Impending ZetaBoards Conversion

May 15th, 2018, 6:55 pm #21

Let us download the database
Jcink's John has stated if ZB offered the database of forums, he could write a converter to transition it back to IPB. Also Tapatalk runs off of Phpbb software, all I would have to do at that point is download the Phpbb package, find a hosting provider and upload the database. I am sure there is a bit more to it than that, but there are plenty of options to handle the database from there.

I understand you are trying to make everything go as smoothly as possible, but given the situation there are many out there who unhappy about the way this was announced, the way its been handled, and the service they are switching to. You might say its not possible to obtain a database, I believe otherwise and I believe it would be in the interest of Tapatalk to consider that. When ZB ran Invision Free, they offered the database for Invision Free for a bit of a price. If you were to tell me I'd have to pay $75 for the database, you got $75 coming your way. Right now I'm in the middle of the road. A part of me wants to stay and ride this out, and a part of me doesn't. In the end, I would like to have a backup plan in case I change my mind.

And the only backup plan right now is to ditch eleven years of work and start over fresh on another service, and honestly, I don't want that and I think I speak for many board owners out there, they don't want that either. I haven't seen a number, but if I were to take a guess, the demand for a database download is relatively high.

May 15th, 2018, 7:34 pm #22

Hi, I am wondering a few things now that I got the message my forum would be transfering here. Where do I edit the CSS for the website? I cant find that. I also am wondering if it is possible to change the default AVI size from the tiny one it is right now, seeing that our forum is tiny and we like our larger avis. I am also wondering if we are able to transfer the look and feel of our forum to Tapatalk and how we do that.

Im generally wondering how the appearance of our forums will be transferred, if at all? I can't get behind the shift if its not gonna transfer the look & feel of our forum

May 16th, 2018, 6:13 pm #23

impending-zetaboards-conversion-t39965.html#p207275

Regarding this post, it was edited by me. I felt it was slightly childish on my part and decided to edit it out and give this service a benefit of a doubt. Wasn't aware some people took it as Tapatalk editing it out, but just wanted to clear that up. Sorry for any confusion.

May 16th, 2018, 8:00 pm #24

I guess now we’re being ignored by TT too

Question if they plan to acknowledge this thread and it’s concerns again: if you refuse to provide the database would you give your blessing to allow us to use a crawler on our forums to grab post data?

May 17th, 2018, 5:06 pm #25

HELLO? Anyone out there in Tapatalk Admin land?!

May 17th, 2018, 6:08 pm #26

How often does TapaTalk backup the data of the forums they host? With ZetaBoards we knew there were at least daily back ups, and potentially several copies of the backups, with some possibly having a more live record of the data. I'm curious to know what would happen in the event of a server failure or something, how do you ensure there is no loss of content? ZB was pretty good about preventing data loss these days, after several hard-learned lessons in years past.

How is the uptime of the service? There were some connectivity issues yesterday, I'd like to know more about your reliability.
A ZetaBoards refugee.

May 18th, 2018, 4:29 am #27

Related to connectivity, will there be announcements post-outages to let us know one had occurred and what led to it?
Or a way for us to check on the server status should we speculate something be wrong?

ZetaBoards/InvisionFree would let us know whenever outages have occurred, what servers were affected, and the reason why.
There was also a site (though it might've been third party) we had to track the server status.
http://tachyondecay.net/php/bin/serverstatus.php

I also say this as I haven't seen any mention from staff on here related to the shenanigans Wednesday unless I overlooked something.

May 18th, 2018, 4:32 am #28

Remember they have 100% uptime Gaomon, what is this outage you're referring to?? 😏

May 18th, 2018, 2:25 pm #29

I'm gonna keep asking questions and hope they get answered in one big catch-up post.

How does TT handle redirection of topics links that are in the old service's format/URL? Will you maintain the existence of the ZB domain for indefinite redirection of ZB topic links to their TT equivalent? I want to know that if I click on zetaboards.com/myBoardname/topic/topicID that the link will still take me to tapatalk.com/groups/myBoardname/topicName-topicID-pageID.html or whatever the equivalent is. Otherwise it will be a pain to deal with 15 years worth of broken links. ZetaBoards offered indefinite redirection of InvisionFree links when they converted a board from their original product to their new product, you knew that if you clicked an InvisionFree link it would take you to the correct ZetaBoards equivalent page.
A ZetaBoards refugee.

May 18th, 2018, 3:05 pm #30

Lothlomendil wrote:I'm gonna keep asking questions and hope they get answered in one big catch-up post.

How does TT handle redirection of topics links that are in the old service's format/URL? Will you maintain the existence of the ZB domain for indefinite redirection of ZB topic links to their TT equivalent? I want to know that if I click on zetaboards.com/myBoardname/topic/topicID that the link will still take me to tapatalk.com/groups/myBoardname/topicName-topicID-pageID.html or whatever the equivalent is. Otherwise it will be a pain to deal with 15 years worth of broken links. ZetaBoards offered indefinite redirection of InvisionFree links when they converted a board from their original product to their new product, you knew that if you clicked an InvisionFree link it would take you to the correct ZetaBoards equivalent page.
This is important, imo. I hope they do have it set up for redirection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk