twomoods
Lost Mariner
twomoods
Lost Mariner

December 15th, 2007, 11:32 pm #41

Yeah really cool! Thank you, fascinating stuff.

And thanks to Rob Tapert for setting the tone on XWP. So that everyone involved could free up their creativity and be open to ideas like lesbian subtext too, and make a brill ground-breaking show that doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves. It also created a modern icon, and an entertaining fairytale that resonates on many levels with some of us. A bit of magic in a sea of TV formulaic dross.

Thanks for all that!

Cheers Tobias, EZ and whoever else helped set this up too

mihb
Warlord
mihb
Warlord

December 17th, 2007, 12:26 am #42

Haha! twomoods, I like your signature picture thingy.

Thanks to SaraXenite for the ROCTemple banner and JCovington for the keepership.
Proud member of the PLA

toxic64
Lost Mariner
toxic64
Lost Mariner

December 17th, 2007, 4:21 am #43

Thankyou, Rob! You truly went above and beyond with answering most of the questions.

CorXy II
Warlord

December 17th, 2007, 12:45 pm #44

WOW!!

Super kewl!!! Thanks Rob!!!! I love him!

VENICE on YouTube: www.youtube.com/venicetheseries

VENICE Official Website www.venicetheseries.com

twomoods
Lost Mariner
twomoods
Lost Mariner

December 17th, 2007, 5:12 pm #45

Thanks mihb

princessah
Dreamworker
princessah
Dreamworker

December 19th, 2007, 10:23 am #46

That was great!
And Rob is right, there should have been MORE SEASONS!

Visit My Site.

[/size]

Davesnothome
Warlord

December 21st, 2007, 1:49 am #47

For those interested in future non-Xena projects that Rob and Sam might be up to, here's a news story from Scifi.com

"Raimi Helming Hell, Then Hobbit

Spider-Man director Sam Raimi will return to his genre roots to helm Drag Me to Hell, a supernatural thriller he wrote with his brother, Ivan Raimi, Variety reported.

After Drag Me to Hell, Raimi is expected to helm the Hobbit films for New Line and MGM now that Peter Jackson, who will executive-produce the movies, has made it clear he won't direct them, the trade paper reported.

Hell, a morality tale about the unwitting recipient of a supernatural curse, will go into production early next year. It will be financed through Ghost House, a joint venture Raimi and Rob Tapert formed several years ago with Mandate Pictures.

Raimi and Tapert will produce with Grant Curtis, and Josh Donen will executive-produce with Mandate's Nathan Kahane and Joe Drake.

Tapert said the Raimis wrote the script well before the formation of Ghost House. It was originally written under the title The Curse and completed right after the siblings collaborated on 1992's Army of Darkness, which Sam Raimi directed."

Looks like we might get to see some of our favorite kiwi actors on the big screen some time in the future!

Dave

Hatshepsout
Warlord

December 21st, 2007, 7:54 pm #48

Thank you Mr Tapert for answering all those questions. That was quite interesting to read. I learnt a lot of interesting things about Xena and other various projects.

I also thank you for making X:WP. Never before and never since there was another series that touched me, made me laugh and shocked me (in a good way!) like Xena did. Everything, from the actors' performance, the use of history, the drama, the comedy, the action, the fantasy, to the subtext, it had all the ingredients to make the most fascinating series.

Last, I wish you merry christmas and happy to year to you and your family. And may you helm a new tv series soon, because tv (and the fans!) needs someone who is able to push the envelope!

"No, no, yes, no. I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No, again. Are there any more questions? Good."

slibby
Sidekick
slibby
Sidekick

December 22nd, 2007, 3:14 am #49

Thanks again Mr Tapert for answering all these questions, interesting read

May you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, best of luck with your future projects, hoping to see something soon

Thank you Tobias

<edited because sig is to big>
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything~ Albert Einstein 

kttoo
TX Member
kttoo
TX Member

December 24th, 2007, 12:45 pm #50

I have enjoyed reading this question and answer session so much. Im always interested in talking about the show but even better is to hear about the reality of all the factors that impacted the making of the show from the guy who personally made it all happen.

This discussion reminded me of the old glory days of the Xena fan club Chakram newsletter when interviews were done during the shooting of the show. Hoo-ha~!

One thing that always strikes me about Rob is what an adult he is. When things go well, he always praises the particular individuals on the team who helped pull that off. When things go badly, he takes responsibility for that outcome. Now theres a type of boss you dont see very often.

One of the most interesting things to me is the huge respect he has for the writers of the show. At the conventions, Ive heard R.J., Chris Manheim and Steve Sears all talk about what a great working environment Rob created for everyone. I think its a pretty rare producer who not only knows but absolutely understands what the heart of the whole process is-which is that this industry is all about storytelling. Sure, sure as Lucy has said, Were here to sell soap-but the best way to get the people who want you to sell their soap to underwrite your show, is to create a great character with a great story for people to fall in love with and to care about enough to tune in to watch her next adventure.

When Rob mentioned putting all the writers in a room and having them all work together in the early stages of each episode, I remembered listening to Chris Manheim onstage with Rob at the 2005 con talking about working on XWP:

"Everybody in the room had a voice. From the assistants on up. I was a free-lancer. I came into the room for the first time and there are eight people there. And everybody had a say. I was trying to figure out the pecking order and I couldn't."

Rob added, "You have to let people make their own mistakes. Don't take that privilege away from them. Don't punish people for bad ideas.

What a fantastic opportunity it must have been for the writers, to be able to bring their own experiences, talent and creative ideas to suggest where this character might go in the future. To be so encouraged to think outside the more common box of a set in stone formula, made up before the character ever even reached the screen-man, thats just gotta be so exciting, to be such a part of the creative process. No wonder this show didnt just push the envelope, but shredded it to bits regularly. No wonder it was such an inspiration for so many other shows. And no wonder it fascinated so many of us-and continues to do so even though its been off the air for six loooooooong years. Man, do I hope Rob gets to do his dream projects with Lucy and with Lucy and Renee before too many of us die off. ;->

I imagine that sometimes in such a crucible of creativity, there must have been some head butting. But I bet there were also lots of highs achieved when things worked out. (And when they didnt, Rob would take the blame-cool!) Now theres the type of boss itd be a joy to work with.

It was also fascinating hearing all the ins and outs of this turbulent transition time for the television industry from someone whos right on the front battle lines.

My heartfelt thanks to Tobias (and anyone else who might have been involved) for setting this up, to Rob for agreeing to do it and for treating it with respect, taking the time to answer so many questions with lots of attention to detail-AND for being so playful at times. Grin. Thanks also to the fans who participated. There were some really good questions in there.

But I do have one quibble-I dont believe that Gabrielle will ever be better with a chakram than Xena was.

KT

Edited for a little clarification but also for - darn typos! .

EZ RYDER1
Immortal

December 25th, 2007, 1:18 pm #51

I havent commented here, my bad, but I would like to thank Rob also for all the time he put in to this for us, and all those questions answered. What a great read! Thank you Rob!

VISIT TALKING XENA

VISIT TALKING XENA

GabsGiggle
Lost Mariner
GabsGiggle
Lost Mariner

January 12th, 2008, 10:36 am #52

Thanks to the mods for sticking this again! I wasn't done with reading and am glad that this thread is here again. It's a very interesting read!

"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words" (Anonymous).
"A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words" (Anonymous).

xenawp7706
Xenite

January 12th, 2008, 11:35 am #53

Thanks for putting the whole interview back

EZ RYDER1
Immortal

February 24th, 2008, 12:20 pm #54

Im unsticking this now as its been up top long enough. Please bookmark this so you can find it agin if need be.

VISIT TALKING XENA

Tobias7
Xenite

March 18th, 2008, 11:01 pm #55

Bump for newer members.

Tobias7
Xenite

April 3rd, 2008, 3:24 am #56

bump

Batrochides
Titan

July 23rd, 2008, 3:05 am #57

Future historic note.

Batrochides
Titan

October 20th, 2008, 1:56 am #58

heartburn2
Immortal

October 21st, 2008, 11:19 pm #59

BRRRRR Merry Xmas :DL

stutz788
Warlord

December 13th, 2008, 6:38 am #60

Sorry to bump this thread, but there's an article on AfterEllen about who you would like to be cast as Uber X&G in a TV show or movie..... Of course, there's only one choice!!!!

In the comments, the question of "THE MOVIE" was asked... I wanted to refer to this thread and so... The "bump".

Sorry if this contravenes the rules..... and anyway..... this is an excellent thread to periodically bring to the attention of new members. <IMHO>
Aw ra best
Jock