[AoS] Backwater Shyish

vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

7:22 PM - Jun 13, 2017 #1

I wanted to take a break from sick mutated monstrosities of Nurgle, and paint some clean, nice miniatures. How I ended up here remains a mystery.

Shyish is the Wind of Magic signifying transience, and the realm where this wind reigns. This is Shyish, but not its heart. This is the borderland, the backwater, away from necropolis cities and skeletal strongholds. There, in woods and bogs, even the power of Death falters and will to live, stubbornness, and memory trump mortality. And these are the denizens of the backwater, faintly remembering the worlds long gone, unconcerned by the wars of the gods.

~~~

I'm planning to make this a longer project: a sizeable band of backwater rabble, nominally an army of the Alliance of Death. I'm trying to focus on texture, and to strike a balance between gritty, expressive, and good-looking.

I am more or less ignorant of the AoS setting, but these are big Realms, so maybe my Backwater Shyish will fit somewhere.

So far, I really enjoyed painting the ghouls, and I'm looking forward to my first skirmish games.

Enjoy!

WarbossKurgan
Warrant Officer First Class
WarbossKurgan

9:14 AM - Jun 14, 2017 #2

I really like this project - I look forward to seeing more!
vtek wrote:I am more or less ignorant of the AoS setting, but these are big Realms, so maybe my Backwater Shyish will fit somewhere.
Ignorant of the setting or not, you've hit on something that absolutely works in AoS. All the Realms are big enough to fit almost anything without it feeling wrong - there are already several mentions of places far away from the main story lines - the uncivilised wilds of the Realms. Backwater fits in without a problem.

euansmith
Major
Major

8:55 PM - Jun 26, 2017 #3

I like your choice of colours on your Backwater Rabble.

vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

10:39 AM - Jul 15, 2017 #4

Thanks, guys!

Painting some skeletons.

I got a _really_ small brush, so I can make very silly freehands now.

euansmith
Major
Major

12:22 PM - Jul 21, 2017 #5

Those a really nicely finished. That kind of Slavic/Medieval artwork on the round shield is a cool touch.

vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

9:03 AM - Oct 30, 2017 #6

The villagers heard clashing steel and rattling bones. The dead were marching out of the woods, bearing the signs of the Pelican and the Death of Birds. The warriors were looking ahead, paying little attention to the living. It was not the first time they come there, and it would not be the last.

Maybe they are answering the call of an unknown warlord, mustering for a battle. Or maybe they wander with no purpose, by the strength of habit repeating the marches of forgotten wars.

At night the warriors will put up camp. While sitting by dead fires, they will look like they are talking, reminiscing years of toil and battles of old. But lipless skulls will produce no sound that a mortal could hear.

They took a while, didn't they!

Every one of them is a test model of sorts: I was trying different shades of red and different techniques for painting bone. I think they look reasonably consistent for members of a single unit; anyway, while working at one or two minis at a time, it would be boring to paint them all the same way.

No conversions, but I managed to paint some freehand designs (sometimes just basic ones) on every skeleton.

Next time: my entry for the Dark Age of Sigmar Monster Competition.

AceOfBlades
AceOfBlades

10:47 PM - Nov 01, 2017 #7

That's some beautiful freehand work.

Mind pointing me towards the brush you've been using?

Demorte
Demorte

2:24 PM - Nov 02, 2017 #8

Very nice force, I like the colors and debth of the models.

vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

10:21 AM - Nov 03, 2017 #9

Thanks, guys!

AceOfBlades - the brush I use for freehand is a really old brush that used to belong to my grandpa (seriously). I think it's a sharp round or retouch 00.

vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant
vtek
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

9:56 PM - Nov 03, 2017 #10

Sometimes it appears during moots, at shrines, or by travellers' fires. You know it is coming when you hear quiet thumps of sparrows and finches dropping lifeless on the ground.

The locals offer it sacrifices and do its will without dissent. In a land forsaken by human gods, you worship an avian deity by necessity.

One day, by a dark twist of fate or by the malice of the Changer of Ways, you may start finding bird carcasses on your path. And then, you may find yourself on a glade, with dead birds strewing it like dry leaves.

Then run.

The Death of Birds is my entry for the Dark Age of Sigmar Monster Competition, and the leader of my Shyish rabble.