Island of Extinction Winner/Returnee 4chan Spoiler

BrianHeidiksWeiner
BrianHeidiksWeiner

July 11th, 2018, 6:35 am #1

This is a spicy spoiler that was on 4chan earlier today. Really disappointing if true.

"Enjoy this wee bit of intel, Survivor channers. Production is very unhappy with the outcome of this current season that just wrapped filming. To add to that, apparently David vs Goliath was looked at as "underwhelming" by producers. Take the next couple of bits for what they're worth, I cannot confirm these things 100% but they are being talked about by former cast members as fact. This source has been reliable in the past. The last time something like this happened, it was that Fairplay told people Wendell won Ghost Island after the two met up for lunch during the season.

The two big rumors I've heard is that the newbies wipe out some of the returning players at a faster pace than normal and that the winner is someone who had been previously voted out of the game and came back in as part of the season's twist. I cannot confirm either as definite, it's only what I have heard rumblings of from some cast members of seasons past.

Producers are considering doing a full on series revamp for 39 and 40. I don't know what exactly that means but those are the terms being used and it is 100%. They want Survivor to feel fresh and brand new again because they think it is in an S11-S16 slog, which was when they were originally considering ending it."

indiekid26
indiekid26

July 11th, 2018, 6:40 am #2

Lynne Spillman being the sacrificial lamb makes even more sense now, when in reality it's Probst's over-extension into the producing capacity that's really killing this show. He's not meant to be making creative calls for a show, he's a host and entertainer. Let the storytellers tell the story, they know what they're doing. Probst loves these idols, gimmicks, twists, blindsides, etc. 

I'll tell you what Survivor needs -- it needs to go back to the basics. Plain and simple. 

MsLadyTweedy
MsLadyTweedy

July 11th, 2018, 7:45 am #3

Right about now, I don't take production's word for anything. They claimed over the past years that's each year was the most amazing season then it starts to dissapoint season after season in recent years, so them claiming it's underwhelming isn't such a bad thing..

Andi
Andi

July 11th, 2018, 9:10 am #4

Wait, so they tailor a twist so a voted out vet can still win, but then get pissed when a newbie returns and wins. Probst should gtfo of the producers room assuming this is true.

Though the S37 bit I believe in. Jeff did not look excited at the reunion at all.

MsLadyTweedy
MsLadyTweedy

July 11th, 2018, 10:32 am #5

Andi wrote: Wait, so they tailor a twist so a voted out vet can still win, but then get pissed when a newbie returns and wins. Probst should gtfo of the producers room assuming this is true.

Though the S37 bit I believe in. Jeff did not look excited at the reunion at all.
Which is a GOOD thing lol

BrianHeidiksWeiner
BrianHeidiksWeiner

July 11th, 2018, 10:49 am #6

MsLadyTweedy wrote:
Andi wrote: Wait, so they tailor a twist so a voted out vet can still win, but then get pissed when a newbie returns and wins. Probst should gtfo of the producers room assuming this is true.

Which is a GOOD thing lol
The kinds of seasons Jeff is usually over the moon about tend to be boring with deserving (male) winners. 37 doesn't sound so bad

madcap03
madcap03

July 11th, 2018, 1:03 pm #7

Yep, everything starting to add up. Lynne being fired almost immediately after production doesn't happen unless SEG are extremely unhappy with how the series played out. And quite clearly, they're PISSED.

Two more dud seasons in a row makes 5 turds in a row for the show, basically leaving it on life support. But sure, don't look at the stubborn showrunner who insists on running things into the ground by shoving in twist after twist; instead, blame the casting agent who's been there since day one and hits more often than misses.

Don't get me wrong, the show is desperately in need of a revamp to stay relevant, but the issues they're facing are staring them right in the face, yet they've consistently doubled down on the problems rather than remove them.

Case in point 1: Introducting a game-contradicting twist like Redemption Island. Period!
Case in point 2: Bringing back Redemption Island not just once, not twice, but nearly three times (and now four via stealth in this idiotic new Island of Extinction twist).
Case in point 3: doubling down on the excessive secret advantages after the infuriating Cirie boot in Game Changers, despite the mounting evidence that populating the game with so many advantages and idols is actually STIFLING gameplay, with players now increasingly afraid to make moves for fear of an unseen twist ruining their plans (exactly the same issue with Redempshit Island, where players stopped blindsiding due to the risk of their victims coming back to haunt them). This is partly why contestants are now stubbornly sticking to alliances, resulting in boring seasons with predictable pagongings.

Seriously, how can the fans see all these issues with the show yet production can stay so blissfully unaware. Seemingly, the only explanation is a stubborn showrunner with fingers in his ears.

UnanimousBB16
UnanimousBB16

July 11th, 2018, 1:56 pm #8

Production claims that Ghost Ialand was a godly season, despite it being debatably the biggest dud season EVER. I don't trust their word on what's a great season or not.

Wonderguy
Wonderguy

July 11th, 2018, 3:25 pm #9

The only recent seasons Probst was right about being amazing was Cagayan and Cambodia. Probst wasn't very hyped about Kaoh Rong but that season was great. It was the perfect blend of old school verses new school play and actually focused on the survival element again. Michele winning over Aubry wasn't the outcome a lot wanted but he was still wrong. S37 will probably be very enjoyable for us. Survivor is in need of a revamp and they need to start dwindling down on these twists ASAP. 

madcap03
madcap03

July 11th, 2018, 3:52 pm #10

SEG can't complain about the show growing stale when they refuse to give up their 5 star accommodation in a lush Fijian hotel. 6 consecutive seasons in the one location IS NOT HELPING THINGS, especially if 5 of those 6 seasons have sucked!

Oowatanite
Enough already
Oowatanite
Enough already

July 11th, 2018, 4:45 pm #11

So, a day or two after the castaways returned, someone has heard 'rumours' from 'rumblings' of castaways of past seasons.  Really ??

The Very Insane Shark

July 11th, 2018, 5:16 pm #12

I'm hoping this is true, because I want to see the production darling returnees get their asses kicked by the newbies, who refuse to allow the returnees to run their games for them and thereby coast to the end.  And it would be absolutely hilarious if the new RI mechanic, obviously put in place to protect the returnees, completely backfired as it's been rumored.

One of the major reasons I enjoyed Second Chances so much is because Probst stacked the deck with his faves and they all flopped.  😂

LogicIsAlwaysTheAnswer

July 12th, 2018, 10:56 am #13

I still don't understand anybody's love for Kaoh Rong…. hated that season.
As for the vets getting taken out back to back....lets take a look as to why

David - (Known for big moves/being shady and weak in tribal challenges)
Aubry - (Weak in tribal challenges and a complete dork)
Joe - (This one puzzles me if he does go premerge considering he's great in challenges and also is loyal)
Kelley - (Complete bitch who's ego is through the roof thinking she's hot shit when she's completely overrated)

So yes I can understand 3 of them being premerge....I'll have to see why Joe gets premerge, still puzzles me.

BenjaminC95
BenjaminC95

July 12th, 2018, 12:02 pm #14

LogicIsAlwaysTheAnswer wrote: I still don't understand anybody's love for Kaoh Rong…. hated that season.
As for the vets getting taken out back to back....lets take a look as to why

David - (Known for big moves/being shady and weak in tribal challenges)
Aubry - (Weak in tribal challenges and a complete dork)
Joe - (This one puzzles me if he does go premerge considering he's great in challenges and also is loyal)
Kelley - (Complete bitch who's ego is through the roof thinking she's hot shit when she's completely overrated)

So yes I can understand 3 of them being premerge....I'll have to see why Joe gets premerge, still puzzles me.
The reason why Kaoh rong is regarded as a good season is because the premerge and merge has a lot of blindsides and dynamics

And also the cast in KR don't use an idol as a tool to maneuver

I get the reason why most people don't like the season because of Michele.However, KR still holds a record for being the only season that don't have anyone to play an idol and can successfully make moves after Tocantins

KR is really underrated

Torchflame
Torchflame

July 12th, 2018, 1:16 pm #15

I hope this is true, because they desperately need to revamp it.

At least do the following:

- New Location(so the title of the show is the new location and not some gimmick title).
- Reduce the amount of advantages/HII. At least to just one each, one advantage and one HII.
- Cast a more diverse group of people from around the country.

Designer Vagina
Designer Vagina

July 12th, 2018, 5:04 pm #16

Seems like Lynne was fired while filming was still happening. I can't believe they weren't decent enough to wait until filming wrapped and everyone was back in the US to sit her down.

Certainly seems plausible that Probst threw a tantrum on location because things were so bad.

tullfan3
tullfan3

July 12th, 2018, 8:39 pm #17

I really think that it is time to end the show.  Viewership is way down and the pool of new applicants declines each year because young people are not all that interested in an aging show that has been on the air for almost 20 years.  I don't know why production is unhappy with a contestant that was voted out winning the show.  I know that happened on at least one International version of Survivor and production would have been ecstatic if Ozzy (who had been voted out twice) would have gone on to win South Pacific.  He came up one challenge short from accomplishing that.

With Lynne, not being renewed, the final two seasons of Survivor would both be all returnee seasons which could be:

Season 39 - the best to not win; viewers select 10 men and 10 women from a pool of 16 to 20 for each gender
Season 40 - All Winners edition - gender balance not required (eg. cast could be 12 men and 8 women).

BrianHeidiksWeiner
BrianHeidiksWeiner

July 12th, 2018, 9:04 pm #18

tullfan3 wrote: I don't know why production is unhappy with a contestant that was voted out winning the show.  I know that happened on at least one International version of Survivor and production would have been ecstatic if Ozzy (who had been voted out twice) would have gone on to win South Pacific.  
That is a good question. I think it's because there are only 2 challenges throughout the entire run of Island of Extinction. Technically someone could be voted out on Day 3, choose to stay until Day 37, win the challenge on a fluke and come back in. If the jury is bitter enough, that person may just win.

UnanimousBB16
UnanimousBB16

July 12th, 2018, 9:09 pm #19

tullfan3 wrote: I really think that it is time to end the show.  Viewership is way down and the pool of new applicants declines each year because young people are not all that interested in an aging show that has been on the air for almost 20 years.  I don't know why production is unhappy with a contestant that was voted out winning the show.  I know that happened on at least one International version of Survivor and production would have been ecstatic if Ozzy (who had been voted out twice) would have gone on to win South Pacific.  He came up one challenge short from accomplishing that.

With Lynne, not being renewed, the final two seasons of Survivor would both be all returnee seasons which could be:

Season 39 - the best to not win; viewers select 10 men and 10 women from a pool of 16 to 20 for each gender
Season 40 - All Winners edition - gender balance not required (eg. cast could be 12 men and 8 women).
Maybe they should cancel it, but they are not going to. Survivor is still one of (if not) THE highest-rated reality shows ever to this day, and it's one of CBS' big money makers. 

There will  always be a group of people trying to cash-in to the Reality TV market, and what is better than Survivor? I am sure the lack of applicants is an issue (hell, they've done mostly applicants for the last 6-7 years now). And worst come to shove, just recruit insta/twitter-whores.

tullfan3
tullfan3

July 12th, 2018, 11:18 pm #20

BrianHeidiksWeiner wrote:
tullfan3 wrote: I don't know why production is unhappy with a contestant that was voted out winning the show.  I know that happened on at least one International version of Survivor and production would have been ecstatic if Ozzy (who had been voted out twice) would have gone on to win South Pacific.  
That is a good question. I think it's because there are only 2 challenges throughout the entire run of Island of Extinction. Technically someone could be voted out on Day 3, choose to stay until Day 37, win the challenge on a fluke and come back in. If the jury is bitter enough, that person may just win.
I think that is will work similarly to the 3  seasons that had Redemption island.  Just before the merge, the winner of the Extinction Island challenge will reenter the game and the rest will be eliminated from the game.  After the merger, each eliminated contestant will be sent to Extinction Island and will become a member of the jury until day 37 when the winner of the second Extinction Island challenge will reenter the game and the rest will be eliminated.