New 850 on the way.

New 850 on the way.

September 27th, 2010, 2:48 pm #1

Hi all. Newb here. Been looking and reading and pondering for a long while, finally made the dcecision NOT to get a springer - went for the 850 instead. It made more sense for what I do and how I do it. THEN I found this forum. Amazing stuff, all you guys. As a wood carver, my first project just might be a new stock. And from the kind of thing that I usually do (walking staffs & canes w scraps turned into war hammers, billy clubs and fish bonkers...lol) the result might be rather "whimsical". Be that as it may, I'm delighted to have found y'all.

PS: Got the 850 for what I consider a good deal via Amazon. .22 cal. w the mounted Leepers 3-9X32AO scope...which will eventually be traded off for some better glass. Several major vendors were offering the pkg at Amazon even though they didn't on their own sites...for the same cost as what they were asking for the 850 alone. So, it's a free scope...kinda.

PPS: I ended up getting it online cause I'd used the Pat McManus "gun lamp" thing just two months ago.

September 28th, 2010, 12:37 am #2

Interesting twist. Got a call from the actual vendor...one of the big online airgun places...which was nice. But also not nice...the 850 I ordered was not in stock "as the scoped version" (even though the Amazon information clearly showed it was in stock and available). Sure they had other versions with scopes, for more money than the "deal" at Amazion. Uh Huh. Right. No, that's OK go ahead and cancel, thanks anyway (trying to be polite through clenched teeth!). Then the other shoe drops...but they COULD give me a good discount on an unscoped version. Like what? Well, it was really a very good discount! So I went ahead and OK'd the order. And now an unscoped 850 is on the way. So it's both good and bad. Bad that I was misled by the "system" into an order that apparently didn't have a prayer of going through. Good that I got the added discount that more than made up for the loss of a scope I wasn't really thrilled about anyway. Now I get to apply the savings, and a bit more (maybe a big bit) to a new scope and mount of my own choosing. So here we go again..research and decisions! Who knows, maybe my Gopher population will be so impacted by my new "Iron 850" (denoting the naked iron sights) that I'll pass on the scope! (Yeah, right.)

September 28th, 2010, 1:17 pm #3

Welcome Olcarver. I am too a newb. However I like to see myself as an intermediate now as I've done a few mods thanks to the resource. Tony and simon especially as we are from uk.

I think you made a wise decision dropping the springer for the 850. Hellish fun to shoot not to mention it can be modded to hell and back lol

Well I hope to hear more of this stock you are thinking of making. Make sure you post plenty of pictures as we all love to see our handy work . Isn't that right guys

Be sure to check out all the foroum as it's am abundance of helpful information and if there's something you can't find drop a post and rest assured there will be a helping hand very near more than willing to guide you on your way to turning your pot metal 850 into a super accurate, efficient great all-round rifle

Have fun

Regards

Richard

Ps. I'd like to see some of your carving skills if you have any pictures to upload
Last edited by richard850 on September 28th, 2010, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 29th, 2010, 8:33 pm #4

Hi all. Newb here. Been looking and reading and pondering for a long while, finally made the dcecision NOT to get a springer - went for the 850 instead. It made more sense for what I do and how I do it. THEN I found this forum. Amazing stuff, all you guys. As a wood carver, my first project just might be a new stock. And from the kind of thing that I usually do (walking staffs & canes w scraps turned into war hammers, billy clubs and fish bonkers...lol) the result might be rather "whimsical". Be that as it may, I'm delighted to have found y'all.

PS: Got the 850 for what I consider a good deal via Amazon. .22 cal. w the mounted Leepers 3-9X32AO scope...which will eventually be traded off for some better glass. Several major vendors were offering the pkg at Amazon even though they didn't on their own sites...for the same cost as what they were asking for the 850 alone. So, it's a free scope...kinda.

PPS: I ended up getting it online cause I'd used the Pat McManus "gun lamp" thing just two months ago.

I hope you enjoy your 850 as much as the other guys here.
If you have any questions, just give us a shout.
Roald.

The 850 Store
<a></a>

October 1st, 2010, 3:15 am #5

Welcome Olcarver. I am too a newb. However I like to see myself as an intermediate now as I've done a few mods thanks to the resource. Tony and simon especially as we are from uk.

I think you made a wise decision dropping the springer for the 850. Hellish fun to shoot not to mention it can be modded to hell and back lol

Well I hope to hear more of this stock you are thinking of making. Make sure you post plenty of pictures as we all love to see our handy work . Isn't that right guys

Be sure to check out all the foroum as it's am abundance of helpful information and if there's something you can't find drop a post and rest assured there will be a helping hand very near more than willing to guide you on your way to turning your pot metal 850 into a super accurate, efficient great all-round rifle

Have fun

Regards

Richard

Ps. I'd like to see some of your carving skills if you have any pictures to upload
Thanks for the welcome you lot. So, where in the UK. Well, only one so far. Good for now. I'm sure I'll meet more later. Any pipe smokers in the crew?

Big news of the day...the 850 arrived! Slightly larger & more substantial than I had anticipated, even with the same findings of other new owners ringing in my ears. Amazing! It feels like a real rifle. First major joyous discovery: Good Gawd! This trigger is so light & crisp...right out of the box! Too, even though I call them 'fiber slop-tic' sights, in the darkeness of this late Fall evening they GLOWED! I've looked at a lot of other fiber optics over time and none of them are as bright as this. Excellent! This is gonna be fun!

Pics of my carvings. Oh my. Well, here goes, I'll pick a few different kinds of things. Over 20 walking sticks, numerous 'Kake', smoking pipes, etc. I just finished a Sockeye Salmon 'fish club' and am now working on a Viking War Club! So...here goes:

Details from "Campfire Stories/Conan" walking staff.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The Sultan (another walking stick)

[/IMG]

A "kake" - upon which a Japanese Katana rests.

[/IMG]

Pipe carving project:

[/IMG]

"The Maltese Falcon" pipe tamper.

[/IMG]

There! OH Wait! I almost forgot!

[/IMG]

October 1st, 2010, 2:56 pm #6

I hope you enjoy your 850 as much as the other guys here.
If you have any questions, just give us a shout.
Roald.

The 850 Store
<a></a>
Thanks for the welcome Roald! I appreciate it. You mentioned that if I had any questions, this was the place to ask them. Well, here's one. I've seen no data, and I have looked, re: barrel cleaning...either concerning proceedure or frequency. I have seen info. that barrel cleaning isn't nearly the issue with air guns that it is with powder burning pieces...but it still must be important! The manual that came with my new 850 has NO MENTION of barrel cleaning whatsoever! I've seen BB Pelletguy's threads with the JB Paste cleaner details over at the PrmdAr site and wonder whether running a bronze brush with a bit of JB's on it down and back about 50 times would be a benefit or a detriment on the 850. Also, any tips for protecting the breech area from "spray" when doing the cleaning, which I assume has to be done from the muzzle? Thanks in advance for your detailed and cogent response. lol

October 1st, 2010, 3:51 pm #7

I have three 850's..two on HPA and one on CO2...both the HPA rifles are used in competition each month..plus occasional hunting..

I clean my barrels with dry patches every 200-300 shots...usually three-four patches is enough..

I recommend getting a "crown saver"..

****...do not use a metal cleaning rods or wire brushes,etc..****

Link..scroll down to "Cleaning",...then click on "Crown Saver"

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

Set rifle in rest..insert crown saver at muzzle pushing thru to breech.(Bolt open).I use tweezers to pull loop out of breech...insert patch,then pull patch thru barrel..about every six months,I use AOA's cleaner/degreaser on a patch..then follow with dry patches...also...if you put rifle in storage good idea to run patch thru bore with some REM oil..

Note: After cleaning barrel,shoot at least 10 pellets to 'normalize' barrel before doing any serious target shooting..
Last edited by richwoods on October 1st, 2010, 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 1st, 2010, 6:16 pm #8

Thanks for the welcome you lot. So, where in the UK. Well, only one so far. Good for now. I'm sure I'll meet more later. Any pipe smokers in the crew?

Big news of the day...the 850 arrived! Slightly larger & more substantial than I had anticipated, even with the same findings of other new owners ringing in my ears. Amazing! It feels like a real rifle. First major joyous discovery: Good Gawd! This trigger is so light & crisp...right out of the box! Too, even though I call them 'fiber slop-tic' sights, in the darkeness of this late Fall evening they GLOWED! I've looked at a lot of other fiber optics over time and none of them are as bright as this. Excellent! This is gonna be fun!

Pics of my carvings. Oh my. Well, here goes, I'll pick a few different kinds of things. Over 20 walking sticks, numerous 'Kake', smoking pipes, etc. I just finished a Sockeye Salmon 'fish club' and am now working on a Viking War Club! So...here goes:

Details from "Campfire Stories/Conan" walking staff.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The Sultan (another walking stick)

[/IMG]

A "kake" - upon which a Japanese Katana rests.

[/IMG]

Pipe carving project:

[/IMG]

"The Maltese Falcon" pipe tamper.

[/IMG]

There! OH Wait! I almost forgot!

[/IMG]
hi olcarver im in the north east near newcastle, and you?? well those are works or art right there, I like the kake alot, love bonsai etc, I sure cant wait for you to ditch that 850 synthetic (you mean PLASTIC !!) stock and show us what you are capable of, and im sure its more than me lol heres the stock Im in the process of making, although I have limited tooling and I did find the wood in a rubbish bin lol

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

keep me posted on the great work, and you upcoming mods

HPA all the way

regards

Richard

October 2nd, 2010, 2:38 am #9

I have three 850's..two on HPA and one on CO2...both the HPA rifles are used in competition each month..plus occasional hunting..

I clean my barrels with dry patches every 200-300 shots...usually three-four patches is enough..

I recommend getting a "crown saver"..

****...do not use a metal cleaning rods or wire brushes,etc..****

Link..scroll down to "Cleaning",...then click on "Crown Saver"

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/

Set rifle in rest..insert crown saver at muzzle pushing thru to breech.(Bolt open).I use tweezers to pull loop out of breech...insert patch,then pull patch thru barrel..about every six months,I use AOA's cleaner/degreaser on a patch..then follow with dry patches...also...if you put rifle in storage good idea to run patch thru bore with some REM oil..

Note: After cleaning barrel,shoot at least 10 pellets to 'normalize' barrel before doing any serious target shooting..
Well, I guess there's a whole lot I have to re-learn. I've owned several centerfire rifles that needed to be cleaned from the muzzle...so I used a bore guide. I do like the concept of pulling something through the bore from the breech...that would solve the problem of having solvents and such all over the breech area. But so would using dry patches I guess.

Why only dry patches? I've read somewhere that the low velocity of air rifles does not result in lead fouling of the barrel. Is this why you don't clean them often? Is it why you only use dry patches?

When the blog guy (BB Pelletier...very cute name) over at Pyramid recommends using the JB bore cleaner...kind of like lapping the barrel, it sounds like...is that bunk? It sounds like in that process one is 'polishing' the bore...removing any burrs, etc. left following manufacture. And the paste is introduced into the bore via a bronze bristle cleaning brush...yet you recommend not using a brush. It seems as though I'm getting conflicting opinions on the "proper way".

So ultimately, I'm confused (poor little me). I certainly appreciate your taking the time and effort to help me along. Could I ask you to help just a bit more? While I easily see the logic behind the bore puller thing, why no brush, etc.?

October 2nd, 2010, 3:14 am #10

hi olcarver im in the north east near newcastle, and you?? well those are works or art right there, I like the kake alot, love bonsai etc, I sure cant wait for you to ditch that 850 synthetic (you mean PLASTIC !!) stock and show us what you are capable of, and im sure its more than me lol heres the stock Im in the process of making, although I have limited tooling and I did find the wood in a rubbish bin lol

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

keep me posted on the great work, and you upcoming mods

HPA all the way

regards

Richard
It looks like that one's coming along nicely. In response to your question, I live in Western Oregon...that's one up from California. I'm just 10 miles south of Portland...largest city in the state...fertile valley, conifers all over, volcanos, kinda wet by most folks standards...ocean is 100 miles to the west...mountains 100 miles to the east...moderate temps...no bugs to speak of...not too humid...God vacations here! lol

Glad you liked the Kake. Here's the only other one I've done...still got it, the Pine one sold pretty quick...couple hundred dollars US. Material is pine shelf board bought at local home stuff store.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]