my home made stock

my home made stock

January 2nd, 2012, 6:25 pm #1

Hi all

Got fed up - and actually ruined my Reg - removing the feed nipple etc to remove the bottle to remove the breech to remvoe the stock (phew!) for maintenance and mashed pellet clearance etc. You know the drill

Fixing those Reg leaks became a nightmare as it would be airtight on the bench but not when reassembled in the stock, grrrrrr!

It also took a whole lotta air to refill that bottle each time!

Eventually I Mullered the gauge and fill nipple threads completely and had to get a new Reg so, before fitting that and going through the same pain, I finally got around to making a stock whereby the complete assembly could be removed without touching the HPA components.

Not exactly a work of art, and put to shame by those beautiful hard work carved stocks, but it does the job and I can tweak and carve out or add new bits and just paint 'em up and I'm none too concerned about bashes and dings in use.

not sure if this photo link works so I'll post and see what happens!

regards and happy new year to all

L

Last edited by sixties_kid on January 2nd, 2012, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2012, 9:20 pm #2

looking good...! glad you got things sorted

January 3rd, 2012, 12:07 am #3

Hi all

Got fed up - and actually ruined my Reg - removing the feed nipple etc to remove the bottle to remove the breech to remvoe the stock (phew!) for maintenance and mashed pellet clearance etc. You know the drill

Fixing those Reg leaks became a nightmare as it would be airtight on the bench but not when reassembled in the stock, grrrrrr!

Eventually I Mullered the gauge and fill nipple threads completely and had to get a new Reg so, before fitting that and going through the same pain, I finally got around to making a stock whereby the complete assembly could be removed without touching the HPA components.

Not exactly a work of art, and put to shame by those beautiful hard work carved stocks, but it does the job and I can tweak and carve out or add new bits and just paint 'em up and I'm none too concerned about bashes and dings in use.

L

I don't know... I think it's fantastic. Practical, easy to use, adjustable... not fancy wood
so you enjoy it more. I think you did a really good job.
What are you using for that barrel band on the tank? it looks great also.
Thanks for sharing.

The 850 Store
<a></a>

January 3rd, 2012, 10:20 pm #4

Hi Roald, all

The stock is made of 25mm Birch ply laminated into an overall blank then roughed out to shape with a bandsaw, routed to let in the breech and bottle then finished with hand tools. It's black matt paint with a lacquer coat.

Aluminium - sorry, 'aluminum' - plate and rods for the adjustable stock parts and trigger guard. Shop bought black placky M4 knobs for the depth stops on the cheek and butt plates.

The barrel band is made of 12mm ply roughed with hole saws and finished to size with files and abrasive paper. I thought it was a nice touch.

Getting the under barrel support shape was the trickiest and it makes you admire the skill of the hardwood stock carvers in dealing with these shapes.

Off to the range on Saturday to try it all out and chrono the new Reg.

I'm getting into this gun smithing - here's a photo of my daughters AA S400, I modified for her for HFT with adjustable cheek piece and a Rowan engineering hamster.

L

January 4th, 2012, 4:42 pm #5

Hi all

L

cool stock! do barrel band affects accuracy? nt

January 4th, 2012, 10:51 pm #6

i'll find out Saturday!

January 9th, 2012, 5:36 pm #7

whats the overall thickness of the stock? nt

January 15th, 2012, 4:12 pm #8

hiya NT, all

it's 40mm or about 1 and 3/5ths of in inch.

I haven't profiled or 'waisted' the stock at all so this is a uniform thickness. Just weighed it all up, scope and moderator etc and it's 4.8kg or about 10.5lbs. I quite like the weight as, somewhat oddly, I enjoy standing, unsupported shooting over bench shooting. A bit of weight steadies the shot but can become tiring to hold - more exercise and stamina required!

Balance point seems just in front of the trigger guard.

Slight school boy error as I didn't make the small 2mm inlet in the stock to allow the magazine to slide into the slot now rectified.

Chrono'ed it yesterday and I'm only at 8ft/lbs so the new Reg needs dismantling and the pin reversed a la Roald but I need to wait on the pressure rated sealant to reassemble before I start that rework. I can only find one UK stockist (Farnell) for Permatex sealants and they have a minimum £20 order value so this might be a long wait!

I can still plink away quite happily with the current power and as I don't hunt with it no power worries there.

It wouldn't win any prizes for beauty, elegance or craftmanship but it solved my problem of dismantling from the stock without removing the bottle & Reg so I'm pleased all round. It does attract a bit of attention when folks see it and you get to talking about what it's based on and what you've done to it!

As a small tip and for comment, now if I want to remove the bottle and/or Reg I prefer to knock out the rolled pin and remove the barrel.

rgds and enjoy your modding.

L

January 21st, 2012, 5:05 pm #9

nice set up and simple DIY stock btw whats the inletting width and depth needed? i have a thought of following your idea

January 24th, 2012, 9:21 pm #10

hiya PSN

I took the measurements from the breech as I went along and didn't write them down.

If you're interested I'll strip it down over the weekend, take some pix and measurements for you?

rgds

Lawrenc