Quick page loads, slow posting when tapatalk is enabled...

Quick page loads, slow posting when tapatalk is enabled...

Ryanc

22 Oct 2017, 01:57 #1

So this just started happening... I've had no Tapatalk issues in the last year.

Essentially, with tapatalk enabled I get quick page loads... but if a user tries to post a thread or reply to a thread it takes minutes to post. This leads to a lot of angry users and a lot of double posts.

If I disable the tapatalk plugin, the problem goes away entirely.

Further, even with the tapatalk plugin enabled the tapatalk dashboard reads - plugin status: failed.

I'm using VB 3.8 series and the latest version of the tapatalk plugin.

Any idea as to what is going on?

winter

22 Oct 2017, 02:05 #2

Does it jist started to happen today with no change in your server configuration?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

logan2z

29 Oct 2017, 19:06 #3

Ryanc wrote: So this just started happening... I've had no Tapatalk issues in the last year.

Essentially, with tapatalk enabled I get quick page loads... but if a user tries to post a thread or reply to a thread it takes minutes to post. This leads to a lot of angry users and a lot of double posts.

If I disable the tapatalk plugin, the problem goes away entirely.

Further, even with the tapatalk plugin enabled the tapatalk dashboard reads - plugin status: failed.

I'm using VB 3.8 series and the latest version of the tapatalk plugin.

Any idea as to what is going on?
We've been experiencing the same issue on our forum since we moved to phpBB 3.2 and compatible Tapatalk plugin many months ago.  I've raised the issue on this forum and through a Tapatalk support ticket and never received a resolution for it.

Read and post edit performance are fine, new posts are extremely slow from both the app and a web browser.  In fact the posts are made almost immediately - confirmed by going to another browser window and looking at the forum while the post is still in-flight in the original window - but the client does not get a response for a long time which makes the post appear to hang.  Disabling the Tapatalk plugin makes the problem go away for us as well.  Unfortunately, most of our users prefer accessing the forum from a mobile device rather than a web browser.

I have a theory that this has something to do with Tapatalk's push message support.  If I understand it correctly, push messages are not sent on post edits but are when new posts are created.  Editing a post is fast, new posts are slow.  Looking at our plugin's status page, I see this message highlighted in yellow:

"Warning! There are some warnings about your plugin installation, but it will work."

The section entitled "Connectivity to Tapatalk servers" is also highlighted in yellow, but all of the status information in that section shows 'OK':

Connectivity to Tapatalk servers

cUrl available: OK!, version 7.55.1 detected 
fopen available: 
sockets available: OK! 
Connectivity to directory.tapatalk.com: OK! 
Connectivity to push.tapatalk.com: OK! 
Connectivity to tapatalk.com: OK! 
Connectivity to verify.tapatalk.com: OK! 
Connectivity to search.tapatalk.com: OK! 

Given that information it's very difficult to understand why the warning was generated.  There is no obvious problem shown here.  Could whatever is causing this warning be related to our poor performance?  Curious that it is something in the connectivity section of the status report that seems to be an issue.  Also worth noting that our users don't seem to be getting any push messages when new posts are made, PMs are sent, etc.

It's a very frustrating problem for our board admins and our users.  However, it seems very difficult to get Tapatalk support to take this seriously and help us debug this issue.  At least it's nice to know that we are not the only ones suffering with this.

Edit: Is there any way to disable the plugin's push capabilities in order to see if this is the source of the issue?

MoleDJ

29 Oct 2017, 20:30 #4

@logan2z, is there any way you can provide me ftp access to your site so i can debug the push notification side in site? by PM of course :)