CotN 2015 - Axles & Alloys

Con of the North discussion, questions, comments not related to a particular year.

CotN 2015 - Axles & Alloys

pekin2121
Advanced Member
pekin2121
Advanced Member

07 Jan 2015, 19:33 #1

I'm hoping to get into this event, since it's back again. It's by far my favorite car battle game. So simple, but lots of action! B)
Wherever you go....there you are.

Matt
Advanced Member
Matt
Advanced Member

10 Jan 2015, 22:18 #2

Glad to hear you're looking forward to it. Axles & Alloys is definitely a favorite "beer and pretzels" auto-combat game. Simple, fast moving, just enough detail, and always plenty of destruction and mayhem.

We have a few new vehicles to add to the mix since the last time we ran it at Con of the North. Below is a sample. Not necessarily something I'd want to see bearing down on me in my rear view mirror...

There's a time for joking around and a time to be serious; this is not one of them.

pekin2121
Advanced Member
pekin2121
Advanced Member

14 Jan 2015, 19:25 #3

That looks wicked! B)

pekin2121
Advanced Member
pekin2121
Advanced Member

28 Jan 2015, 20:05 #4

Have you ever thought about adding motorcycles (like Mad Max)? I think it would be easy the way the rules are, but ramming definitely would not be good on a bike. :lol:

Matt
Advanced Member
Matt
Advanced Member

29 Jan 2015, 16:44 #5

We haven't yet done anything with motorcycles, but incorporating them could potentially be a fun addition. I'd imagine that one of the first challenges may be finding motorcycle models in the same scale as the cars.

I believe that the rules author has stated that he wanted to keep the focus of the game on cars, but below are some draft rules for motorcyles that were created by someone in the author's gaming group.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motorcycles

Motorcycles are treated much like cars. Small, incredibly fragile cars.

Light Bikes have MAX 28, ACC 8, DEC 7, TURN 3. For Hit Points it has 3 lines of 1 circle each, and a Capacity of 1 point.
Heavy Bikes have MAX 26, ACC 7, DEC 6, TURN 3. For Hit Points it has 3 lines of 2 circles each, and a Capacity of 2 points.

When shooting at a bike treat it as being one speed catagory higher (e.g. a bike at speed 8" takes 1 Hit Point on a 5 or 6).

When a bike suffers a Loss of Control roll separate scatter results for the bike and then the biker. Also, roll a die for the biker. On 4+ the biker is killed. A biker knocked off his ride is treated as a pedestrian (see below).

In Rams, heavy bikes roll at -3 and light bikes at -4. Also, a bike in a ram always suffers a Loss of Control.

Bikes may use all the same weapons and equipment as cars. I suppose you could even put a ramplate on a bike if you really wanted to. It's just an extraordinarily bad idea.

A heavy bike sets off Mines on a roll of 5+. Light bikes trigger Mines on a 6.

Heavy bikes are damaged by Spikes on a roll of 4+, and light bikes on 5+.

Pedestrians

Pedestrians are terribly vulnerable to the firepower that vehicles toss about, but can be difficult targets.

A pedestrian may move 6" per turn, in any direction.

A pedestrian is hit on 5+ if it has not moved, or 6+ if it has. When hit for any damage, roll a die. On 4+ the pedestrian is killed. Otherwise, the pedestrian is still out of the fight but will recover for the next game.

Pedestrians always lose in Rams with vehicles.

Pedestrians are typically equipped with a Light Weapon. Some pedestrians may have special weapons. Some examples include a one-shot Medium Weapon (representing a bazooka, RPG, LAW, etc.), Molotov Cocktails (place a Napalm template within 6"), or even a Portable Flamethrower (so heavy it reduces pedestrian move to 3").

Pedestrians may wear body armour.

Pedestrian use of other equipment should fall into the realm of common sense (e.g. no Ram Plates or Nitrous Oxide, though now that I think of it a pedestrian on Nitrous may be goofy enough to try lugging a Ramplate around, but no, just... no).

Surviving pedestrians earn experience rerolls.
There's a time for joking around and a time to be serious; this is not one of them.

pekin2121
Advanced Member
pekin2121
Advanced Member

03 Feb 2015, 17:48 #6

Thanks for posting those rules!

I have a few motorcycles from Dark Future that I think work for scale.