(Resolved with CSS Codes) Display of Subforums Change and Read/Unread Icons virtually useless.

UKNerfWar

27 Nov 2017, 22:08 #11

Same issues here. It looks terrible.

capeannweb

27 Nov 2017, 22:27 #12

Confusing for viewers, imo.  The main forum title does not look like a link and there is no indication that the links with the white background are subforms of a main forum.  Just doesn't make sense.

This change seems to have happened around the same time that cover photos disappeared?

Andy03

27 Nov 2017, 22:37 #13

I've had to edit the CSS codes for these items. I can change color, I can change some spacing, I can add a little border. But what I can't change is the fact that the subforum has no way to indicate to members that the 'unread' post is in that subforum and not in the main forum.

This is what it looks like before I start playing with codes (aka this is what I logged onto this morning):
issues_without css codes.JPG Problems:
- Unread "bar"...blends, that I know is because of my CSS code to change the border around my forums....but you know what? I didn't have this problem when the 'unread icon' was in use (aka the bullet list icon that's a medium purple) as the read/unread icon.
- No little unread icon next to "MissLinda's Designs"....though I know for certain all the unread posts are in that subforum. How it currently presents makes it look like all the posts are under "Sharing Center"...but I know they aren't.
- The 'box' around the subforum title...that's a lot of white space....and throws the look of the forums off completely.

This is what it looks like after I get my hands on some CSS codes to fix the color of the unread mark, as well as size down the huge white box around my subforum name:

issues_with css codes.JPG I had to change the unread mark to green (due to my CSS changes to the category border color), then I had to size the white box down, I changed it's background color, and added a border. I suppose it looks semi-okay after the edits...but there's still two issues:

~ I know for a fact that all the posts making that unread mark bar green are in the subforum (MissLinda's Designs) and not the Sharing Center forum....no icon to tell for sure. Imagine if I had more subforums? No way to tell which subforum I should to go to so that I can get to the unread post without first clicking 'Sharing Center' to then have to verify which subforum it was.
~ The vertical icon...the 'bullet list'....just sitting there...medium purple...with nothing to do....when it should be displaying my 'unread post' color.
Andy03 or Ashley | FreeForums user since 2010 | Previous FF Support Forum Post Total: 210
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/galaxydesigns/index.php ~ For Pre-Made Designs & Tutorials ~ Now Open

PAUL23

27 Nov 2017, 22:47 #14

Andy03 wrote: And I agree with Pepe, it was not necessary to make any changes to how the 'unread' icons worked, nor was it necessary to alter how the subforums are listed.

It all worked just perfectly fine the way it was. I've never seen one person comment about how it worked before, leading me to believe it functioned just fine the way it was. So for the life of me, also, I can not figure out why effort was put into making these changes when they weren't necessary.
👏👏👍

Pepe.

28 Nov 2017, 04:20 #15

could a mod please tell us if the issue of the no unread posts icon showing on the forums with unread posts is going to be resolved soon?
If you need help with skins click the critters

winter

28 Nov 2017, 04:22 #16

Unread icon is the vertical bar like the topic listing. Do you mean the bar doesn’t appear in the subforums when there is Unread topic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pepe.

28 Nov 2017, 04:35 #17

this image shows what i mean - both the unread post and no unread posts marks are showing - it should be one or the other icons.png

winter

28 Nov 2017, 04:38 #18

That icon is just an icon to indicate this is a subforum it doesn’t mean it is Unread.

Pepe.

28 Nov 2017, 04:40 #19

but there are no subforums in this section

winter

28 Nov 2017, 04:41 #20

This section is a subforum. What do you mean?