Controls

RaindropsMelody
Tomb Raider

May 29th, 2009, 6:24 pm #1

TR:A or TR1?

Total votes: 4
1(25%)
3(75%)

Which is harder to control, TR:A Lara, or TR1 Lara? I'm kind of at a cross roads with this one...
The promises, hollow concessions
And innocent show of affection
I touch your hand, a hologram. Are you still there?

Randy
Raider

May 29th, 2009, 11:21 pm #2

I've always felt that the original versions of Lara were easier to control especially when it comes to jumping in a certain direction.

Rai
Raider

June 4th, 2009, 2:26 pm #3

I prefer TRA's control system. Yes, lining up jumps was more precise in TR1, but I still found the fluid movements less restricting. The only problem with the newer controls is that now Lara has auto-grab as a safety net instead of the walk button. I prefer the button as it feels as if you're more in control. If you think about it, the more fluid controls wouldn't work on a tiny block 1 ft sq where one false move means certain death :imfao: . But the blocked moves of old would just seem odd with a more realistic Lara and all that ledge hopping; Lining up a jump wasn't so necessary in TRA.
When just looking isn't always enough...

Randy
Raider

June 5th, 2009, 1:11 am #4

I feel that you're right about the controls feeling odd if new Lara was working off of the older control system. The problem I find now is that using the stick to line up jumps is too hit or miss. I would have figured by now, it would be more reliable.

Spong
Raider

June 7th, 2009, 12:05 pm #5

Why's no one voted?

It's obviously all about individual perspective and, for me, Anniversary is a veritable minefield when it comes to the control system. TR1 (all the old-skool TRs in fact) in comparison has a gameplay system that's as simple as it is robust.

The problem lies with Crystal's context-sensitive control system, Lara will only perform certain moves when the game allows it, it's completely restrictive. You have no real way of knowing if Lara will make a jump in Anniversary because she does different jumps in different situations. One time she'll throw herself 10 feet across a chasm to reach a ledge, the next time she'll jump like she's broken both her ankles and plummet to her death.

The old-skool TR's gameplay have their boundaries and that's it, the rules are in place and they don't change with the situations you encounter. You can jump when you want (a jump that's always the same height or length depending on whether you're running, walking or standing still), you can grab when you want (regardless of whether there is anything to grab). All you have to do in TR1 is learn what Lara does when you press whatever button, how she reacts to your commands, how she performs in a given situation and you're all set. In TR1 dying can only be attributed to my own lack of judgement because the rules of the gameplay are simple and ubiquitous. In Anniversary the rules change constantly with the situation, you can die simply because your angle is a little bit off and the game decides Lara's not going to grab the ledge opposite.

Randy
Raider

June 7th, 2009, 9:47 pm #6

You hit the nail on the head Spong. Basically, the new games are in control and the player is not.

Edit: I missed the part where we were supposed to vote so I added my vote today.

Singstar90210
Tomb Raider

June 12th, 2009, 8:04 pm #7

To be honest, I think it depends on the perspective you play the games. Controller-wise, I would say TR:A. But computer wise and in general, I think TR1 was a lot simpler and the controls feel more customized. Sure, Lara's got more fluid moves in TR:A. But I have a lot more control in TR1 from lighting to weaponry and the problems are easy for me to fix whenever something goes wrong while playing. Anniversary has a good concept of playing up the environments and how Lara has to change her set-up, but they didn't really nail the consistency and adaptation factor that most other games had hit spot on (including TR1 ).

I'm voting TR1 even though I think that each game has its pluses and minuses on the control factor.

Speak softly and carry a big jo. - O'Leary-Liu

RaindropsMelody
Tomb Raider

June 23rd, 2009, 11:59 pm #8

I think I've made my decision; I think that TR:A is harder, and TR1 is simple easy and fun. So basically "I agree" with everyone...

The Elodessa™ corporation takes no responsibility for any party dying of boredom after reading the above post.

The promises, hollow concessions
And innocent show of affection
I touch your hand, a hologram. Are you still there?

Singstar90210
Tomb Raider

June 24th, 2009, 8:58 pm #9

:lol: Smart with the fine print.

Speak softly and carry a big jo. - O'Leary-Liu