We’d like you to know that after a few weeks of dedicated work, Tapatalk is now GDPR ready! The GDPR affects European and non-European businesses using online advertising and measurement solutions when their sites and apps are accessed by users in the European Economic Area (EEA). While the GDPR only applies to EEA countries, we are rolling out the same privacy guidelines to all Tapatalk users globally.
We have also updated the Site Owner's License Agreement to meet the new GDPR requirements.
We believe that privacy is fundamental in building a community, and have been taking steps to minimize the collection of use of data whenever possible.
The Tapatalk Plugin does not access any personal information, such as name, email, or cookie information, of forum members. And the Plugin never collects any sensitive information, such as Tax ID numbers, banking or credit card information, or health information.
In some cases, IPs have been sent through the Tapatalk Plugin, and the IPs were used for spam and inappropriate content detection. We are not storing any IP address information. We are now using alternative tools to detect spam and inappropriate posts, and no longer have any need for IPs.
As well as IP address, the Tapatalk Plugin update will also not passing any email address between the Tapatalk server and the plugin when the user login or sign up to your forum. We will have Plugin updates for the eight supported forum systems. With the update, we will no longer collect IPs and transmit email address.
The updated Tapatalk Plugins with GDPR compliance can now be downloaded here. Please update your Tapatalk Plugin before May 25th.
When your members access your forum on the Tapatalk app, pending Apple App Store Approval, the upcoming iOS and Android app will collect authorization by the user for information that is gathered by the app, and control with whom the information is shared.
Information that is gathered by the app
- The app collects information that is aggregated for analytics purposes (e.g., Google Analytics, or Matomo (aka Piwik)). The aggregated information provides analytics of the Tapatalk app usage for your forum in the Tapatalk Console.
- The Advertising Identifier for the mobile device is used for targeted advertising. The user will have the ability to turn the permissions on or off by ad provider. If the permissions are turned off, the user will still see the same number as ads, but they will be less relevant.
- If a user elected to register for a Tapatalk ID, we will collect the email address of the user. Please be noted that the said user is the app user who may or may not be your forum member.
- If a user wants to use the Tapatalk ID to become a member of a forum, we will ask permission to share that information with the forum they want to join. If permission is not given, we will not be able to register the member.
- A user will soon to be able to request to delete their Tapatalk account (Currently they can deactivate it but not fully delete it), and all information about that user will be purged within 30 days. However, we will not delete the posts or images by that user. They will need to contact the forum owner to have that information removed.