Moderator: Moderators

Lamborghini Miura - Matchbox vs. Hot Wheels 100% vs. Kyosho

250 TR
SUV
SUV

March 23rd, 2014, 7:38 am #1

Up for review are three different versions of the wonderful Lamborghini Miura. First is the Matchbox version from the recent Exotics 5 pack, next is the Hot Wheels 100% version, and last is the Kyosho Miura Jota. The Kyosho is the Jota version of the Miura so it's not quite a comparison of like models but I think it's close enough to the regular Miura to warrant being included in the comparison. I personally think all three models are great in their own right. Each has it's flaws, but I think all three are very well done overall. The Matchbox is the least detailed but I actually think it is the most accurate. The Hot Wheels is very well detailed and is very nice with it's opening engine bay, but the casting is not quite as defined. The Kyosho looks great, especially in pictures, but there are a few faults with it that aren't quite up to the typical Kyosho level. For one, the front rides a little too high and the engine cover also looks a little cheaply done for Kyosho. Nitpicking aside, I think all three are great models and would be welcome additions for anyone that is a fan of the Miura. Feel free to post your own thoughts, comments or pictures.

March 23rd, 2014, 7:34 pm #2

I am fond of the Matchbox versions too! I think did a very excellent job for it being a dollar car and if the wheels on the MB version wasn't so big I think it would give the other 2 alot more competition in overall appearance. The thick paint on the HWs version seems to blurr out the lines of the car but otherwise an excellent model. I have being eyeing that 5 pack for sometime now but I am refraining from multi car purchases. If I found the MB Lamborghini in a single I would grab it in a heartbeat. It seems that the gold color suits that car quite well.

Stampede
SUV
SUV

March 24th, 2014, 3:42 am #3

For $1, you can't go wrong with the Matchbox. As you said, all the models look great!

clem24
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

March 24th, 2014, 5:18 pm #4

All 3 look great but the MBX stands out IMO as the one that most looks like the prototype. If you spruced it up a bit (add a mirror, some detail paint, put on accurate rims), I think you have a better model than the other 2.

jedimario
SUV
SUV

March 25th, 2014, 12:13 am #5

Kyosho wheels never fail to amaze me. But as everyone's said, all three are fantastic. Kudos to the MB for punching above its price point.

Siniweb
Fullsize
Fullsize

April 20th, 2014, 12:26 pm #6

All three are amazing little models, every one of them has its justification to be sought after by collectors.
In my opinion the CM's casting of the Lambo Miura tops them all, but it´s just me.

Full Flaps!
Compact
Compact

May 7th, 2014, 1:02 am #7

I purchased the Matchbox 5-pack - on sale for $3.00, specifically for the Miura.
Turns out the BMW Z8 in that pack is pretty nice too, and surprisingly heavy.

But the Matchbox works for me.
It's got the right look, clever details, and is an excellent example - especially for the money.
And like the 1:1 Miura, just about as uncommon to see.
I never did see the yellow release around my area.

On the subject of Kyosho, I've read elsewhere that the quality of their details tends to fall short occasionally - even in 1:18.
Makes me a little wary of Kyosho.

punisher1
Midsize
Midsize

February 19th, 2017, 1:40 pm #8

All look to be great detail. The Hot wheels one is putting me off though, as the headlights look like it's crossed-eyed & from a 'Cars' movie! :/

coldpopcarl
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

March 7th, 2017, 7:44 pm #9

Here is one I really like havin'

I been trying to locate me HW KAYBEE TOYS jay leno for past couple years

Atencio
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

March 9th, 2017, 6:32 am #10

CMs Lamborghini are pretty darn close to Kyosho. Sitting on a shelf I have trouble telling them apart unless it's one of the CMs with the headlights up. I just picked up a Sakura which is a tab on the large size at 1/54 but an interesting piece.

BossCar
Fullsize
Fullsize

March 12th, 2017, 3:01 pm #11

The most recent Miura in the MBX Best of has got to be one the nicest MBX models I've ever seen. The mainline Miura was already great. That blue one is just fantastic.

Lummox
Microcar
Microcar

June 23rd, 2017, 7:28 pm #12

A little late to the party, but love the thread.

The Kyosho of course is masterfully done as most are. MB give more bang for the buck if $s are an issue.

Then the HW's 100%...I can hardly make out what the wheels are trying to look like. I can only guess the obvious.
A little black-wash work to those wheels and you'll rectify the visual mush.
Paint is a little thick, and the front valance doesn't mesh with the shape of the front clip perfect,
but would buy it in a heartbeat.

After seeing MBXPilot's blue MB, I had to order one form evilbay. So nice!

Bison Eye
Compact
Compact

June 3rd, 2018, 10:51 pm #13

My favorites are Matchbox and Tomica.

9F6FDD88_E93D_4BD1_A2AC_FA0CEEDA6083.jpeg

corvairjim
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

July 3rd, 2018, 3:25 am #14

To me, ANY Miura is a winner. In my humble opinion, the Miura is, by far, the most beautiful mid-engine car Lamborghini ever produced.