Moderator: Moderators

Car Of The Day: June 3, 2018

Dean-o-mite
Pony Car
Pony Car

June 3rd, 2018, 9:52 am #1

Today's car of the day is Ertl American Muscle's 1970 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28.

Wikipedia wrote:The second-generation Chevrolet Camaro was produced by Chevrolet from 1970 through the 1981 model years. It was introduced in the spring of 1970. It was longer, lower, and wider than the first generation Camaro. A convertible body-type was no longer available. Dubbed "Super Hugger", the second-generation Camaro was developed without the rush of the first generation and benefited from a greater budget justified by the success of the first generation. Although it was an all-new car, the basic mechanical layout of the new Camaro was familiar, engineered much like its predecessor with a unibody structure utilizing a front subframe, A-arm and coil spring front suspension, and rear leaf springs. The chassis and suspension of the second generation were greatly refined in both performance and comfort; base models offered significant advances in sound-proofing, ride isolation, and road-holding. Extensive experience Chevrolet engineers had gained racing the first-generation led directly to advances in second-generation Camaro steering, braking, and balance. Although it began its run with a number of high-performance configurations, as the 1970s progressed, the Camaro grew less powerful, succumbing, like many production cars of the era, to the pressures of tightening emissions regulations and a fuel crisis. Major styling changes were made in 1974 and 1978; 1981 was the final model year for the second-generation Camaro.

For more information and pictures of the real car please visit: Chevrolet Camaro

This Ertl American Muscle Camaro in "Astro Blue" has a similar shade of paint as the High Speed Jaguar run 10 years ago. But the real noteworthiness comes from the opening hood and trunk.

Wikipedia wrote:Most of the engine and drivetrain components were carried over from 1969, with the exception of the 230 cu in (3.8 L) six-cylinder - the base engine was now the 250 cu in (4.1 L) six, rated at 155 hp. The 1970 Camaro SS 396 had the 396 cu in (6.5 L) L78 rated at 350 hp. Starting in 1970, the big block V8s (nominally 396 cu in (6.5 L)) actually displaced 402 cu in (6.6 L), yet Chevrolet chose to retain the 396 badges. Two 454 cu in (7.4 L) engines (the LS6 and LS7) were listed on early specification sheets and in some sales brochures but never made it into production. Besides the base model, buyers could select the Rally Sport option with a distinctive nose and bumper, a Super Sport package, and the Z-28 Special Performance Package (priced at US$572.95) featuring a new high-performance LT-1 360 hp 350 cu in (5.7 L) V8. The LT-1 engine in the 1970 Camaro Z-28 came from the Corvette. The new body style featured a fastback roofline and ventless full-door glass with no rear side quarter windows. Doors were wider to permit easier access to the rear seat, and new pull-up handles replaced the old handles, for which the lower button had to be pushed in to open the door. The roof was a new double-shell unit for improved rollover protection and noise reduction. The base model featured a separate bumper/grille design with parking lights under the bumper, while the Rally Sport option included a distinctive grille surrounded by a flexible Endura material along with round parking lights beside the headlights and bumperettes surrounding on both sides of the grille. The rear was highlighted by four round taillights similar to the Corvette. A convertible was not offered, making this the only Camaro generation not to offer one.

Dean-o-mite
Pony Car
Pony Car

June 3rd, 2018, 9:53 am #2

Dean-o-mite wrote:

Based on images found (or not found) online, it would appear white stripes on the Astro Blue was not a common combination on the real car.
1970_Camaro_Astro_Blue.jpg

pjedsel
Muscle Car
Muscle Car

June 3rd, 2018, 1:13 pm #3

:thumbup: Recall when the American Muscle Car series came out from ERTL and many of us said "WOW!". I looked at the price (for those times) and thought to myself - little car collecting is going upscale but then this was not a dollar Hot Wheels car - I am so glad ERTL took the risk and offered these well detailed and higher priced models when they did. :toy:

Pegers
Pony Car
Pony Car

June 3rd, 2018, 4:39 pm #4

it has a very clean well made look to it.

JeepXJLover
Minivan
Minivan

June 3rd, 2018, 4:49 pm #5

The color is amazing. Though I don't care for the casting.

daniel60
Personal Luxury Car
Personal Luxury Car

June 3rd, 2018, 5:42 pm #6

Outstanding.

94cadillacfleetwood
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

June 3rd, 2018, 7:32 pm #7

I do have this one, but in a darker blue.

I've been going through my collection this week and I didn't realize just how many of these Ertl American Muscle cars I have. They had a pretty extensive line-up. And they've held up well considering all the extra pieces such as side-view mirrors, exhausts and even front suspension components.

juantoo3
Sports Car
Sports Car

June 3rd, 2018, 9:42 pm #8

I believe two examples of this were offered on RC red cards (red with black accents was Baldwin Motion, silver was Fast Times at Ridgemont High) and the darker blue was Route 66. Otherwise the Ertl issues of this same casting were all in blisters (blue, silver/bronze, and red), I have yet to find it issued in the Hobby Cubes. Took me a long time to find the red variant, now they pop up all over the place.

corvairjim
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

June 4th, 2018, 3:06 am #9

I have always been a fan of the 1970-73 Camaro. I love it's European-inspired styling. Too bad Washington got into the act, mandating those awful bumpers found on the 1974-77 models (I think Pontiac handled the bumpers on the Firebird a lot better). The 1978 restyle helped matters to a certain extent, but it never had the purity of the original 2nd-Gen cars, at least to my eyes. I will usually grab up on any early 2nd-Gen Camaro diecast I come across but, unfortunately, I never came across this beauty.

Z28HO
Station Wagon
Station Wagon
Z28HO
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

June 20th, 2018, 8:14 am #10

They were a little expensive but worth it. Nobody has really kept up with them for the added details. Even down to hiding the attachment screws under the removable front suspension and gas tank.
Still the only company to put see through louvers on the rear window of the Mustang Mach one, not just a piece of molded plastic with steps.
And my favorite is still the red 1960 Ford Starliner with a continental kit.
Auto World would do good to pay attention to the American Muscle series for the attention to DETAIL and SCALE that they advertise.

Stangfreak
Convertible
Convertible

June 20th, 2018, 11:53 am #11

One awesome casting... Love that blue...
I have this vary of the same casting...

jurcpa
Fullsize
Fullsize

June 22nd, 2018, 8:40 am #12

top color,stripes and a fantastic styling ,great car and a evergreen,many thanks

webestang64
Minivan
Minivan

June 22nd, 2018, 9:42 pm #13

Best year Maro ever........... :drool: