Twilight Banner Tutorial

Post all fanart tutorials here. (Please save specific questions for the Fanart Help forum.)

Twilight Banner Tutorial

Starkiller
Vampire

11 Apr 2009, 20:15 #1

[color=ffff75]Okay so I was asked to write this tutorial a while a go for this Twilight banner:

In this tutorial I don't do anything fancy, but I said it was intermediate because I'm not going to full out explain each step. It's best that you have some knowledge of GIMP and/or Photoshop before doing this tutorial. Other than that, you should do fine. Also, I put the links to the resources, mainly textures, at the end of the tutorial.

Thanks and hope you enjoy. :)[/color]

Twilight Banner Tutorial
A Full Signature Tut

1. First, open GIMP. :P Duh. Jk.

2. Open a new Canvas with the dimensions of 600x200 pixels, a resolution of 100 dpi, and with a black background.

*Note: Make sure black is your background color before creating the new image.

3. After you have created your new image, then you want to go File>Open as Layers and open the image we're going to be working with.

4. Now you're going to want to scale the layer down so go Layer>Scale Layer. My settings were to set the Width to 533 pixels. This is what you should have after you scale the layer.

5. Next, move the layer so that Bella and Edward are both clearly visible on the image canvas, but also more off to the left hand side. This is where I moved mine.

6. Because this picture has black in between the focus of Bella and Edward and the rest of the background with the trees and text, I just took the Lasso tool and selected the background. Screencap

7. Then I just went Edit>Cut, and then Select>None. Screencap

8. Next, I wanted to enhance the image so I went to levels and set it to these settings:
Input: 10 1.19 224
Output: 0 255

9. Also, I wanted to sharpen it so I went Filters>Enhance>Sharpen and set the sharpen to 21.

10. Next, I opened the first texture and set it to the following settings:
Mode: Divide
Opacity: 33.7

11. Then I felt like doing some more enhancements on the focus image before I moved on any further so the first thing I did was bring out Edward's eyes more. First create a new layer, then zoom in 400%. Using the Fuzzy Circle brush (standard with GIMP from download) I scaled the brush down to 0.21 at 50% opacity and just generally brushed over his eyes with the color db6a05. Screencap of Brush Settings and Image Screencap

12. Then I set that layer, which I called eye color layer, to these settings:
Mode: Dodge
Opacity: 38.4

Screencap of Layers Panel

13. Next, I wanted to get rid of that white spot right next to Edward's face right below his hair. So I took the brush tool again, used black, and with the same brush only scaled to 1.41 I just brushed over that spot lightly trying not to get it in his face. Also, I set that layer to the mode Grain merge to try and make it look more like a lighting effect rather than just a cover up.

Before:

After:

14. Then I opened the next texture layer, just as I did the other one, and scaled it ( width was 600 pixels). Then I played with the curves. I'm sorry I can't give exactly what I did, but I did upload the settings which can be downloaded below. Make sure you save them in the curves folder found in the GIMP file. (If you want more help with that PM me.)

15. Then I set that texture layer to these settings:
Mode: Hard Light
Opacity: 29

16. I didn't like the red that resulted from that though, so I right clicked on the textures layer and went to add layer mask. Screencap

17. With the brush tool again, make sure your foreground color is black and then I started brushing on the layer mask around the area of Bella and Edward. Just play around with the size and opacity. I had my brush settings at:
Opacity: 54.5
Scale: 6.11

*Note: Originally I used a grunge brush for the layer mask so that it would help the grunge look. You don't have to, but it's nice to if you like little detail.

18. Then I added the third texture. Played with the curves (settings found below again) and set that layer to the following settings:
Mode: Addition
Opacity: 19.9

19. Then I opened the fourth textures layer. I didn't play with the curves this time so I just put it on these settings:
Mode: Overlay
Opacity: 81.6

20. Opened the next texture as layer and set it to these settings:
Mode: Subtract
Opacity: 17.6

21. Opened the next texture as layer and set it to these settings:
Mode: Difference
Opacity: 15.7

22. With the texture layer I just opened in step 21, I didn't like the harsh lines it created so I created another layer mask on the layer and brushed away those lines.

*Note: Again, here I used a grunge brush, but the results work fine with the circle brush, too.

Before:

After:

23. (Optional)Then I wanted to add more textures of my own, so I took one of my blood brushes and just brushed around with it a little in a new layer. Then I set that layer to these settings:
Mode: Grain merge
Opacity: 22.4

24. Next I opened the C4D and positioned it so that the red glow is just above Edward's head. Screencap

25. I didn't want the C4D to be so clear so I went Filters>Blur>Gaussian Blur and set it to 64 both horizontal and vertical.

26. Then I set the C4D layer to these settings:
Mode: Addition
Opacity: 22.4

27. I liked that effect a lot, but it unbalanced the image. So I just duplicated that C4D layer and went Layer>Transform>Flip Horizontally. Then I just dragged that flipped layer to the other side so that it was like mirror of the other.

Before flip:

After flip and move:

28. Then I opened the 8th texture as layer and put it on these settings:
Mode: Dodge
Opacity: 100

29. To wrap up the textures, I opened the 9th texture layer and set it below the focus image of Bella and Edward in the Layers Panel. Then I went Layer>Transform>Flip Horizontally, then moved it just a little to the left, and then set it for these settings:
Opacity: 39.2

*Note: Unless I said I moved the texture in the instructions, I did not move the layer. I just left them where they opened. The only layers I moved around with the textures and C4D was the C4D layer and the 9th texture layer added. Even with the texture in step 14, I scaled it, but I didn't move it after it was scaled.

30. The next thing I wanted to do was add more contrast. So I right clicked on the canvas itself and went Edit>Copy Visible. Screencap

31. Then go Edit>Paste and immediately go over the the Layer's panel and click the create new layer button. Screencap

32. Then with the new Copy Visible Layer (which is the exact same as your image just all in one layer), I played around with the color balance. (Again the color balance settings can be found below.)

This is what I got after my color balance:

33. With this color balance layer, I set it to these settings:
Mode: Overlay
Opacity: 72.1

34. Then I decided that I was done with enhancements and all that fun stuff, so I moved on to text. The main text, "T w i l i g h t", I used these font settings:
Font: Copperplate Gothic Light
Size: 46
Color: db6a05
Layer Mode: Dodge
Layer Opacity: 100

35. Then with that same color, I took some of my tiny text brushes and brushed around. I set that layer to these settings:
Opacity: 18.4

36. Finally, I added a border by going Select>All, then Edit>Stroke Selection. I made my border 6 pixels wide and black. Then I just added my watermark and was finished!!

My finished product:

My original:

Okay so yes...that was really long, but wait there's more!! Here are the resources:

Textures/C4D: (In order of use)
Texture 1
Texture 2
Texture 3
Texture 4
Texture 5
Texture 6
Texture 7
Texture 8
Texture 9

Curves Settings and Color Balance Setting:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=cec4 ... b9a8902bda

^Just click on that link, and then click on the files and you can download them. Once you save them to your computer (somewhere in your GIMP folder) then you can access them in GIMP. If you need more help, please feel free to PM me.
[color=ffff75]

Thanks again, hope you enjoyed. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me. :D

Done on GIMP 2.6 - Windows Vista

Senator Seth[/color]
<center>

[color=ffff75]^Click to Vote for a Winner!^[/color]</center>

ilaria
Fire Demon
ilaria
Fire Demon

12 Apr 2009, 13:04 #2

stunning tut as always,I will do it for sure
thanks a lot ;)

banners by me,avatar by xlozx
http://ilaria84.livejournal.com/

MidnightReign
Winchester

12 Apr 2009, 21:36 #3

This tutorial is amazing :D

I've started it but I can't get my curves because the files that i have downloaded don't work in Gimp for some reason but I'll try again! :)

Thanks Seth
&#9834;&#9835;&#9829;*Always Keep The Faith*&#9829;&#9835;&#9834;

DeviantART
LJ

Starkiller
Vampire

12 Apr 2009, 23:19 #4

x...H.I.M...X @ Apr 12 2009, 03:36 PM wrote: This tutorial is amazing :D

I've started it but I can't get my curves because the files that i have downloaded don't work in Gimp for some reason but I'll try again! :)

Thanks Seth
[color=ffff75]Yeah, let me know if you have issues with that. I'd like to get that part to work if possible. I really don't like how GIMP couldn't give me the specifics. :([/color]
<center>

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

13 Apr 2009, 00:50 #5

Hmmm...I think I'll have to give this one a shot...

I think I'll also go back and re-do the Harry Potter one you posted before...as I kinda screwed it up and skiped a whole bunch of steps :lol:
<center>

Springfield,IL
Prologue is up^CLICK^to read

Sig Clinic</center>LIMS R11 and 12 vote!

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

13 Apr 2009, 02:56 #6

Eeppp..I'm double posting :o

*Slaps own wrist*

Okay...I followed as exactly as I think is humanly posible...well...exept for my starter image :lol:

I loved this tut Seth...such a pretty result :wub:

I think I may try it with a different image though as my enhancement to the one i used here included converting it from it's original B&W...but I'm a sucker for punishment like that :P
<center>

Springfield,IL

Starkiller
Vampire

13 Apr 2009, 03:25 #7

[color=ffff75]Looks wonderful Jen. :) I'm glad you liked the tutorial. Where you able to get the curves and stuff to work all right or did you just do your own?[/color]
<center>

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

13 Apr 2009, 03:29 #8

I just did the curves on my own...I wanted it to work out a little lighter and a bit more Blue than yours had anyway :P

I'll give the DL a shot some other time...but I fear that may be too confussing for me :lol:..but I'll give it a shot too...one day...
<center>

Springfield,IL

Starkiller
Vampire

13 Apr 2009, 13:29 #9

[color=ffff75]No problem, I was just curious. :)[/color]
<center>

MidnightReign
Winchester

19 Apr 2009, 19:12 #10

Seth, the downloaded files are not working on my Gimp (2.6) :(

Help please :D

DeviantART
LJ

Starkiller
Vampire

19 Apr 2009, 20:32 #11

x...H.I.M...X @ Apr 19 2009, 01:12 PM wrote: Seth, the downloaded files are not working on my Gimp (2.6) :(

Help please :D
[color=ffff75]What kind operating system do you have; XP, Vista, OS X? I think I figured out how to get it to work, but it's different for each operating system.[/color]
<center>

MidnightReign
Winchester

21 Apr 2009, 10:47 #12

I have Vista :D

DeviantART
LJ

Starkiller
Vampire

23 Apr 2009, 03:46 #13

[color=ffff75]Okay so you go to the start button (or the windows symbol) then click on the item on the right hand side that should be your name. In that folder should be a folder called ".gimp-2.6" or whatever version of GIMP that you have. In that folder is a folder called "curves" and just save everything in there. :)

Start>*Folder with your name*>.gimp-2.6>curves[/color]
<center>

MidnightReign
Winchester

23 Apr 2009, 11:54 #14

*Hits her head*
:cry this still not working *sigh* :(

But I gave it a try but the out come was not exactly perfectly like yours :D

DeviantART
LJ

Starkiller
Vampire

26 Apr 2009, 16:14 #15

[color=ffff75]Hmm...yeah GIMP is just stupid that way and doesn't give me the numbers after I do it. :( I wish that it would so that I could do tutorials better. There probably is a way..I'll have to play around and see what I can come up with. I'm sorry it didn't turn out well in that regards, but to be honest that isn't too big of a part.

Your result looks wonderful xHIMx! I really like your placement of the C4D and the mixture of colors you got. I like how you got a rainbow assortment of colors, but they are all very dim and flow into one another, it's just kind of cool. :D[/color]
<center>