Players paying other players?

Players paying other players?

madtown
madtown

November 19th, 2007, 10:13 pm #1

Apparently, some of the Packers' secondary players have been offering bonuses or incentives to other players to meet certain defensive goals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3119097

I knew it was against the rules for a team to pay a player to go out and injure an opposing player (ie, put a bounty out on someone). But, I didn't know this would fall into that category.

What could happen if the league finds out the accusation is true. Fine the team? Suspend the guilty players for a time? Make it legal?

madtown

kw1

November 20th, 2007, 4:30 am #2

Yah ... great minds! LOL

If you ever met me ... I'd be affraid to post THAT!

Have a good one
KW

j4
j4

November 20th, 2007, 2:10 pm #3

Probably dirty politics from jealous competitors. Trying to distract the team, hoping to get an asterisk beside our possible sb win that says yeah but they cheated. I wonder who would do such a thing? Detroit? Minny-fergy, shermy,...... hmmm anyway. I bet every team does it-or maybe just the good teams. Look what butler said

Week 10: LeRoy Butler analyzes Panthers-Packers game
Posted: Nov. 19, 2007

LeRoy Butler
5 Questions

Q. It has been reported that some of the Packers' defensive backs have set up incentives for their defensive line in which they'll pay cash or gift certificates if they'll keep the opponent from rushing for a specific number of yards. Did this happen when you were a player and is it ethical?

A. Oh yeah, we did that all the time. It was fun. We would put money in a pot and whoever got the interception would win the pot. If we held Barry Sanders, that one time we held him to negative yards, some of our offensive guys were giving us money. It's different if I get $100 bucks from like Brett Favre or Al Harris or Reggie White than getting 100 grand from the team. It's different. The guys are showing you how much they appreciate what you've done. I loved that. It's almost like you're playing a game within itself. There's more incentive when it comes from your teammate. It's like him saying, 'I need you this week. Every week I need you but this week is special. We have a guy who's coming in and has been destroying every team. We'll put some money in the pot and whoever gets a big hit or whoever stops him, great. Here's some cash.' When your teammates do something like that it makes you feel good. I think it's an awesome gesture.