I didn't say that or even imply that. 

Screerider
Enough already
Screerider
Enough already

11:16 PM - Mar 27, 2014 #1742

No, it was the guy above you:
NotGregBuis wrote:
The end of the series was incredible for those of us who watched the show properly, knew it was a character-driven drama.
It's just more of the usual call-out on the intelligence of those who didn't like the ending. Yes, 4 years later, people are still attacking the "haters" with this bullshit. Now that is something worth bitching about.

NotGregBuis
NotGregBuis

10:52 PM - Mar 29, 2014 #1743

Screerider wrote:
NotGregBuis wrote:
The end of the series was incredible for those of us who watched the show properly, knew it was a character-driven drama.
It's just more of the usual call-out on the intelligence of those who didn't like the ending. Yes, 4 years later, people are still attacking the "haters" with this bullshit. Now that is something worth bitching about.
It isn't an intelligence thing so much as a fundamental confusion. Someone doesn't have to be unintelligent to be confused. It's understandable that a lot of people went into Lost hooked on the monsters and magic island and the ghosts, and etc. mysteries. Some people watch Breaking Bad for the action or watch Survivor for the challenges and strategy talk. That's one way to watch the show. But the people who watched Lost for the characters were the ones watching it correctly, and who were satisfied by the perfection of the finale and ending, which wrapped all of these interlocking character-bits up well. I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth but the main confusion/complaint I've heard since the finale is that they "didn't answer enough!" (as an aside, they totally actually did answer everything answerable) which if this were a mystery show would be relevant. 

So I mean, my main point is that the clash comes from the divide between people who watched this piece of art about beloved characters and felt such strong emotion toward it, who went into the finale wondering what would happen to the characters and whether they'd have their closure, and the others who went into the finale hoping to find out why there were polar bears on a tropical island. 

Ok... the more I type this, the more it does seem like an condescending attack on intelligence type of thing. I guess you're right. The LOST finale is pearls before swine and if you didn't like it, you weren't watching the show on a deep enough level. Sorry, not sorry. 

If you think that is annoying, imagine watching some perfect piece of media for 6 years and having it capped with the most satisfying and climactic ending in TV history, and then for 4 years afterward, 95% of the people who watched it just keep repeating it as one of the worst finales ever. That is the actual annoying thing worth bitching about. 

dragoondaniel78
dragoondaniel78

1:24 AM - Mar 31, 2014 #1744

NotGregBuis wrote:
Screerider wrote:
NotGregBuis wrote:
It isn't an intelligence thing so much as a fundamental confusion. Someone doesn't have to be unintelligent to be confused. It's understandable that a lot of people went into Lost hooked on the monsters and magic island and the ghosts, and etc. mysteries. Some people watch Breaking Bad for the action or watch Survivor for the challenges and strategy talk. That's one way to watch the show. But the people who watched Lost for the characters were the ones watching it correctly, and who were satisfied by the perfection of the finale and ending, which wrapped all of these interlocking character-bits up well. I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth but the main confusion/complaint I've heard since the finale is that they "didn't answer enough!" (as an aside, they totally actually did answer everything answerable) which if this were a mystery show would be relevant. 

So I mean, my main point is that the clash comes from the divide between people who watched this piece of art about beloved characters and felt such strong emotion toward it, who went into the finale wondering what would happen to the characters and whether they'd have their closure, and the others who went into the finale hoping to find out why there were polar bears on a tropical island. 

Ok... the more I type this, the more it does seem like an condescending attack on intelligence type of thing. I guess you're right. The LOST finale is pearls before swine and if you didn't like it, you weren't watching the show on a deep enough level. Sorry, not sorry. 

If you think that is annoying, imagine watching some perfect piece of media for 6 years and having it capped with the most satisfying and climactic ending in TV history, and then for 4 years afterward, 95% of the people who watched it just keep repeating it as one of the worst finales ever. That is the actual annoying thing worth bitching about. 
I agree almost completely with what you said. gj, lol. 

Screerider
Enough already
Screerider
Enough already

12:38 AM - Apr 01, 2014 #1745

I only repeat it when I see someone repeatedly post that haters need to STFU. As if I wasn't already STFU'd. Don't keep telling me that shit is shinola. It's not going to change me mind, even 4 years later.

Antithesys
Gadabout

4:48 AM - Apr 01, 2014 #1746

if you didn't like it, you weren't watching the show on a deep enough level. Sorry, not sorry.
This is not something a Lost fan should ever say.

All of us -- and I mean 108% of us -- were clamoring for answers to the various open threads of the mythology before the finale. 0% of us were focused on the emotional aspect of the story (many of us were fully aware of the emotional aspect of how we felt about the show and that it was about to end, but that's different).

When the finale arrived and delivered an unheralded emotional wallop but very little technical resolution, we initially took it three ways.

The first way was anger from people who misinterpreted the ending to mean the characters had been dead the whole time. This was partly the fault of the writing, which didn't do a very good job of explaining the difference between the Island and the Sideways. In general, these people have been made to see the light by now, and no longer significantly factor.

The second way was anger from people who understood everything just fine, but resented that many questions were left unresolved. The feels didn't go over their heads, but they didn't want to give in to the emotion unless it was based on common sense.

The third way was a cathartic, moving, spiritual experience from people who just wanted the characters to be all right, who wanted the good guys to win, who wanted the end to wrap around to the beginning, and the music to swell, regardless of where the actual mythology narrative left off. They got all of that and felt super warm and happy and fuzzy. I was here.

In the immediate aftermath, the 2s and 3s got along just fine, and even ganged up on the 1s to try and knock some sense into them. But as time went on, it seems as though a kind of rift was created between the differing viewpoints.

When the Unsatisfieds maintained their position that the finale was a letdown, the Satisfieds felt threatened, even offended. When something makes you feel like that, you want to chase it. You may have a cognitive dissonance about it, and you may resist strongly any attempts to claim that what you felt was not build on a solid foundation. You may even conflate their position with the 1s' position, and just call them idiots who don't understand.

I was an immediate Satisfied, but right from the start acknowledged that there were nearly as many loose ends after the finale as there were before it. I decided that didn't matter as much in the context of the finale by itself. But I will note that I still have not gone back to rewatch the series since, and a large part of that is due to my knowledge that a lot of what I see would ultimately be meaningless and/or unresolved.

The Unsatisfieds should understand the reverse: that as with most things in life, Lost was about the journey, and the finale celebrated that. Though I've tempered my stance in the years since, how I felt *then* was real, and I will never forget or dismiss it. Just because the finale was missing some things doesn't mean that it didn't have a lot of greatness to offer.

I propose that the best position is one between 2 and 3: the ending made us all very happy and want to hug our cats, but it also left so many questions that we could have spent the whole time arguing over them and not be finished. Maybe we could do that instead of sniping at each other.

NotGregBuis
NotGregBuis

3:01 PM - Apr 01, 2014 #1747

Well my thing, though, is that so many of the questions that people say weren't answered *were* answered. I don't have any lingering questions about the show, at least not anything aside from silly unanswerable things like "how does magic work?". I've rewatched a few times since the show ended and it really gets better every time, and you catch things that you didn't every time. 

I agree with what you're saying, Anti, that the frustration from people like me is in part that I'm offended by the idea that this glorious thing I just saw could be so panned. That things like this 

are getting posted still, literally last night. Like I see that, and it's like if you woke up and saw a headline for "Worst movies of all time: Citizen Kane, The Dark Knight, Schindler's List" or something. There's a dissonance, but it's because I feel offended that there's this great piece of work, and it's so rich with some answers that have to be dug for, but it ended with this super-emotional and beautiful ending. And yet the vocal majority has not only dismissed it as terrible and in many cases ignored ever re-watching it, but they've been so awful that like they even convinced Darlton somehow that their ending was bad. I feel similarly about Seinfeld as well. Both shows have these perfect finales that encapsulate the spirit of the show completely, and they've been completely attacked since airing. It's bizarre to me.

NotGregBuis
NotGregBuis

3:12 PM - Apr 01, 2014 #1748

Double post

BoeschFan
Enough already
BoeschFan
Enough already

3:44 PM - Apr 01, 2014 #1749

You want to talk about legitimately awful endings? St. Elsewhere. Enough said.

Screerider
Enough already
Screerider
Enough already

4:23 PM - Apr 01, 2014 #1750

Oh the whining...

squashthebeef
Enough already
squashthebeef
Enough already

3:01 AM - Apr 05, 2014 #1751

Anti did NOT just say "cognitive dissonance", did he?

Fork
Fork

12:12 AM - Apr 26, 2014 #1752

Next, Jack comes out of the shower.

FeliciaM7
Enough already
FeliciaM7
Enough already

4:39 AM - May 23, 2014 #1753

May 23rd EST... 4 years since The End.

poisonedpotion
poisonedpotion

5:48 AM - May 27, 2014 #1754

I never knew SurvivorSucks had a Lost subforums in it!

I just recently finished watching Lost. I've heard about the show for quite some time now (through commercials while watching my favorite Survivor and then-favorite Amazing Race), and references from blogposts and TV recaps. Since I have recently discovered that I love watching series (than movies, bleh no character and thematic development :P), I was looking for a new one to watch. Tadaaaaa. Lost came in crashing to my island.

Of course the way I watched the show is different than all of you. You (and I'm jealous of this) subscribed week after week for six years, while I just simply binge-watched (duh I just caught up 2014). Hopefully my Lost experience is not far from the nirvana you all have felt.

Since the beginning I loved the characters, the flashbacks, the mysteries (A FRICKIN POLAR BEAR?!?!?!!!?!), the problems, and the twists and turns presented in Lost. The show was drastically different from anything I've watched.

Cast. We had a big cast on and off the island. I'm actually enjoying guessing which character will be featured in this episode. I also heh'd after seeing familiar extras (Dean Norris, the Suits guy, Mike Ross). I cared for every single one of them (well maybe except Libby and Mr. Eko lol I don't like them). I imagine your feels you people who watched and grew with Lost for six years. :')

Mysteries. I watched Lost because of two things: the stories of characters and how they evolved ANNNDDD the mysteries. And DAAAAAMMMMNNN. It was goooood! Every episode ended with a 'WHAT?!?!' moment and I'm pretty sure I've spent most of my pre-sleeping time thinking the how and why of things. The level of intelligence the writers of Lost is too damn high.

Some 2 months after (yes, it took me around TWO months to finish it, given busy school life), I finally finished all the six seasons. I cried a bit at the finale. My Lost experience is finally over, but it was worth it.

Finale thoughts:
- I knew before watching Lost that it had a divisive series finale. I was well aware of this so I carefully watch it finish.
- I loved the way it ended. I completely felt satisfied. I was happy that these characters came full circle.
- Regarding the unresolved mysteries: tbh I didn't care that much. This is how Lost is meant to be... full of mysteries and some you just have to not question.

tl;dr version: I LOVE LOST. HUHUHU ITS OVER ;_; AND IM JEALOUS IM FOUR YEARS LATE FROM THE GLOBAL PHENOMENON

FeliciaM7
Enough already
FeliciaM7
Enough already

6:49 AM - May 27, 2014 #1755

Finale thoughts:
- I knew before watching Lost that it had a divisive series finale. I was well aware of this so I carefully watch it finish.
- I loved the way it ended. I completely felt satisfied. I was happy that these characters came full circle.
- Regarding the unresolved mysteries: tbh I didn't care that much. This is how Lost is meant to be... full of mysteries and some you just have to not question.

tl;dr version: I LOVE LOST. HUHUHU ITS OVER ;_; AND IM JEALOUS IM FOUR YEARS LATE FROM THE GLOBAL PHENOMENON
That's how I felt. As far as unanswered questions, eh.. to me most were fun to discuss and come up with our own answers with all the info we had.
I'm not sure this is an unanswered question or a continuity problem, but the thing that bothered me most was not one of the bigger questions others had. Sayid and Nadia - in an earlier episode he told Danielle Nadia had died when in fact he was on the plane to go see her (which we found out in a later episode)! One could argue it was a sympathy tactic, but it could worked just as well to say she was someone he loved.

You didn't like Libby? lol
Eko - I did like him in the beginning but later on was glad he left. I think he's the only character I went from loving to indifference.
Going from disliking or indifference to loving - there were many.

Though we were divided after the finale, we were all hard core Lost fanatics for 6 years and enjoyed this forum. Too bad you missed it. : )

QualityBobby
Enough already
QualityBobby
Enough already

3:15 PM - May 27, 2014 #1756

Indeed. This forum was awesome while the show was running. People debating meaning and foreshadowing, the pre-show quiz, etc. This placed was filled with really good posters and really was the highlight of my Sucks life. Coming her the day of and the day after was really a good time.

managerr
Enough already
managerr
Enough already

3:05 AM - May 28, 2014 #1757

Entertainment Weekly did a retrospective on that show, and it came with a fan poll--looking back, most people liked it.  Maybe people will one day feel that about LOST.

But not today.  4 years later and I still think it was trash.  Not just the finale, but the last half of the last season.

Perhaps I wasn't watching it deep enough.  It's the same reasons that most of the Oscar nominated movies aren't commercial successes.  If that is the case, then the writers failed to deliver a conclusion that would have appropriately satisfied the majority of their audience.  You know, the same ones that they hooked in via explosions and mysteries.

Most of the actors are still alive, it's not too late for a LOST movie where they can retcon the last season!

FeliciaM7
Enough already
FeliciaM7
Enough already

5:43 AM - May 28, 2014 #1758

QualityBobby wrote:
Indeed. This forum was awesome while the show was running. People debating meaning and foreshadowing, the pre-show quiz, etc. This placed was filled with really good posters and really was the highlight of my Sucks life. Coming her the day of and the day after was really a good time.
Yeah. Lost ate my life and I bought the book.

Damn, I miss those quizzes!!

FeliciaM7
Enough already
FeliciaM7
Enough already

5:55 AM - May 28, 2014 #1759

managerr wrote:

Entertainment Weekly did a retrospective on that show, and it came with a fan poll--looking back, most people liked it.  Maybe people will one day feel that about LOST.

Most of the actors are still alive, it's not too late for a LOST movie where they can retcon the last season!
First line - I hope that happens.
Second - Aren't all the actors still alive? If you mean characters, not only were they all dead, but if you discount the church part, most of the characters are island dead as well: Boone, Shannon, Charlie, Libby, Ana Lucia, Eko, Michael, JULIET, Daniel, Sun, Jin, Sayid, Danielle, Alex, JACK and LOCKE. I'm sure I'm forgetting someone...

QualityBobby
Enough already
QualityBobby
Enough already

1:11 PM - May 28, 2014 #1760

Jacob.