AceOfBlades
Warrant Officer First Class
AceOfBlades

2:46 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #21

Thanks for the replies guys. Glad the Huntsmistress has been well received. Like I said, she's become a personal favourite. Maybe even more so than the Rogue Trader mini she's meant to serve.

@DV-8: That's the look I was going for so I'm glad it came across that way. As for the priest I thought the same thing about the size too and almost used a different head but after looking at it for a while and mentally stripping away the metal I actually think it's pretty reasonably proportioned. You are right thought that it looks a bit bulky off that bat.

@Euan: Glad you like the fluff. Like I said it's an idea I've had for a while now, around the time of the Pilgrim game actually. If I remember right it was sparked by something Stygian_Thornes Spyrehead group. It didn't hurt that one of the Dark Heresy books mentioned a building designed in a way to aid in the summoning of a deamon. So not only is the fluff spot on 40K but actually has merit in the setting. /ramble

euansmith
Major
Major

6:23 PM - Oct 07, 2018 #22

There was a 1980's comic called "Mr X". The central plot revolved around a place called Radiant City. It had been designed by an architect who studied "psychotecture"; the science of influencing mood through the form of buildings and their interiors. He'd designed the perfect city, but had then been committed to an asylum by his opponents. They then built the city; but cut corners on materials and construction, creating the opposite of the desired effect. Instead of being an oasis of calm and peace, it became a nexus for suicide and murder. It was a neat idea; like an modern version of Divine Proportion or Feng Shui.

AceOfBlades
AceOfBlades

10:21 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #23

Huh, sounds interesting. Might need to look into it and promptly add it to my massive backlog of literature (comics count as books right?).

Okay so first up the finished WiP from the last page and the last couple (new) minis I actually have painted.

The Huntsmistress: One of the Chartist Captains inner circle. In charge of organising hunts throughout the ship to keep the star-bound nobles entertained and complacent as well as overseeing the acquisition of new game on the many planets that the ship visits along its trade route. Many a time has she saved a witless fools life from a creature she considers to be much more noble than they.
CrewmanHuntsMistress.jpg
I still need to add a few highlights here and there and will probably add some white to the bones to show that they are routinely polished, especially on the birdskull on her shoulder to create a stronger visual connection with her helmet. The paint scheme is also pretty much what I have in mind for the rest of the character models (a lot of red) but I'm afraid this will remove them too much from the mostly brown henchmen. Thoughts? I'll try organise to get some better pics taken and get a group shot of them. 

The Priest: Where better than a ship to carry the word of The Emperor far and wide to the willing and unwilling alike?  Priest.jpg Only actually about 80%ish finished. I still have to pic out some details on his breast-plate, the skulls in the reliquary and add some shadow to better define his well toned arms.

This next character is just one of the henchmen but I like to think he's a disgraced noble due to the feather, his haircut and the ornate looking lasgun. Last of the nobodies I have planned but still have a few ideas for some of the higher-ups jumbling around in my head.
CrewmanNobleish.jpg
Last but hopefully not least is my actual Chartist Captain. Still a long ways to go but it's been fun so far.
RogueTrader.jpg Still have to finish the arm ruffs and the boots as well as some little details here and there. While she hasn't been a complete success I am happy with how my GS skills are developing.
Here's her with her head and before the jacket was greenstuffed to show that she didn't always look like she enjoyed her pies.
20180628_210733.jpg Her and the Huntsmistress are both over a head taller than the regular crew-members and if you notice they both have high collars. These are two small design elements I'm hoping to use in the rest of my higher-ups to tie them together visually.

Anyway let me know what you guys think. All comments, suggestions and criticisms are welcome because at the end of the day it can only help me improve. Also I take suggestions on names as the best I have for the captain so far is 'Captain thunder thighs'. I'm really bad with names. Also if anyone could point me towards other minis/sets with high collars that would be grand.

euansmith
Major
Major

4:34 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #24

I'm loving the slashed clothing. The Huntress is spot-on too.

Ghosty
Sergeant
Sergeant
Ghosty
Sergeant
Sergeant

9:58 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #25

I would love to know how you did her ruff! I tried to make one following these instructions

http://greenstuff-gretchin.blogspot.com ... ruffs.html

but mine just didn't come out nearly as well. Your huntmistress is fantastic, and Captain lightning legs is really coming along. I think her sword could be changed perhaps; it looks a little stumpy for her otherwise grandiose frame. In one of my (many) side projects I have been fiddling with making a dueling rapier for a fantasy knight. I found the Sepulchral Guard 'Champion'  sword is rather perfect for making a refined blade. Just some food for thought!

Ynneadwraith
Ynneadwraith

11:26 AM - Yesterday #26

Lovely GS work dude :) I'm really liking how the Slaaneshi cult leader is shaping up