Moderator: Moderators

1948 Tucker Torpedo

jedimario
SUV
SUV

October 28th, 2014, 11:11 pm #1

All of these high-end 1:18 cars sure are nice, aren't they? I love to see them. The craftsmanship and effort that goes into them is incredible. They truly deserve the attention they get.

Alas, Auto Art, CMC, and the like do not hold a monopoly on the large scale market. Other companies have realized that not everyone wants to spend 3 figures on a fancy paperweight. On this revelation, I present to you the Yat Ming 1948 Tucker Torpedo.

Yat Ming has an interesting history as a producer of die-cast. They have been around for a few decades and have produced both high and low end models in their time. These cars have been marketed under all manner of brand names and many are not labeled as Yat Mings on the base, so identifying them can be a challenge. This one, while not horrible, falls squarely in the lower end of the quality spectrum, especially compared to some of the nicer makers of 1:18 scale vehicles.

One quick note- I got this one second hand and it was not in dead mint shape when I got it. You'll probably see some scuffs in these pictures that I suspect are due to wear and tear rather than poor quality control.

Design & Accuracy: 6/10

I must admit that I am no expert on Tuckers, but I am familiar with the car and have seen a couple in my time. The proportions on this car feel just right and everything that Yat Ming could replicate given the price is done earnestly at the least. 6 may seem high, but I think overall there are no glaring flaws and from a distance this one looks pretty good. The front grilles are blacked out which seems to be incorrect, but this is at worst a minor error and at best the way one one of the few 1:1s was done and I just can't find a picture of it.

Fit & Finish: 3/10

This is where the car really suffers. Gaps around the opening panels are pretty bad and a large percentage of the plastic bits tacked on to the metal are crooked, don't sit quite right, or have some other problem. I've seen worse, but not by much. Also, the steering feels dreadful. But at least it's there I suppose.

Features: 6/10

Nothing terribly noteworthy here. The standard features are present. Both the frunk and rear engine cover open and of course the glorious suicide doors are functional. The opening motions are actually exceptional (especially considering the price) and the hinges solidly stay put at the right spot. If I threw this thing across the room with everything opened, I wouldn't be surprised if none of the parts closed. Ok, I may be exaggerating there, but you get the point. That combined with the (non-removable) luggage in the frunk bumps this score up a point.

Value: 3/10

I suppose you may now be wondering how on earth a $30 (plus shipping- that seems to be the typical going rate on eBay) model could score so low in this section. There is just no way around it- despite the good things I've said about this car, the detail and fit and finish are far, far inferior to even a Maisto or Welly 1/18, much less an Auto Art. You may spend 50-100% more on a Maisto, but you are getting twice the die-cast. You can extrapolate and come to your own conclusions about the nicer brands. The only reason to own this one, cost considered, is that to my knowledge there is not another Torpedo in 1/18.

Rarity: 2/10

Right now, there are plenty of these things on eBay. I know many of the cars in that link are 1/43, but many are also 1/18, and you can find more listed under the Road Signature brand. I bumped this score up because, like anything 1/18 these days, they are nigh impossible to find in physical stores. But this is 2014 and that doesn't count for much anymore.

Total: 20/50

A harsh final score, but I feel it's been wholly earned. There is a difference between cheap and inexpensive, and this model just strays too far into cheap territory. If you are a Tucker fan and collect 1:18s, this could fill a big hole in your collection. Other than that, I suggest you spend your money elsewhere.

craftymore
Muscle Car
Muscle Car

October 29th, 2014, 4:08 am #2

For a simple shelf model that isn't viewed often up close it works. The few large scale models I have aren't much far off quality wise with most of those purchased in the 1990s.

DaWeber
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

October 29th, 2014, 4:48 pm #3

Please note that the name "Torpedo" according to the Tucker experts is incorrect. It was named the Tucker "48" . The Torpedo model was actually conceived in 1946 but never came to production, with the final design being severely modified to be the "48" ! I cannot understand why so many manufacturers and even collectors use the incorrect nomenclature for this car. I suspect "Torpedo" sounds more attractive than "48" .

October 29th, 2014, 5:09 pm #4

I have the 1/18 Tucker Model in Red and it's one of my favorites and in this blue color it looks great too :thumbup:

daniel60
Personal Luxury Car
Personal Luxury Car

November 1st, 2014, 3:25 pm #5

I like this model and it would work well for me. Thanks for the pictures she looks very classy for the hee-haw brother.

November 2nd, 2014, 12:31 am #6

I have a beige version--packed away somewhere--but fell off my dresser a ways back and broke the mirror...UHG!

webestang64
Minivan
Minivan

March 10th, 2016, 6:39 pm #7

I have this blue one also, yeah, it's cheap but then I paid only $10 for mine in the box.

jedimario
SUV
SUV

March 10th, 2016, 7:00 pm #8

Hey, if it's something you want in your collection, $10 is a great price!

I have a couple more of these reviews I should post...

microbuss
SUV
SUV

March 15th, 2016, 3:58 pm #9

neat model

well alot of things on & in this car are on cars now
seat belts
car name & manufacture on the rear
pop out windshield

Plus a movie too
Tucker: A Man & A Dream :thumbup:

Stangfreak
Convertible
Convertible

February 22nd, 2018, 5:55 am #10

Great pics and that really looks down right awesome with detail... Very nice!!!

corvairjim
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

August 27th, 2018, 5:02 pm #11

webestang64 wrote:I have this blue one also, yeah, it's cheap but then I paid only $10 for mine in the box.
Me too on all counts. I found mine at the CARnival a few years back and, if memory serves, only paid $8 for it. To me, "Waltz Blue" is the ideal color for a Tucker. I'm glad Dave pointed out the error of the "Torpedo" name - He saved me the trouble. I'm a Tucker fan from way back and have seen several of them in person over the years. There's a permanent display of three of them at the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) Museum in Hershey, PA, which I have yet to see, but being so close to me (about 60 miles), I really have no excuse to miss.

craftymore
Muscle Car
Muscle Car

August 28th, 2018, 11:42 pm #12

I visited the AACA Museum a few years back when my fiancé and I made it out from Illinois for the Matchbox show. Seeing the Tucker display is one of the top highlights that you'll see in any museum. Revisiting this topic brings up another thought. When Yatming issued their Road Signature series in 1/64 they issued models that they already had in larger scales including 1/18. Among those that made it to 1/64 was the Continental Mark II, '55 Packard Convertible, and '63 Ford Falcon among others. I wonder if that series had continued on if they would have introduced the Tucker in 1/64? Johnny Lightning and Summer are the only two other companies to issue small scale versions.

Swifty
Luxury Car
Luxury Car

August 29th, 2018, 3:50 am #13

corvairjim wrote:
webestang64 wrote:I have this blue one also, yeah, it's cheap but then I paid only $10 for mine in the box.
Me too on all counts. I found mine at the CARnival a few years back and, if memory serves, only paid $8 for it. To me, "Waltz Blue" is the ideal color for a Tucker. I'm glad Dave pointed out the error of the "Torpedo" name - He saved me the trouble. I'm a Tucker fan from way back and have seen several of them in person over the years. There's a permanent display of three of them at the AACA (Antique Automobile Club of America) Museum in Hershey, PA, which I have yet to see, but being so close to me (about 60 miles), I really have no excuse to miss.
Did I mention the Matchbox show in Hershey next month is in the AACA Museum and gets you admission into the museum at a reduced rate?

#1026 (only complete Tucker 48 with an automatic transmission)

daniel60
Personal Luxury Car
Personal Luxury Car

September 12th, 2018, 8:26 pm #14

Thanks for those pictures Sean they are beautiful. What a classy car even in today's standards. Well, I should say cars today aren't anything to really marvel at like yesterdays.

94cadillacfleetwood
Station Wagon
Station Wagon

September 16th, 2018, 2:48 am #15

craftymore wrote: Johnny Lightning and Summer are the only two other companies to issue small scale versions.
Hot Wheels also had a version as well. I have the Boulevard edition in near the same colour as #1026, it was in the Classics series plus there was a TH version as well.

webestang64
Minivan
Minivan

September 20th, 2018, 6:31 pm #16

Bucket list is to see one and if I can, touch a Tucker.