Singsaas RTE - July 29th

Singsaas RTE - July 29th

Lurleen
Lurleen

June 20th, 2012, 7:05 pm #1

We got the following message from our friend Jay Nelson at Singsaas Lutheran Church. Considering the sad news we've all been dealing with this week, I think this is very timely. Whatever your religious/spiritual views are, a nice ride, good fellowship and great food will always lift your spirits.
____
Hey guys. I don't know to what degree Team Strange is interested, but I'll throw something out there. The Singsaas church council just scheduled a potluck dinner for July 29th with hope the Strangers are interested in attending. Being totally transparent, our congregation really really enjoyed your visit last year yet we thought there countless ways the day could have been better.

We're willing to work with you guys to make sure a second visit is ideal. If another Sunday would work better, we'll try to work it out. Your offertory would go to Eddie's Road, or wherever else you see fit. Any people coming up the days before can stay in our homes. And we're thinking yard games after service would be in order, but are open to suggestions. We can bring in heavy-duty hangers for your Aerostitch riding gear. If you want to sell rides in a side car with money to go to Eddie's Road or wherever, there's a ton of people lining up to purchase a ticket. And we welcome your thoughts and suggestions on anything else. Our congregation's only non-debatable item is having a potluck dinner. I've been authorized and requested to play hardball with you guys concerning a potluck dinner, so we have a potluck dinner or the deal is off.

Gotta go for now. Look forward to hearing from you, and if you see fit, making July 29th an unforgettable day!

_____

So, who's in? Respond to this thread so Jay can get a feel for how many Strangers will be showing up.

June 21st, 2012, 12:20 am #2

Riders 591 and 639 will plan to be there.

June 21st, 2012, 1:47 am #3

My wife, myself, and three children.

Keith#4
Keith#4

June 21st, 2012, 2:34 am #4

We got the following message from our friend Jay Nelson at Singsaas Lutheran Church. Considering the sad news we've all been dealing with this week, I think this is very timely. Whatever your religious/spiritual views are, a nice ride, good fellowship and great food will always lift your spirits.
____
Hey guys. I don't know to what degree Team Strange is interested, but I'll throw something out there. The Singsaas church council just scheduled a potluck dinner for July 29th with hope the Strangers are interested in attending. Being totally transparent, our congregation really really enjoyed your visit last year yet we thought there countless ways the day could have been better.

We're willing to work with you guys to make sure a second visit is ideal. If another Sunday would work better, we'll try to work it out. Your offertory would go to Eddie's Road, or wherever else you see fit. Any people coming up the days before can stay in our homes. And we're thinking yard games after service would be in order, but are open to suggestions. We can bring in heavy-duty hangers for your Aerostitch riding gear. If you want to sell rides in a side car with money to go to Eddie's Road or wherever, there's a ton of people lining up to purchase a ticket. And we welcome your thoughts and suggestions on anything else. Our congregation's only non-debatable item is having a potluck dinner. I've been authorized and requested to play hardball with you guys concerning a potluck dinner, so we have a potluck dinner or the deal is off.

Gotta go for now. Look forward to hearing from you, and if you see fit, making July 29th an unforgettable day!

_____

So, who's in? Respond to this thread so Jay can get a feel for how many Strangers will be showing up.
July is good . Donna and I will be there.

David E.B. Smith
David E.B. Smith

June 21st, 2012, 2:44 am #5

____

_____

What time?

Mark Keller
Mark Keller

June 21st, 2012, 3:46 am #6

____

_____

Count me in.

Bart
Bart

June 21st, 2012, 4:01 am #7

I'll be there. Will try to bring the old R100 rig with the Ural tub to facilitate special guest-sidecar rides. The new K1100RS rig isn't terribly passenger friendly.

Jay Nelson
Jay Nelson

July 17th, 2012, 5:01 pm #8

____

_____

On behalf of Singsaas Church, we pass our condolences onto the friends and family of Curt Gran. Regretfully, we have also had a few obstacles these past few weeks. We'll mention the setbacks in the 'Singsaas Potluck RTE' below. Yet perhaps like yourself, we find this to be a time of healing and a time for giving thanks. So here's an update on the Singsaas Potluck RTE, and I hope all of you read bullet point #4. We're excited about this one...

1) Potluck Dinner - We continue to make plans for a potluck dinner after our 10:30 morning service. This potluck dinner would start about 11:30 or so. We'd love to host as many of you as possible, and you need not bring anything more than yourselves. We never run short of food. But then again, it's always a thrill to eat food carried 300 miles in a saddle bag.

2) Games, Activities and Visiting - We're going to have lawn games, activities and similar for kids-of-all-ages after the potluck service. We have many older church ladies that eagerly await beating you in the game of your choice. Bring it!

3) Pancake feed - Last year, about 20 of you gathered at Irene's Cafe in Hendricks, MN before the service. In the chance you'd enjoy doing this again, owner Julie Buchholz has agreed to make free waffles for your group. As you might expect, this was our show of respect for your loss of Curt Gran. Someone has agreed to pick up the tab for the waffles. But to maintain our status as 'a bunch of cheap Norwegians', anything non-waffle is your own expense. And by the way, the Irene's Cafe waffles are unforgettable.

4) Adoption Fund - Our Sunday School kids, along with other community kids, have created a huge pumpkin patch on our church grounds. The kids will be selling pumpkins this fall and proceeds will be going to help defray the adoption costs for any family looking to adopt a child. The Adoption Fund will be formally kicked off during our July 29th service. (Note: A man named August Hamer was passionate about the 'Pumpkin Patch/Adoption Fund' idea. He tilled a half acre of hard sod, and the patch WOULD NOT have been possible without him. August and his wife had adopted three children, one of which is our Harley-driving mayor Rick Hamer. Regretfully, August died of a heart a few weeks after Curt's passing.)

5) Upright bass and a guitar - At this time, we think the July 29th service will be accompanied by an upright bass and a guitar. The songs would be a lineup of southern country gospel favorites. We occasionally hold such a service, and they are always well received. (Note: Regretfully, our church organist for this day is in the hospital with internal bleeding.)

6) Sing-a-long - At this time, we think there will be a sing-a-long with the upright bass/guitar the half hour before the service (10:00 - 10:30). Feel free to sing with, or sit and listen to the others singing. It's a win win.

7) Our Pastor's medical issue - This will be our Pastor Ron Smith's last sermon before a long medical sabbatical. Ron was just diagnosed with a schwannoma tumor on/near his brain stem. He has surgery at the Mayo Clinic on August 15th.

8) Camping/tenting/housing - Let me know if any of you would want to come up the days before or after. I'll gladly find whatever accommodations best fit ya'll.

9) Elwood Bakke's motorcycle club - Last year, a few of were excited to speak with Elwood Bakke and hear about his membership in a motorcycle club back during the 1930s. But time got short. Elwood will be glad to talk about the motorcycle club, as long as you answer the questions he has about you guys.

10) Air Conditioning - Given the heat wave, I'll mention the church has air conditioning. We can get it cold enough to hang meat, should ya'll desire

With all this being said, we'd love to host as many of you as possible. But on the other hand, we don't want anyone to feel pressured into attending. Hopefully those attending last year can be contacted as references. And please, please contact me with anything else needed for this day. I'll be glad to accommodate!

Regards -
Jay Nelson

July 18th, 2012, 1:40 am #9

Should be a good break-in ride for my bike. It is on my calendar.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 21st, 2012, 2:27 pm #10

____

_____

Donna and Keith are going to be there.

Confirmation of reply: