(Resolved with CSS Codes) Display of Subforums Change and Read/Unread Icons virtually useless.

(Resolved with CSS Codes) Display of Subforums Change and Read/Unread Icons virtually useless.

Andy03

27 Nov 2017, 16:22 #1

Okay, so...everything was fine yesterday. Now all of a sudden this morning, all of my subforums are displaying on the main page as a button. The new post indicator next to them is gone, they take up TONS of space. It does not look good. At all.

subforums1.JPG subforums2.JPG

What was wrong with the previous listing method of subforums within a forum on the main page?

And now, the main 'bullet' icon doesn't even work, new posts now have this 'bar', and you can no longer tell if the post is in one of the subforums or not.

This is very problematic. I realize that the idea is to 'simplify'...but what good is a notification bar if I can't tell which of my subforums a post might be in?
Last edited by Andy03 on 12 Dec 2017, 21:51, edited 2 times in total.
Andy03 or Ashley | FreeForums user since 2010 | Previous FF Support Forum Post Total: 210
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/galaxydesigns/index.php ~ For Pre-Made Designs & Tutorials ~ Now Open

winter

27 Nov 2017, 19:20 #2

The Unread indicator for subforum is recently changed to the vertical bar just just Unread message. Do you mean it is no longer shown in your forum? For the spacing issue - did you alter the CSS to perhaps make it inconsistent with your setup?

And lastly which Forum URL we can take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pepe.

27 Nov 2017, 19:46 #3

on here as well as on the forums altered with css the icon for no new posts is showing on every post, even the ones with the unread bar.

i cannot for the life of me understand what the point is in changing that when it was working fine the way it was.

your changes have broken something that simply did not need fixing
If you need help with skins click the critters

Andy03

27 Nov 2017, 19:53 #4

I mean when someone posts, there is no way to tell which subforum they are posting in. Your new little 'subforum boxes' have no icons to demonstrate what subforum actually has the unread post. It all just gets mashed into this one 'unread indicator bar', as if that's going to tell me which of my subforums within that forum has the new post.

And to top that off, the 'unread indicator' is the bar, which I can see and DO NOT LIKE. The icon buttons are still there, and yet do NOT highlight when there's a new post.

To be frank, ditch the bar and go back to using the icon's as you were before. And while you're at it, how the subforums were organized before worked perfectly fine.

issues1.JPG

And my CSS isn't the problem. These were changes implemented by your programmers. Your codes for the subforum listings were the source of the HUGE subforums list area. I actually had to find the codes in order to change the margins so they aren't so huge. This screen shot is the after of how I've had to fix these issues. And despite those efforts, I still ultimately don't like how the listing method has changed. There's now no way to tell (as I've documented in my screen shot above) if a certain subforum has unread posts. There used to be. The icon that has the 'bullet list' that was used to indicate a new post before...now just sits there.

These changes, from the old method, were unnecessary.
Last edited by Andy03 on 27 Nov 2017, 20:22, edited 3 times in total.
Andy03 or Ashley | FreeForums user since 2010 | Previous FF Support Forum Post Total: 210
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/galaxydesigns/index.php ~ For Pre-Made Designs & Tutorials ~ Now Open

Andy03

27 Nov 2017, 19:54 #5

And I agree with Pepe, it was not necessary to make any changes to how the 'unread' icons worked, nor was it necessary to alter how the subforums are listed.

It all worked just perfectly fine the way it was. I've never seen one person comment about how it worked before, leading me to believe it functioned just fine the way it was. So for the life of me, also, I can not figure out why effort was put into making these changes when they weren't necessary.

Rod Corkin

27 Nov 2017, 20:35 #6

Since moving to Tapatalk the icon on my index page for a forum with a subforum has never lit up when there we a new post therein. I posted here about that ages ago but it was not responded to.

Andy03

27 Nov 2017, 20:50 #7

Rod Corkin wrote: Since moving to Tapatalk the icon on my index page for a forum with a subforum has never lit up when there we a new post therein. I posted here about that ages ago but it was not responded to.
That was easily solved with a simple CSS code. Which I had been using successfully this entire time until these recent (unnecessary) changes made it useless.

Rod Corkin

27 Nov 2017, 20:53 #8

Andy03 wrote: That was easily solved with a simple CSS code. Which I had been using successfully this entire time until these recent (unnecessary) changes made it useless.
Issues like this should not need CSS code, they should work out-the-box.

Andy03

27 Nov 2017, 21:00 #9

It used to work properly when I first was migrated, then one day in early September...it didn't any more and despite people bringing it up, no one fixed it. So I just looked for a code to force it.

Pepe.

27 Nov 2017, 21:14 #10

oh goody - subforums now have an ugly white background as well
If you need help with skins click the critters