survivorjordancontestant

May 15th, 2018, 12:58 am #941

I just wanted to chime in and say that i'm so in love with Maddie's version of "I Told You So". It tones down the near torch-song over-wroughtness of Carrie's version and makes it sound like an understated, beautiful Bonnie Rait song. Why did it have to be this year that they didn't have studio recordings/itunes purchases?

GreenKnight03
GreenKnight03

May 15th, 2018, 1:48 am #942

Something I hadn't thought of is how different the finale will be on ABC v. FOX. Will there still be cheesy wannabe-hip coronation songs? I could see Maddie doing something similar to Angela Miller's "You Set Me Free."

HardEdge1980
HardEdge1980

May 15th, 2018, 3:29 am #943

I see a lot of people comparing this final three to Season 10 (Maddie/Haley, Gabby/Lauren, Caleb/Scotty), and I can see why, although Maddie and Haley are completely different music-wise and show-wise. It can even go further with the Top 5 where you have a Black male R&B singer (Michael/Jacob) and a rocker (Cade/James).

As for the current top 3, of the remaining Top 5, I would replace Caleb with Michael. Although Michael's enunciation drove me nuts from time to time, I prefer him over Caleb who is as vanilla as they come, who I knew wasn't going anywhere. At least Maddie made it and Cade didn't.

A couple of other thoughts:

LMFAO at the judges claiming to be more critical but going back to their praise everyone and everything ways. Katy was the only one to offer any sort of criticism (I loved it when she said Caleb was being outperformed by everyone). A couple of times Luke skipped his comments section; he has been a waste of a paycheck this season. Hopefully he and the others are better next season.

That live feed with Ryan talking to the judges was cringe-worthy, especially Ryan talking to Katy about being a mother. Considering that he has a sexual harrasment claim hanging over his head, that was just awkward.

Something I hadn't thought of is how different the finale will be on ABC v. FOX. Will there still be cheesy wannabe-hip coronation songs? I could see Maddie doing something similar to Angela Miller's "You Set Me Free."
If so, seeing that it's Disney, they will most likely be cheesier than the ones from FOX.

As for the rest of the finale, I'm curious how that will go. The finales on FOX were usually great spectacles. I wonder what ABC/Disney will do. Will they bring back the other finalists? If so, will it be the Top 10, or go all the way back to the Top 14? Will there be any special guests performing with the contestants? So many questions.

ZombieLinda
Enough already
ZombieLinda
Enough already

May 15th, 2018, 4:02 am #944

Shocked and happy Maddie broke through the seemingly obvious top 3. Her performances have been consistently beautiful and amazing, but I know she's probably too sleepy to win. Getting to the finale when most girls like her are easy fodder for early boots was probably the victory, unless she benefits from a country split.

The pessimist in me, and the person who has been watching this show all these years, knows Caleb likely wins. He's grown on me some, but not that much. There is something lacking in his presentation that makes me think he isn't a shoo in though. He doesn't seem to have the momentum behind him that even Scotty clearly had. Then again, I also thought Nick Fradiani was too random to win at the time *cue Melinda face*

The thing is there is a more viable alternative. The person with the momentum is Gabby, who is quite obviously the most marketable full package in the group, and her also being country (or even country adjacent) makes me more confident she can win over Caleb. I wasn't that impressed at first but have grown to respect her. She's always in good voice, is an entertaining performer, she has the buzz and fans on social media, she'd fit right in on a Disney-owned label, and I could see her having a decent career. She's the most likely to give the reboot legitimacy, so I feel like the network and production are behind her too.

Maddie is my sentimental fave but Gabby would be a very good winner.

KoiBito22
KoiBito22

May 15th, 2018, 7:52 am #945

Spanky Hot Dog wrote: top 3 group photo!

hmmm looks familiar....  

Yeah. Indeed the cast is is very similar with season10
Cade is James Dublin
Michael is the Jacob Lusk

Michelle the new Pia Toscano
Jurnee the new Naima or ashton
The.other.black is.Stefano
Ada vox.is Ashton or karen or.can be naima
Catie.is Thea.megia

suckshardcore
Enough already
suckshardcore
Enough already

May 15th, 2018, 9:44 am #946

ZombieLinda wrote: Then again, I also thought Nick Fradiani was too random to win at the time *cue Melinda face*

The thing is there is a more viable alternative. The person with the momentum is Gabby, who is quite obviously the most marketable full package in the group, and her also being country (or even country adjacent) makes me more confident she can win over Caleb. I wasn't that impressed at first but have grown to respect her. She's always in good voice, is an entertaining performer, she has the buzz and fans on social media, she'd fit right in on a Disney-owned label, and I could see her having a decent career. She's the most likely to give the reboot legitimacy, so I feel like the network and production are behind her too.

Maddie is my sentimental fave but Gabby would be a very good winner.
The Melinda face thing made me lol. Nick is by get the winner I just don't get. The other WGWG who I hate sure I get why the people went for them, Nick is a total wtf.

I agree with you on the points about Gabby, however what I found interesting about the last show is that they seemed to be behind a Maddie win. It made me wonder if maybe they really want to get away from the Country reputation where only men and Southern people can win and make Idol for everyone again but they are just having a hard time. Ideally I think they would have loved a Jurnee win but knew it wasn't going to happen. Gabby over Caleb would be a tiny step in a new direction, Maddie would be even bigger and if a non-white person could actually win again they may have done it.

JerseyJerk14
JerseyJerk14

May 15th, 2018, 3:00 pm #947

I don't get why Seacrest doesn't have one of the Kardashian/Jenners send out a tweet saying "OMG I'm so bummed Michael didn't make the finale but i'm so excited to see who win!" 

He's best friends with them and the exec producer of their show. Even just as a favor have 1 of them tweet once during the season and that could get another 500,000 eyes to the show at least. 

survivorjordancontestant

May 15th, 2018, 6:44 pm #948

I'm sure the Kardarshian/Jenner twitter feeds are heavily regulated and that Seacrest just doesn't really care enough. I wouldn't be surprised if he hasnt even had a chance to hang out with/talk to them considering how busy he is.

i want good tv
i want good tv

May 15th, 2018, 9:04 pm #949

I think people have to accept the fact that Caleb is winning.  This board seems to do this every season where people start saying maybe Porsha is winning or maybe Jena is winning or whatever female will win.  And they never do. I've done that too so I'm not judging anyone in particular, it's just an overall observation over the years. 

I honestly think Caleb could fart out the national anthem and he'd still win.  Producers have to pull a Season 12 to get a female to win.  As long as their are white guys, they will win. 

The only way I can see a female winning is because of the change of network and the day it airs.  Perhaps some of the hardcore WGWG fans from FOX haven't fully migrated to ABC or maybe some of them dropped Idol altogether. But I would still place bets on Caleb.  And he's not even that bad, honestly.  There have been way worse WGWGs.  

I would love a Gabby win and I will gladly apologize if I'm wrong but I don't see either woman winning.  

Benedict
Benedict

May 15th, 2018, 9:10 pm #950

I personally think Gabby is just as vanilla as Caleb... both proficient singers with good personality and good looking... but too white bread. I love Caleb's voice, but he's not going anywhere. Maddie should be the winner... I hope the vanilla frau vote for the other two is split in her favor.

i want good tv
i want good tv

May 15th, 2018, 9:19 pm #951

None of them are lighting my world on fire honestly.  I think I just prefer Gabby because she has a wider singing range (which I've always preferred in my female singers) and that she seems like she's hungry for the fame. 

I also think Gabby is somewhat marketable (I don't even know if it matters anymore).  I just think she has more personality, more charm, a better voice, great image.  That's why I'm rooting for her.  I want someone who will do something on the charts somewhere in a meaningful way. 

GreenKnight03
GreenKnight03

May 16th, 2018, 6:14 pm #952

I don't think Gabby will do anything post-show, mostly because of country radio's hatred of women. Kacey Musgraves can't get played even with fantastic album sales and critical success. Lauren Alaina only just got attention this past year, and she's been trucking it since 2011. I think it's unlikely most labels will stick it out that long with Gabby waiting for radio to allow her to be played/heard like Iovine did with Lauren. Caleb'll probably have an easy go of it. They have plenty of room for average to poor male singers in country these days thanks to the already mentioned blacklisting of women.

survivorjordancontestant

May 16th, 2018, 6:18 pm #953

Meh, Gabby's range is as useful to her as it was to Diana Degarmo, there's just no substance to her high notes. At the end of the day she's just a Carrie fan in a singing competition. Caleb on the other hand is a representation of how awful the voting base of this show is. I already consider Maddie the winner in my mind, right up there with Crystal Bowersox, LaPorsha and queen Haley Reinhart

i want good tv
i want good tv

May 16th, 2018, 7:04 pm #954

@GreenKnight03 - I forgot how sexist country radio is in America these days.  I guess Gabby will have a rough road ahead.  Perhaps she is better suited for pop radio, I dunno.

@survivorjordancontestant - I guess you really don't like Gabby that much.  Honestly, she wasn't even on my radar until the Whitney song. Out of the 3 left, I like her best.  But I still feel Jurnee was robbed and was the most "marketable" of the contestants.

I also want to say I still think Nick Jonas should be a judge on Idol.  He's smart, media savvy, and knowledgeable.  Get rid of Luke or Lionel and put my Nick Jonas on the panel.  He's also dreamy to look at.  😍😍😍  I hope he performs at the finale.  I'm very obsessed with Nick Jonas.  😜

survivorjordancontestant

May 16th, 2018, 7:24 pm #955

I guess I'm just very disappointed by Gabby that she barely went out of the country lane. Like the main thing she sang outside of it was "I Have Nothing" and that song has been done to death and os much better by so many other contestants.

It's similar to when Lauren Alaina would never give us a big belting high note because she was too scared even though everything she sang sounded like it was gearing up towards it.

nintenfan3424
Knucklehead McSpazatron
nintenfan3424
Knucklehead McSpazatron

May 18th, 2018, 9:47 pm #956

Hey, I live in Iowa and the local ABC affiliate has been giving a lot of love to Maddie by the way. A few of my friends went to her homecoming and the local news have been giving her a lot of attention including a post audition interview and LA updates. 

Have they said that they're going to freeze the lines for 3rd place on Sunday like on X Factor UK or are all 3 contestants going to be there on the last day? It looks like they've released the winner singles for all 3. 

SurvivorLDog93
Enough already
SurvivorLDog93
Enough already

May 19th, 2018, 7:08 am #957

SPOILER ALERT: The 3 coronation singles are posted in the Spoilers thread. Please do NOT discuss them here. 

SurvivorLDog93
Enough already
SurvivorLDog93
Enough already

May 19th, 2018, 11:52 pm #958

Imma have to miss Sunday night's 2-hour F3 performance show. Have at the thread, and I'll check in if time permits. 

I plan to be here Monday 9e/8c for the 2-hour Season Finale! 

Creeping Ivy
Creeping Ivy

May 20th, 2018, 4:27 am #959

SLD, I'd do PBP tomorrow night, except that strong to severe thunderstorms are forecast for tomorrow afternoon and evening; and when they hit, my satellite goes out.  So I can't be sure that I'd be able to follow along.

*doing anti-rain dance because I really hate thunderstorms*

Creeping Ivy
Creeping Ivy

May 21st, 2018, 12:12 am #960

OK, I will try to PBP here because it looks like the rain is out of here.  

Bobby Bones is back to mentor the top 3. Three songs from each tonight.  First are the coronation singles.  This is an overnight vote -- I believe they said until 8 am EST you can vote.  Usual restrictions on voting.  

Caleb is up first with "Johnny Cash Heart". Prior to the song, he discussed his weight loss with Bobby and mentioned the dog tags he wears in his dead relatives' memory.  (Groan and eye roll...those of you who follow the NASCAR thread in OT at all will know about the dead Hendricks and understand why.)

Lionel loved it and welcomed him to the charts. Katy said this may have been his weakest performance.  Luke wants to see him enjoying it and reminded him that he has 2 songs to go.

Text 1 to 21523 if you must.