Moderator: Moderators

Car Of The Day: August 30, 2018

Dean-o-mite
Pony Car
Pony Car

August 30th, 2018, 8:08 am #1

Today's car of the day comes from corvairjim's collection, and is Matchbox's 1967 BMC 1800 Pininfarina Berlina Aerodinamica Concept.

carstyling wrote:This brilliant Pininfarina styling exercise was never considered for production. The running gear was pure BMC 1800, but the style was utterly unique for 1967. This gorgeous car predates the Citroen CX by seven years. One wonders how BMC may have fared had they the courage to put this beauty into production. That's assuming the company could afford it, and such a complex car could be put into production. However, it would have certainly appealed in Europe and would undoubtedly have created a high-technology reputation for the (by then) struggling manufacturer. There’s no doubt that, had BMC had the foresight to produce this car, then things might have been somewhat different in the lead-up to the Leyland takeover of the following year. Styled by Italian Carrozzeria Pininfarina, the Berlina Aerodinamica was as svelte and slippery as the standard BMC 1800 was frumpy and unappealing to contemporary motorists. Unveiled at the 1967 Turin Motor Show (below), seven years before the introduction of the very similar-looking Citroën CX, and nine before the Rover SD1 and Lancia Gamma Berlina, the styling of this concept car was hugely influential.

For more information and pictures of the real car please visit: BMC 1800 Pininfarina

It looks like corvairjim struck gold.

carstyling wrote:There was never very much wrong with the production 1800 to drive thanks to keen dynamics and reasonable performance (especially in the later 2200cc guise) but it was brought down by its stark interior and rather challenging styling. Plenty of subsequent speculation from commentators has concluded that with this styling, the 1800 could have gone on to be a huge international hit - although we're not so sure that buyers would have been ready to take the leap in the late 1960s - and the 1800 may well have benefited more from a less extreme restyle of its interior and exterior and the option of a column gearshift (something very popular in Europe at the time).

craftymore
Muscle Car
Muscle Car

August 30th, 2018, 11:30 am #2

Dean-o-mite wrote:

19 years later the Ford Taurus was introduced which to me looks very similar. I can see influences galore.

atombaum
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

August 30th, 2018, 11:42 am #3

Great example. Always thought this was a Citroen until looking at the base.

avalanche man
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

August 30th, 2018, 2:08 pm #4

Not sure why, but this reminds me of a Citroen I don't like looking at.

juantoo3
Sports Car
Sports Car

August 30th, 2018, 4:23 pm #5

Another classic Matchbox

pjedsel
Muscle Car
Muscle Car

August 30th, 2018, 7:27 pm #6

This was one of those I wonder what it is - yes the base gave a name but that didn't ring any bells in those day. :o It is a very nice model from the early Superfast days. I just came across my example - thought I had sent it to another garage and still debating on that. ;)

tksjohn
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

August 30th, 2018, 7:48 pm #7

Here's another one I thought would have been featured as a COTD by now. This one is a keeper :thumbup:

Pegers
Pony Car
Pony Car

August 30th, 2018, 8:23 pm #8

juantoo3 wrote:Another classic Matchbox
X2. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

corvairjim
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

August 31st, 2018, 4:01 am #9

I, too, thought this was either a Citroen or a Rover when I first saw it. And I wasn't aware until reading the excerpts from Carstyling above that it was a 1960's show car and not a 1970's production model. This car is as futuristic for the 1960's as the Citroen DS series was for the 1950's. I definitely like it. The looks of a Citroen without all the troublesome hydraulics to go bad (Maybe not a problem in Europe, but here in the states where Citroen isn't sold anymore, finding a mechanic to work on them would be a major nuisance).

jurcpa
Fullsize
Fullsize

September 10th, 2018, 1:02 pm #10

one of the first mb car and one of the best ,many thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! nice citro !!!

microbuss
SUV
SUV

September 11th, 2018, 12:28 am #11

here is my not so great one

but I agree with everyone that it does resemble a Citreon
Especially these Citreons which are called SM
DSCN0993.jpg
DSCN0992.jpg

corvairjim
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

September 11th, 2018, 4:59 am #12

Tied for Car of the Week. Not too shabby for a car that never saw production in 1:1 scale. I was fortunate to find this prime example at a very reasonable price at a toy show last month.