Here's Danas summary of ep 67.

Here's Danas summary of ep 67.

marta i
marta i

April 25th, 2002, 8:51 pm #1

Things are starting to change…
by Dana

First of all, I have to say that on the last episodes we finally saw Estela as the secretary of Abazenade
(the president of the coffee association). It’s a very small part, and we have to see if it would evolve in the future.

Gaviota went to see Abazenade (spelling?). She told him that the Vallejo’s slandered her name, and she wants to confront with them in order to clear her name. She asked him to be present in this confrontation. She also asked him for a job. At first, he said that he can’t help her, but after she told him about her difficult economic situation, he told her to call him on next week, and he would see what he could do.
Abazenade was really troubled, not so much because of Carolina, but because of some mildew that damaged the coffee plantations in Colombia. He discussed this matter with some experts. Later, he went to visit Francisco in hospital, and he met Sebastian there. He told him about Carolina’s difficult situation, and about his family’s allegations about her. She asked him for a job, and he wanted to help her, but he needed Sebastian’s recommendation to hire her. Sebastian said that Carolina didn’t steal any money from “cafexport”, and although he could recommend her as an executive, he can’t recommend her as a person. So Abazenade said that he couldn’t hire her.
Sebastian told Marcela about his conversation with Abazenade. When Marcela heard about it, she told him that he must give her the recommendation, in order to fix the injustice that was made. She told him about the lies about Gaviota’s reputation, and how she was fired and got nothing. Sebastian wanted to know why she didn’t tell him about it earlier. She explained that when she wanted to tell him that, he just had decided to return to Lucia, and he was so happy about the baby, so the family convinced her not to tell him anything. She agreed to do it because Gaviota’s absence, but now that she’s back, she had to tell him the truth.
This was a very strong scene. Marcela spoke with a lot of passion and caring, and one more time we could see what a wonderful person she is. Sebastian refused to believe at first to the things that she said, but eventually he was convinced. He looked shocked and very angry. When he realized how his life was ruined by Ivan and the rest of the family. He just wanted to go and kill Ivan right away. Marcela stopped him, luckily, and told him that he has to stay cool, and not tell anyone anything about Gaviota, so his family won’t continue to ruin her life.

dorothy
dorothy

April 26th, 2002, 2:56 am #2

marcella is such a delightful character...she's very smart and wise, and confident, and loves sebastian...she's also distrustful of lucia, rightfully so!!!!...she's a great little sherlock holmes, too!!!...she knows when to "interfere" and when to keep quiet...she finally told seb the truth and defended gaviota, and has convinced seb to do the right thing and support her in her new job in the coffee industry...she wants justice to be done!!!...
well done marcella!!!!...
her character is extxremely important in this story!!!
dorothy

marta i
marta i

April 26th, 2002, 2:59 pm #3

but this is why I find it so interesting that Gaitan was not sure whether to make Marcela sister to Ivan and Benardo, or sister to Sebastian... He certainly made up his mind the right way by the time Sebastians parents died, but at the very beginning of the book, she was introduced as sister to Ivan and Bernardo, not as sister to Sebastian.... Would you imagine if she had been written as sister to Ivan??? She is so much more like Sebastian in her caring for others... that she sure would not have fit the pattern of Ivan and Bernardo (Bernardo cares, but he is a wimp when the going gets tough, isnt he? At least for now...)

dorothy
dorothy

April 28th, 2002, 1:21 am #4

she's soooo lovely, intelligent, kind, supportive, and caring, she just wouldn't do as a sister to that pondscum ivan, at all....
she also plays the perfect character role that sebastian drastically needed...who would be his main support system otherwise??...he has no parents, basically no wife, (well, one that counts, anyway..lol!!!), corrupt and dishonest cousins who are totally selfish and against him from the get-go, and only one true love interest....i don't think i'd like the book at all!!!...marcella's role is extremely important and more appropriate as his sister!!!..
dorothy

marta i
marta i

April 29th, 2002, 2:58 pm #5

that she is not... and totally agree with the need of her as a support character for Sebastian...

dorothy
dorothy

April 29th, 2002, 10:27 pm #6

where first she's the cousin, then turns into the sister???!!!!...
is it a writing/editing error??!!!...
i recall now that you wrote something about this before on the foro...you were reading the book enroute to your trip to texas, but i didn't really understand what you were commenting on, then...
i'm glad she's the "correct" character in the novela....right where she should be, by the hero, sebastian's, side!!!!...
dorothy

marta i
marta i

April 30th, 2002, 3:27 pm #7

I will quote specific pages and moments in the novela.

Page 47-48, (Dr. Latorre is reading Octavio's will...)
"El abogado Latorre da lectura al testamento de Octavio Vallejo. Y hay grandes sorpresas para la familia. Los Vallejo-Cortes - Francisco, Angela, Ivan, Marcela y Bernardo - se encargaran, en calidad de propietarios de los negocios internacionales, de las oficinas exportadoras en Colombia y en el exterior, con lo que Francisco asegura en un ciento por ciento todo el negocio internacional. Los Vallejo-Valencia - Rafael y Carlota y sus hijos Sebastian y Paula - se encargaran en calidad de propietarios, de la hacienda Casablanca, de las otras fincas de la region, de los bienes raices en Manizales, Pereira, Armenia y Bogota, de las casas de recreo de la familia, ubicadas casi todas en la costa Atlantica y algunas en Miami. Los herederos en este instante, queda completamente claro, son Francisco y Rafael - sus hijos- pero el testamento aclara que a la muerte de estos, los bienes pasaran a las manos de los hijos mayores, Ivan y Sebastian y que seguiran mas tarde en poder de los hijos de estos. Lo importante es, segun el documento, que ningun bien escape de las manos y el control de la familia, y que siempre sean administrados por alguien que lleve el apellido Vallejo.

Page 89... Ivan and Lucrecia are to be married in a few days, Rafael and Carlota, Sebs parents, have died in a plane crash so Seb has to return one month early from the two years that he was supposed to return by (it is two years in book vs one year in tv version)... Lucrecia has brought Lucia along to pair her up with Sebastian, since the ocassion is perfect for the 'acercamiento'...
"Asi que, al regreso de Sebastian, Lucrecia ya tiene preparada a Lucia. Y la ocasion del entierro de Rafael y Carlota es ideal para insertarla en la familia. La presenta a quienes seran sus parientes: la abuela Cecilia - que ante la desaparicion de Rafael y Carlota, sus unicos compañeros en el viejo Caldas, se ha trasladado a la casa de su hijo Francisco, en Bogota -; Angela, Francisco y Bernardo, quienes simpatizan rapidamente con ella. La presenta con Marcela, la hermana menor de Sebastian, a quien Lucia le parece una mujer que a duras penas existe. Y finalmente con Paula, la otra hermana de Sebastian, que ahora tiene otro novio ingles, pues Arthur jamas regreso a Londres, sino que se quedo en Colombia para siempre, extraviado en los bares de Pereira..."

marta i
marta i

April 30th, 2002, 3:28 pm #8

Marcela is already Sebastians sister...

tanner
tanner

May 1st, 2002, 1:07 pm #9

where first she's the cousin, then turns into the sister???!!!!...
is it a writing/editing error??!!!...
i recall now that you wrote something about this before on the foro...you were reading the book enroute to your trip to texas, but i didn't really understand what you were commenting on, then...
i'm glad she's the "correct" character in the novela....right where she should be, by the hero, sebastian's, side!!!!...
dorothy
The book Marta is referring to is the original story of "Café" by Fernando Gaitán, which he wrote before they started filming the telenovela. I have a paperback copy (which was HARD to find!-- but at last I got a copy via the internet from Barnes & Noble). The original copyright date (of the first edition) was 1995. The book is in Spanish, of course, but I think I got the gist of it. In the preface, Sr. Gaitán explains that he wrote this story first, then some changes occurred as they began to film the telenovela, which explains discrepancies such as changing Marcela from Ivan's sister to Sebastian's sister. Also, the book does not contain the epilogue in the gran final of the telenovela (one of my favorite parts). But the book is very enjoyable to read as long as you remember that it was developed long BEFORE the actual filming.
Hope this helps!

marta i
marta i

May 1st, 2002, 2:23 pm #10

the book as an outlike for himself to write the script from, and also for presenting to the producers for approval of the story, since there was no precedent in tv novelas that touched the world of coffee in Colombia.
The Marcela parenthood thing was something Gaitan changed his mind on early in the book story.
There are other major differences between the book and the tv story. Like there is no Santa Marta trip, nor any other trip outside Bogota or the hacienda.
There is no Lucias baby. Sebastian and Gaviota have on and off relationship periods, all within the limits of Bogota once she begins working at CE.
There is no Matilde except for a slight mention that Arthur stayed in Colombia for falling for the daughter of another hacienda owner.
Ivan and Lucrecia do have a baby within the novela.
etc etc. Also the ending of some characters is different.... thanks to the audiences back then.