WTC 7 Vertical Shockwave Progression

Analysis of fire and collapse theories and examination of related evidence.

WTC 7 Vertical Shockwave Progression

August 4th, 2009, 1:27 pm #1

Shockwave traversing down the East side of the North face of WTC 7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx2Kx2AkXEg

Please download the 1280x720 HD copy and upload it to another location:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A9SCYN9X
I'm afraid it's rather large (300Mb)

August 4th, 2009, 2:58 pm #2

Smearogram of the relevant position, showing the progression of the shockwave relative to the descent of the East penthouse:

August 5th, 2009, 2:22 pm #3

Of course.

This is a video, which shows the fall of the penthouse/penthouse through the building.

The entire section is in freefall or at near freefall acceleration.

The penthouse was supported by columns 79,80,81.

NIST scenario involves only slow buckling/ collapse of column 79 which is than followed by column 80 and a long time after that by 81.

The NIST scenario can not explain the penthouse freefall in any way.

If you study the penthouse suction in 3D than you can see a major smoke suction about 0,5 before the begginig of the penthouses's north wall collapse.

This means that the collapse started by simultaneous collapse of CC 81 and 80.

April 12th, 2011, 4:13 pm #4

Smearogram for WTC7 Cam#3 view...

The upward progression is visible on quite a few of the smearogram video frames, but the still above highlights the rapid traversal quite well.

April 12th, 2011, 4:19 pm #5

No doubt recent discussion *over there* has been seen by folk here, so probably prudent to summarise...

Folk didn't like the word *shockwave*, preferring *flexure*, which is fine.

As far as I'm concerned the behaviour being highlighted would tend to support the notion of failure low-down in WTC 7 beneath the East penthouse propogating rapidly up inside the building, until it reached the East penthouse, at which the *flexure* caused by penthouse structure itself can be seen traversing down inside the building.

The start of East penthouse descent is in very close proximity to the upward *flexure*, and would tend to suggest quite a complex internal behaviour (you could almost say the start of the East penthouse descent began before the upwards flexure, which would make describing the internal behaviour a bit difficult)

April 12th, 2011, 4:32 pm #6

Yes, I've followed it. Ugh.

Not technically a shockwave, fine. Nice renderings, though.

April 12th, 2011, 5:13 pm #7

I've automated the smearogram video production. Stick a normal video in one end, out pops a smearogram video.

If you need one doing for anything, no worries.

April 15th, 2011, 7:00 am #8

just for the record I have been watching these smearograms here and in another place.

At this stage I am unable to mentally process what they show. The squeaky sound you may hear is rusty brain cells attempting to get on board the paradigm. I will - I am quite strong in visualising skills - but at this stage the changed frame of reference still eludes me.

Eric C

April 15th, 2011, 12:29 pm #9

I've automated the smearogram video production. Stick a normal video in one end, out pops a smearogram video.
I have finally figured out how to "read" your video smearograms (as opposed to the stills).

If nothing else useful comes out of this whole kerfuffle the smearogram is a great analytical tool and will have been worth all the trouble.

January 19th, 2012, 5:18 pm #10

I've been thinking about bldg 7 and some of the observations and have been trying to *connect the dots*.. the so called observations and would like to toss out some points for comment / discussion.. in no order of importance or sequence.

Witness Wm Rodriguez reported hearing an explosion in the sub basement of tower 1, just before he heard the plane strike. I would suggest that they were simultaneous events with the time delay related to the the fact the explosion was caused by a voltage spike which exploded some transformers in the sub basement where there was one or two of the 8 sub stations in each tower. He heard the plane 1 second after it hit because it was 1100 feet away.

The Con Ed substation under Bldg 7 was massive and supplied much of lower Manhattan including the WTC with electricity. It's possible that the same voltage spike affected the sub station in Bldg 7 and caused fires and or explosions after gas was generated from the insulating oil ignited.

Witness Jennings who had rushed to the 23 floor NYC Emergency Response Center when the first plane struck, found no one there and took the stairs down and at the 8th floor, just above the Con Ed sub station he experience a massive explosion. This might have been caused by the explosion of the escaped gas from the transformers.

Exploding sub station:

Transformer explosions
"Transformer and oil-filled high voltage equipment may give rise to very strong explosions. A severe electrical fault inside the transformer may well generate pressure that the transformer casing cannot withstand, such that it ruptures. Due to the high temperature and energy released from the arc, the insulating oil will decompose and highly explosive gas mixtures will result (mainly Hydrogen and Acetylene). Upon transformer rupture, gas and oil mist will be ejected to the surrounding area, mix with air and a secondary explosion may occur. If transformers are located indoors or in subterranean stations the pressure loads can amount to more than a bar overpressure. In subterranean stations pressure waves may propagate through tunnels and corridors without weakening and pressure loads can become substantial in areas located far away from the actual explosion."

Bldg 7 was a rather unique structural design. It was built over top of a 7 story high Con Ed Sub station. See the plans:

http://whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICL ... eport.html

Part of the central core area on the East side... was above the Con Ed sub station and supported by massive transfer trusses 1 and 2. And this was directly below the East Penthouse which descended right through the building.

The entire core above the East side of the sub station was like building a tower on the a bridge span. If the span fails, the tower above plunges down with no resistance... there wasn't any axial load support below the span of the trusses.

The height of the sub station corresponds to the distance of the free fall descent of the facade. If the failure was at the 8th floor decoupling the facade from the structure (spandrels) perhaps destroying or translating horizontally the facade of the first 8 floors.. it would allow the curtain wall facade to drop with no resistance. This however would mean that all connections of the facade to the structure above the 8th floor were no longer functioning.

The inward bowing of the facade as it descends, plus the prior descent of the East penthouse before movement of the curtain wall suggests that by the time the curtain wall began to descend there was no structure at all behind it. The inward bowing also suggests that the core had gone first and the floors and structure may have plunged into it like water into a drain at the center of a sink.

There was not much if anything ejected through the facade as it descends indicating that not much was going on behind it at that point... What had been there was either gone or still connected (not likely) but certainly not being blasted apart as it would shatter the fragile glass of the curtain wall. The curtain wall's descent looks like a structure will little internal stress... as would be expected in free fall motion.

The fires were not fought all day as the water mains had been destroyed when tower one was struck or when it came down. This may have included fire suppression in the Sub station allowing the oil and gas released by the failed transformers to burn and attack trusses 1 and 2 as well as the 8 stories of 5 columns on the north of the core and south of the sub station separating core from sub station.

There were no sounds of explosions during the descent of the facade/curtain wall as this was a result of the transfer trusses and remaining core columns up to floor 8 giving way at the same instant having lost strength.

The above seems to suggest that the bldg 7 came down because of the design which put the mass of the tower over the Con Ed substation which when it failed provided the energy to destroy the transfer trusses and weaken the core up to the 8th floor to where they collapsed in on itself pulling free from the relatively weak bolted connections to the curtain wall.

What say you?
Last edited by SanderO on January 20th, 2012, 3:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

January 19th, 2012, 6:49 pm #11

January 19th, 2012, 9:13 pm #12

Something exploded on that floor... Do you think that there were no things which could explode from the fires?

January 20th, 2012, 9:05 am #13

The point is that the "explosion" occurred only a few minutes before the collapse (unusual timing) and that it was accompanied with heavy smoke release from below. Either it was very big (flames traveling the elevator shafts) or there were two "explosions" at different levels .. and maybe a local collapse. And I can't think of any sufficiently large fuel source that could cause the explosion (only tonner containing methanol or some oil in the elevator system...)

I'd also like to know how would you explain the leaning of WTC7 in the last two minutes.

January 20th, 2012, 2:50 pm #14

As an overall overview sander, thats great, infact i enjoy the effort you put into a post.

Just sayin, whether your right or wrong.

Be lucky.

January 20th, 2012, 4:05 pm #15

Isn't it odd that there is so little discussion about what was going in the sub station at the bottom of Bldg 7? ... of about things inside the towers which could explode... not placed explosives?

The massive smoke seen in the video emerging from down below seems like it was coming from the substation...

Why don't we have any diagrams of what was down there?