up, i look forward to more.

dean
Major
Major

September 25th, 2007, 1:26 am #5

So whats the rule on spamruns here... Twoo seems to have posted in all the threads since I left work today.

Right, here's what I got done yesterday. Just the basecoat and lowlight shading.

And I dug these guys out for Jase:

My dad was an auto mechanic for 40 years or so and he taught me a few things, like every mechanic has a BFH (Big Frakking Hammer) in his toolbox so I gave my mechanic one also. I will be working on them also over the next few weeks.

No painting will be done tonight (stupid soccer (erm.. football) practice) so I am going to sit and finish cleaning my other set of LCs.

Stoss55
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Stoss55
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

September 25th, 2007, 2:42 am #6

dean wrote: So whats the rule on spamruns here... Twoo seems to have posted in all the threads since I left work today.
yeah, i got a PM from a mod about that. just being an active poster. noone else was on to post, so my name was the only one. i'll post less from now on. will that make people happy?

oh, and you're progress on your termies is coming nicely.

Jasevx
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Jasevx
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

September 25th, 2007, 7:55 am #7

Thats the ruling on this site, proper conversation and humourous banter is allowed, Spam and bumping not! Keep the community spirit without the hit on the waveband.

Oh Termies are awesome, you've certainly caught up with your nemisis quickly

dean
Major
Major

September 25th, 2007, 1:22 pm #8

But is it really spam and or bumping if he has something to say about every thread and is the only one online?

Anyway.. Dont have anything to say about my BFH Jase?

And if Deadley gets going he will whip my arse.

Brush Your Teeth
Warrant Officer First Class
Brush Your Teeth

September 25th, 2007, 1:32 pm #9

Termies are looking good Dean, one thing i would advise though is to try and sort them out with some 40mm bases if your going to be wanting to use these at tournaments, just as the current terminators are issued with 40mm bases, all other terminators are expected to have a 40mm base aswell.

Although, if these are just for friendly games or display then they'll do just fine on 20mm.

dean
Major
Major

September 25th, 2007, 3:36 pm #10

Well until GW makes a ruling (and stops selling metal termies on 25mil bases) according to page 6 they are still legal...

90% of my games are friendly but I am considering making some "donut" bases and magnetizing them for a quick change if somebody has a problem. I just really dont want to have to buy a 2" sabool tray to cart termies around in because I will have to throw out two trays for it to fit.