Fake Vpets

atashi
Tama Zone Superstars
atashi
Tama Zone Superstars

5:38 PM - Nov 12, 2008 #1

First off, I'm going to suggest that this perhaps become a pinned topic. I think it would be useful for anyone who is considering buying the toys I will be talking about in this thread, but who are unsure if they are really tamagotchi-like in nature. Hopefully this will keep other people from making the same mistake and being let down when they find it doesn't work anything the way a vpet should. I've already had this happen a couple of times so I will go ahead and list.

A true 'Vpet' is one that has some sort of status screen for the pet you're raising and the bars deplete throughout the day while the pet continuously runs in real time. It runs similarly to a Tamagotchi pet, yet it may or may not evolve quite like a Tamagotchi, but there is some sort of growth (IE. The pet grows bigger or some feature on the pet developes.).

The List of 'fake' VPets is as follows:

*Penguin Pals "Electronic Pet Penguin", By MGA Games - It looks like a light blue snow dome with an LCD screen behind the waterfilled dome. On the packaging it says feed and play with the virtual pet and choose between 3 different penguins. There is no status screen for any of the penguins. Everytime you switch the unit off it resets itself and you have to pick a new penguin. Each penguin has 2 different outfits, but they all play the same 3 games. Playing the games doesn't change the penguins disposition nor does feeding.

*Purse Pals, by Wild Planet - At first glance you may think that this is a true vpet. It has a very small and narrow LCD screen that will display a set of hearts. Have played with this for some time and noticed that there isn't any clock that needs to be set, nor does it seem to have any rhyme or reason to the hearts depleating. Also, there isn't any change to the character itself.

*Littlest Pet Shop Pals, by Hasbro - I believe the one my stepdaughter has is the first wave pet. You can groom it, play games with it, but once again there isn't a time based system to it. The pet doesn't change, nor is there any sort of status screen to the pet. I'm disappointed as the toy it self looked like a promising addition.

*My Meebas, by Mattel - Ok this one is a toughie, but I decided to throw it under a 'fake' vpet as it just doesn't fit the category. The hearts never deplete, and feeding it just doesn't do anything other than makes a cute little animation. The meeba *does* evolve, but only to the pet that is in the tube and only by playing games. You don't need to watch this pet in real time, and once you get the stuffy out there really isn't much to the toy anymore. While I wouldn't discourage someone from buying it as it does have its charm, I would say if you're looking for something more tamagotchi/vpet in nature you will be disappointed as this is kind of a spin off.

*Anipalz-Dog - Basically, all you do with it is train it to do certain tricks. These obviously vary depending on the Anipalz version you have (I know that the Dog's tricks vary from the Frog's), and some of the food changes, but I think that's all that's different.

There are no status meters, and if you leave the pet alone for a few minutes, it will go into 'sleep mode,' where it shows the clock screen. In sleep mode, the pet is still active, but it stops its constant whining/meowing/croaking/etc. and all you can see is the clock. - Submitted by Chaowzee

*[URL=http://img.skitch.com/20081115-n42htpcu ... 2x1bwu.png[/URL] - They come in three different varieties: Miuchiz Pawz, Miuchiz Bratz and Miuchiz Monsterz.
They are handhelds where you raise either a dog, cat, baby or monster. They do not have any growth process at all and are not even pets.

The aim is just to buy things with 'Creditz' to keep your character happy. It has only three status icons: happy, hungry and fun. They get boring very quickly and have no generations, marriage, the games are boring and give you very little money, and there is nothing to do on it. I do not recommend anyone buying these. - Submitted by Jameswa

[ Log | Website | Artwork ]

Thank you mayachan for the chibitama!!

Real_Three
Tama Zone Luminaries
Real_Three
Tama Zone Luminaries

5:54 PM - Nov 12, 2008 #2

*Topic Pinned*

I think this is a good idea to make everyone aware of what to avoid in terms of value and so on.

It would be great if anyone adding a pet to this list could provide a photo or link to a photo as well as a description.

atashi
Tama Zone Superstars
atashi
Tama Zone Superstars

7:04 PM - Nov 12, 2008 #3

Awesome! Thanks RT! I went ahead and updated my list with pictures. I pulled them from pictures on Ebay as I do not have a very good camera to take pictures of my examples, and also I threw away all the packaging!! All pictures are hosted on my photobucket account. :)

It's worth noting that all offenders have been donated to my step-daughter who doesn't have the attention span to watch an actual vpet. Also, I don't really take chances unless I find them in bargain bins. But I could totally understand and see someone paying full price and being sadly disappointed. I need to sit down and think as I know I had another one to add to my list. I guess if anyone adds any to the list in the format that I have started I can go ahead and update my original post and cut and paste the submission. That will make it possible for relevant discussion to take place in this thread.

I don't know about any of you guys but I don't want to see another Virtual Pet fan to be sadly duped out of their money on these wrongly imposing imposters.

sukatchi
Tama Zone Greats
sukatchi
Tama Zone Greats

12:00 AM - Nov 13, 2008 #4

What a good idea, thanks for the info on the penguin pals, I was actually going to buy one. Now that I know that its not really a Vpet I won't buy it. What about the "Care for me" littlest pet shop so called Vpet, I don't own one but the info on the packaging sounds similar to the one you mentioned in your first post. I highly doubt that it is a Vpet even though it has care for me in its name :P I might buy one just to see...

Violetchi_Kuchipatchi
Tama Zone High ranks
Violetchi_Kuchipatchi
Tama Zone High ranks

12:08 AM - Nov 13, 2008 #5

This is a really good idea, atashi. I wish I had seen it sooner because I have a Littlest pet shop, and it is not to much fun. :angry:

V_K

Please join! We need a money system.

Chaowzee
Tama Zone Superstars
Chaowzee
Tama Zone Superstars

7:42 PM - Nov 13, 2008 #6

I think Anipalz should be added to this list. ^o^

Anipalz-Dog

The link above shows a picture of the Dog Anipalz, which I have. There are other versions, such as Cat, Frog (which I also have), Rabbit and even Penguin.

Basically, all you do with it is train it to do certain tricks. These obviously vary depending on the Anipalz version you have (I know that the Dog's tricks vary from the Frog's), and some of the food changes, but I think that's all that's different.

There are no status meters, and if you leave the pet alone for a few minutes, it will go into 'sleep mode,' where it shows the clock screen. In sleep mode, the pet is still active, but it stops its constant whining/meowing/croaking/etc. and all you can see is the clock.

To be honest, the only goal for this 'pet' is to teach it all of the tricks available using the touch screen. Once you've done that, that's basically it. -_- Once the pet has learnt a trick via the training menu, you can perform it at any time. However, leave the pet a few days and it will forget how to do the trick. Therefore you must keep training it.

You also need to train it to be toilet-trained, eat its food sensibly, sleep inside its house rather than on top of it, and even fetch mail for you. If you don't train it in these kinds of skills daily, then the pet will forget them and might start being naughty (although you can't punish it or anything).

You are able to feed it, wash it and play games with it, as well as wander around the pet's garden, but, to be honest, these are rather minor features in this pet. If you left the pet alone for a long time without food, it wouldn't really care. :P As I said, there are no status meters, so you can't tell when the pet needs something, and therefore have to judge the best time to feed it. Which could be never, but hey.

There's also nifty features which enable you to take pictures and videos of your pets, but what's the point? -_- There's nothing really memorable about what they do, anyway. XD

Overall, it's pretty fun at first, but since the pet doesn't grow up or anything, it gets boring after around a week. No wonder these were on major sale at Tesco's not too long ago. :P The touch-screen is horribly responsive (sometimes it just doesn't work at all-So much for 'revolutionary' as it says on the packet) and often the pet will keep resetting itself randomly. It's more like a leisure pet. The pet never appears to get unhappy with you, even if you leave it for a long time. Sure, it might whimper, but that's basically it.

It's good for those who want a simple pet which doesn't demand much, but for those into more active pets, this is not for you. I recommend buying these ONLY when they're on sale-And only when they're REALLY cheap (I got my Frog one for £2.50).

Sorry, a bit long. I had a lot to say about this pet-Total let-down. -_- If it wasn't the glitchy touch-screen or the constant resetting that annoyed me, it was the constant whining (from the Dog) or croaking (from the Frog). XD
Switch FC: SW - 4317 - 4871 - 9600
Pocket Camp ID: 2708 5518 637

[ Twitter ]

Pozhar
Tama Zone Superstars
Pozhar
Tama Zone Superstars

8:36 PM - Nov 13, 2008 #7

Oh, I have an Anipalz Cat I got off eBay for a good price--I totally agree with your assessment. I spent about ten minutes cussing at the touch screen and its inability to function properly and then tossed the pet in a drawer and haven't looked at it since. >_> Big waste of money, even though I didn't pay much. (Also, the lack of a sound off feature infuriates me, but that's another story...)

Great idea for a list, atashi! I've seen the Penguin Pals and Purse Pals heavily marked down at a couple of stores around here, and I had been thinking about picking one up. I'm now glad I haven't done so. :)

atashi
Tama Zone Superstars
atashi
Tama Zone Superstars

11:33 PM - Nov 13, 2008 #8

Thank you Chaowzee for your submission! I went ahead and modified my original post to include your write-up. :) Thinking about it now I did have an anipalz cat in England and I remember it looking really cute and promising, but once again falling short of my expectations. Really kinda stinks, doesn't it?

I'm trying to remember what Princess Max was like. I had one a long while back. I remember seeing the commercials in the UK and they mentioned a virtual pet. I bought it thinking it was a unique idea but when I started it up the pet was lacking. I don't remember much detail other than it wasn't virtual pet like and after I played with it for maybe a half hour I put it down and it pretty much never saw the light of day again.

Anyone who has this or has played with this and would like to write a short blip on it feel free as I feel it was soo long ago that I can't remember a whole lot.

sukatchi
Tama Zone Greats
sukatchi
Tama Zone Greats

12:16 AM - Nov 14, 2008 #9

was princess max abit like this? This site mentions it has a virtural pet while others mention that it is just a girls organizer :?:

atashi
Tama Zone Superstars
atashi
Tama Zone Superstars

12:36 AM - Nov 14, 2008 #10

sukatchi @ Nov 14 2008, 10:16 AM wrote: was princess max abit like this? This site mentions it has a virtural pet while others mention that it is just a girls organizer :?:
That would be the one! I would advise to steer clear of this if you're wanting a vpet. I can't remember the specifics of it but that it wasn't what I was looking for!

Jameswa
Tama Zone High ranks
Jameswa
Tama Zone High ranks

9:34 AM - Nov 14, 2008 #11

I think Miuchiz should be added to this list.

They come in three different varieties: Miuchiz Pawz, Miuchiz Bratz and Miuchiz Monsterz.
They are handhelds where you raise either a dog, cat, baby or monster. They do not have any growth process at all and are not even pets.

The aim is just to buy things with 'Creditz' to keep your character happy. It has only three status icons: happy, hungry and fun. They get boring very quickly and have no generations, marriage, the games are boring and give you very little money, and there is nothing to do on it. I do not recommend anyone buying these.

Here is a link to a picture (the colours vary): http://img.skitch.com/20081114-qucim2b9 ... b5p9dy.png

atashi
Tama Zone Superstars
atashi
Tama Zone Superstars

12:05 PM - Nov 14, 2008 #12

Awesome James! You know I was very tempted to buy this model of toy as it looked really promising! I think what kept me away is I read a buyer had trouble with it crashing alot and that to hook it to the internet was somewhat of a bother...apparently there's alot of updates you have to install. Not to mention I think it only covers your first year of access online and then you've got to pay to keep it...Now I don't know how true that is but it certainly weighed into the final decision.

That and I remember trying to talk my stepdaughter into picking one up with me as she loves (or loved, not sure she's in one of those 'transition phases' right now) Bratz and I thought hey that's a wonderful way for us to meet half way and try to get her foot in the door with vpets. I couldn't convince her and by the sound of it I'm glad!!

BTW, I added your submission to the list, James. :)

Pozhar
Tama Zone Superstars
Pozhar
Tama Zone Superstars

7:57 PM - Nov 14, 2008 #13

In the discussion of the Anipalz, I forgot to mention that they are available in Japan as a "Nyan Pod" (the cat) or a "Wan Pod" (the dog). I saw a Nyan Pod on eBay not that long ago, and I would hope no one bought it without realizing exactly what they were getting themselves into.

Jameswa
Tama Zone High ranks
Jameswa
Tama Zone High ranks

11:06 PM - Nov 14, 2008 #14

Thanks atashi for adding my contribution and by the way, congratulations on becoming a Moderator! I'm sure you'll be a fantastic person for the job.

I noticed that in your post the Miuchiz image doesn't work, because the address is wrong. It's:

atashi
Tama Zone Superstars
atashi
Tama Zone Superstars

11:30 PM - Nov 14, 2008 #15

Jameswa @ Nov 15 2008, 09:06 AM wrote: Thanks atashi for adding my contribution and by the way, congratulations on becoming a Moderator! I'm sure you'll be a fantastic person for the job.

I noticed that in your post the Miuchiz image doesn't work, because the address is wrong. It's:
:topic:
Not a problem at all! ^_^ Thanks for letting me know of linking wrong. I just cut and pasted and probably didn't realise it was wrong. If you could find us a link in the packaging, that might be even better - I figure that will help since you'd see it in the full package at the store.

Thanks for warm wishes for moderator too.

Just to let anyone else who might have some contributions please share, and thanks to all for their input so far! :wink: