Rules Question - Time Zones

Rules Question - Time Zones

June 27th, 2012, 4:48 pm #1

I understand that the time zone on cameras to be used during rallies is set to the time of the starting location. My question is what time is to be written down on the bonus sheet along with the ODO reading?

I have read the rules and do not see anything stated as far as if we have to list the local time, or if we can use the same time zone we have the camera set to. (obviously running the entire rally with the mind set of being in one time zone has it's own risks for time restricted bonus locations.)

So what do the RM's say, do we have to list the local time, or can we always use the same time zone that the camera has been set to. This was a concern for me during the MN1K rally when some of the bonus locations were questionable as to what time zone they were in.

Candohom
Candohom

June 28th, 2012, 1:07 am #2

and yes.

June 28th, 2012, 1:52 am #3

I completely agree.

Alex 406/61/28
Alex 406/61/28

June 28th, 2012, 2:45 am #4

In the past, I think, the camera was left at the time of the start and the times listed on the bonus was local time, as was the finish. But wait a minute, that is subject to change, or maybe not...

David E.B. Smith
David E.B. Smith

June 28th, 2012, 7:20 am #5

I understand that the time zone on cameras to be used during rallies is set to the time of the starting location. My question is what time is to be written down on the bonus sheet along with the ODO reading?

I have read the rules and do not see anything stated as far as if we have to list the local time, or if we can use the same time zone we have the camera set to. (obviously running the entire rally with the mind set of being in one time zone has it's own risks for time restricted bonus locations.)

So what do the RM's say, do we have to list the local time, or can we always use the same time zone that the camera has been set to. This was a concern for me during the MN1K rally when some of the bonus locations were questionable as to what time zone they were in.
We will presume that the time you write on the bonus sheet is local time at the bonus, unless you indicate otherwise.

To indicate otherwise, do so by writing the time zone along with the time. For example, "12:34 pm EDT"

If you want to leave your watch on one time zone and record all times from that, that's OK, but you would need to record the time zone along with the time, as above.

Even if you switch your watch with the time zones and so are writing down local time, it's not a bad idea to record the time zone also, so there's no ambiguity.

Hour restrictions on bonuses are given in local time (unless indicated otherwise), so it does make it easier if the times on the bonus sheets are based on the local time zone of the bonus. Then the scorers don't have to do math.

June 28th, 2012, 12:13 pm #6

Thanks for the clarification. No disrespect to the people who will be scoring us, but I would rather make them do that math, than try to figure it out at the end of a 22 hour day. Of course the trick is to make sure you are taking the time zone into account for the time restricted bonus locations.

David E.B. Smith
David E.B. Smith

June 28th, 2012, 2:51 pm #7

Of course the trick is to make sure you are taking the time zone into account for the time restricted bonus locations.

Yes, that is the trick. That's why I wanted to have a bonus in Newfoundland.

Tim
Tim

June 28th, 2012, 3:07 pm #8

And it is because of such devious RM as you that I printed out a Time Zone chart / Map and will be keeping it in my tankbag.

snod
snod

June 28th, 2012, 3:38 pm #9

In previous Butt Lite's, I just left my GPS clock, and bike clock set to Mountain Daylight Time. Then every time I logged the time on the Bonus Sheets, or fuel log, I noted the time as XXXX MDT. As long as I always used the bike clock, and noted MDT, there was no chance for me to get confused. You do have to pay attention to time specific bonus, and convert to whatever time is local, but I found it easier to log everything in as one time zone. None of the scorers ever complained?

Rev. K
Rev. K

June 29th, 2012, 4:43 am #10

I have always noted time zone changes on my route sheets. Having spent time as a scorer, I appreciate it when others do as well. Just my 2 cents. If the bonus requires you to get a receipt and said receipt matches the time/date on the route sheet, we'll call that good. No extra notations required.
-K

Confirmation of reply: