Moderators: DaWeber, Moderators

Alfa Romeo BAT cars

STUTZ
SUV
SUV

March 1st, 2009, 8:20 pm #1

These Alfa Romeo BAT cars got my attention at the car museum.

DaWeber
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

March 1st, 2009, 10:54 pm #2

Ray
Weren't all the B.A.T.s concept cars? My emphasis is on production cars and their histories- but these are nice! And we at least have a model of one represented by the HWs model issued a couple of years ago!

STUTZ
SUV
SUV

March 4th, 2009, 2:41 am #3

DaWeber wrote:Ray
Weren't all the B.A.T.s concept cars? My emphasis is on production cars and their histories- but these are nice! And we at least have a model of one represented by the HWs model issued a couple of years ago!
Sorry Dave, I didn't know where to start a thread with the BAT cars, and I thought this was the best place. I was nice to see the three of them together, and I wanted to share the pics with people who didn't know anything about them.

Swifty
Luxury Car
Luxury Car

March 4th, 2009, 9:19 am #4

The Hot Wheels Alfa Romeo BAT 9:

James
Convertible
Convertible

March 4th, 2009, 10:16 am #5

THis car is cool........ I like it.......

STUTZ
SUV
SUV

March 4th, 2009, 6:40 pm #6

Swifty wrote:The Hot Wheels Alfa Romeo BAT 9:

Very cool car Swifty! :thumbup:

Thanks for the pics.

Swifty
Luxury Car
Luxury Car

March 5th, 2009, 9:27 am #7

Agreed! If not for the blue glass, it would be almost perfect! The real car is very elegant, and I love your pics of it! I've never seen it in person, is it in Las Vegas?

STUTZ
SUV
SUV

March 5th, 2009, 4:15 pm #8

Swifty wrote:Agreed! If not for the blue glass, it would be almost perfect! The real car is very elegant, and I love your pics of it! I've never seen it in person, is it in Las Vegas?
Yes, the BAT cars are in Las Vegas at the Imperial Palace Auto Museum.

The me more about the HW Alfa Romero BAT 9. What year was it made? Did it only come in silver like the 1:1 BAT 9?

Swifty
Luxury Car
Luxury Car

March 6th, 2009, 8:54 am #9

According to South Texas Diecast, the 2005 First Edition was the only issue of this car, no listed variations.

http://southtexasdiecast.com/hwguide/pr ... obat9.html

I suspect Alfa Romeo's licensing department strikes again. Matchbox has a very nice Alfa Romeo casting that they can only do in white or red as those were the only two colors the real car came in. As this is a one of a kind prototype, there would be no recolor options available outside of fantasy over-tampoed models (which it appears AR has no interest in allowing).

STUTZ
SUV
SUV

March 6th, 2009, 12:45 pm #10

Thanks for the info Swifty. I missed the car when it first came out in 2005.

Swifty
Luxury Car
Luxury Car

March 7th, 2009, 10:44 am #11

You know, with Hot Wheels having this casting, and the Batman license, you'd think a car called the BAT 9 would be a logical choice to appear in black with red or yellow window glazing... ;) Hence why I suspect Alfa Romeo is to blame for this car not showing up again and not Hot Wheels.

juantoo3
Sports Car
Sports Car

January 27th, 2010, 3:19 am #12

I can't see the pics where I am at right now, although I am sure they are nice.

The story as I recall, is that the B.A.T. numbers 5, 7 and 9 were prototype aero-styling studies done in the mid to late '50's. The B.A.T. 9 somehow made it onto a used car lot in southern California where it sat for some time as an eye catcher. It was purchased, I want to say early to mid '70's, by a teenager who admired the car for some time and begged the owner until he relented. That teenager held the car for quite a while, until sometime in the late '90's he was essentially made an offer he simply couldn't refuse. This was, plus or minus, about the same time HW's came out with their version. Sadly I don't recall the specifics as to names and such, but this was from an article in an automotive publication.

There was an effort underway to bring the three sisters back together, and apparently it was successful if all three are being shown together. As I recall from the article there was some question as to how to restore one of them (number 5 I believe) as it had actually been tried in a couple of versions, and even after the official changes the later owner at some point did a little modifying of his own. The story of these three cars is actually a very fascinating history all to itself.

The HW version was not quite rare, but not especially common either. I know I grabbed every one I ever found, even before I read the article, and I only have about 4 copies. If I can dig one out, it's yours for the asking STUTZ.

STUTZ
SUV
SUV

January 27th, 2010, 3:26 am #13

juantoo3 wrote:I can't see the pics where I am at right now, although I am sure they are nice.

The story as I recall, it that the B.A.T. numbers 5, 7 and 9 were prototype aero-styling studies done in the mid to late '50's. The B.A.T. 9 somehow made it onto a used car lot in southern California where it sat for some time as an eye catcher. It was purchased, I want to say early to mid '70's, by a teenager who admired the car for some time and begged the owner until he relented. That teenager held the car for quite a while, until sometime in the late '90's he was essentially made an offer he simply couldn't refuse. This was, plus or minus, about the same time HW's came out with their version. Sadly I don't recall the specifics as to names and such, but this was from an article in an automotive publication.

There was an effort underway to bring the three sisters back together, and apparently it was successful if all three are being shown together. As I recall from the article there was some question as to how to restore one of them (number 5 I believe) as it had actually been tried in a couple of versions, and even after the official changes the later owner at some point did a little modifying of his own. The story of these three cars is actually a very fascinating history all to itself.

The HW version was not quite rare, but not especially common either. I know I grabbed every one I ever found, even before I read the article, and I only have about 4 copies. If I can dig one out, it's yours for the asking STUTZ.
Thanks for the offer and for info juantoo3.

I got a copy of the HW BAT car last year.

juantoo3
Sports Car
Sports Car

January 27th, 2010, 4:40 am #14

Here's the Wiki:
wrote:The Alfa Romeo BAT is an Italian concept car. The car originated in a joint collaboration project between Alfa Romeo and the Italian design house; Bertone that began in 1953. Of the successful project came three cars: the BAT 5 in 1953, the BAT 7 in 1954, and finally the BAT 9 in 1955.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfa_Romeo_BAT

very extensive reference, including:
wrote:BAT for "Berlinetta Aerodinamica Tecnica
wrote:The BAT 9 did away with the marked wing lines of the previous models in favour of a cleaner, more sober line. The tail fins, which in the other two models, 5 and 7, had a real wing-like look, were sized down into two small metal plates, much like the tail fins in production on American and some European cars of the time. Bertone transformed the highly creative styling of the two previous BAT models into design credibility, abandoning the extremes of the other designs.
wrote:After more than 50 years, there is a new BAT model. The BAT 11 made its début in Geneva, at the time of the 2008 Geneva Auto Show, though not at the show itself. The new BAT 11, based on the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione, shares many styling cues with the classic BAT cars of the 50s.

AQUA XK8
Fullsize
Fullsize
AQUA XK8
Fullsize
Fullsize

August 31st, 2016, 7:40 pm #15

Finally, I was able to obtain this BAT car 1st edition. I passed on buying it back when HW initially released it, thinking it was a figment of their imagination car. After learning it was a real concept car, it was very hard to find one of these HW BAT cars. And yes, it would be better with clear glass on it.

microbuss
SUV
SUV

September 2nd, 2016, 4:23 pm #16

super cool! B)
Batman would drive one! :lol:
as would I

Bison Eye
Compact
Compact

June 3rd, 2018, 10:46 pm #17

The BAT 7 is by far my favorite. I wish someone would make a 1:64 version...