Tutorials Request

Post all fanart tutorials here. (Please save specific questions for the Fanart Help forum.)

Tutorials Request

Yoda
Fire Demon
Yoda
Fire Demon

27 Jul 2007, 15:44 #1

This thread is for requesting detailed explanations on how to achieve certain effects, coloring, text, etc. in fanart.

Please describe what you want the tutorial to be about. It would also be helpful to include what program you use.

(Any one on the site may write tutorials to answer requests. Please post them in this forum when you're done.)
<center></center>

Castiel's_Gal
Winchester

09 Oct 2007, 03:49 #2

I would like to know about how to make an image have a scratchy look overlayed.
I use photoshop 7.0
I love the effect, but I can't find textures to use, I want it to look scratchy and abit like old movies how they have the scratches through them I hope you understand what I mean. Thanks. B)
<center>

Deviant Art
I love Dean & Cass, no matter what!Keeper of '14' Dean's Leg Holster&#124; Dean's Leather Jacket&#124; His Bow Legs&#124; His Enochian sigil</center>

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

10 Oct 2007, 21:56 #3

There were some amazing scratchie textures posted by okey_dokey a few months ago.....

Here's a link to the thread...second post ;)
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Supernatura ... opic=17618

I'm not sure if they'll help you but they might, also i'm not sure how to add them in PS either :unsure:

Sorry, hope this helps a bit... :P
<center>

Springfield,IL
Prologue is up^CLICK^to read

Sig Clinic</center>LIMS R11 and 12 vote!

crazy4jared
Wendigo

10 Oct 2007, 22:14 #4

Hi! :wave

I was just wondering of it is possible to get this effect in gimp.

I love the way it looks like the eyes are glossy and Dean's skin is really smooth. It's like he's glowing! :lol:

I borrowed Saiyuki's entry for the Dean emotion challenge to show what I mean.

It's a beautiful result!

Castiel's_Gal
Winchester

11 Oct 2007, 06:15 #5

Saiyuki @ Oct 11 2007, 07:56 AM wrote: There were some amazing scratchie textures posted by okey_dokey a few months ago.....

Here's a link to the thread...second post ;)
http://z14.invisionfree.com/Supernatura ... opic=17618

I'm not sure if they'll help you but they might, also i'm not sure how to add them in PS either :unsure:

Sorry, hope this helps a bit... :P
Thanks I'll give it go B)
<center>

Deviant Art
I love Dean & Cass, no matter what!Keeper of '14' Dean's Leg Holster&#124; Dean's Leather Jacket&#124; His Bow Legs&#124; His Enochian sigil</center>

Starkiller
Vampire

11 Oct 2007, 23:00 #6

crazy4jared @ Oct 10 2007, 04:14 PM wrote: Hi! :wave

I love the way it looks like the eyes are glossy and Dean's skin is really smooth. It's like he's glowing! :lol:

It's a beautiful result!
Jessica Rae tells you how to do overall photo enhancement including eyes in this tutorial. It's a pretty handy tutorial that can be easily converted to GIMP.
<center>

[color=ffff75]^Click to Vote for a Winner!^[/color]</center>

crazy4jared
Wendigo

11 Oct 2007, 23:27 #7

^ Thanks Seth! :D

I'm gonna go and try it right now. :)

hobbleit
Highway Ghost
hobbleit
Highway Ghost

10 Dec 2007, 20:18 #8

can anyone tell e how to blend text into art.

Mine always stands out too much
<center>

2009 best artist and most contributed member
Fanart</center>

sweetie0704
Fire Demon

14 Dec 2007, 18:13 #9

hobbleit @ Dec 10 2007, 01:18 PM wrote: can anyone tell e how to blend text into art.

Mine always stands out too much
Gah! I know I found a tut that said something about this...I just can't remember where it was. I'll remember eventually. Anyways, what I do is to try and use colors that are in my piece and also, if I have any texture or coloring layers, I'll put my text under them. I'm gonna try and find that tut.

Here it is! Look under the Text section

Edited to fix the link ;)
<center>

<a target="_blank" href="http://z14.invisionfree.com/Supernatura ... 9&st=0">my fanart</a>
Sweetest Member 2008
</center>

hobbleit
Highway Ghost
hobbleit
Highway Ghost

19 Dec 2007, 10:44 #10

Thank you :hug:
<center>

2009 best artist and most contributed member
Fanart</center>

sweetie0704
Fire Demon

07 Jan 2008, 00:00 #11

hobbleit @ Dec 19 2007, 03:44 AM wrote: Thank you :hug:
You're welcome :D
<center>

<a target="_blank" href="http://z14.invisionfree.com/Supernatura ... 9&st=0">my fanart</a>
Sweetest Member 2008
</center>

The Wonderer
Bloody Mary
The Wonderer
Bloody Mary

19 Jun 2008, 15:31 #12

Does anyone know where I can get a tutorial on how to make banners. I mean the most basic of tutorials. I've got paintshop pro 9 (which I'm beginning to realise is something I a lot of people don't use). I don't understand layers, or anything....just confused.

Starkiller
Vampire

09 Aug 2008, 17:46 #13

PSP9 is a real pain in the graphics world. I know very few people that actually use it for web graphics just because of the fact that I believe it's a program that requires a lot more time to get used to and to actually make things in general.

Sorry to be of no help in that area, but I would suggest just downloading The GIMP. It doesn't take up a lot of memory space and it runs pretty good (I have some issues with it every now-and-again, but my computer's special...a lot like special needs). :) There should be a download button for the latest version, and after you download it then you can start. I strongly suggest that before you jump in head first with no idea, that you just try out some of the simple tutorials you can find here. Mina's blending tutorial is really good for beginners and there are some other tuts that can be found for GIMP here that are pretty easy to understand and will help you figure the program out a little more.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask or post for help in the Fanart Help forum. :D

P.S. Did I forget to mention, GIMP is absolutely free!! :D

P.S.S. Okay because I'm such a graphics freak, I'm sorry Wonder, but I had to sharpen your banner, if you don't want the sharpened version, that's perfectly okay, but I just saw it and I had to do something (as I said...graphics freak).

Let me know if you use it and if you save it to your computer so that I can get it off my photobucket. :)
<center>

[color=ffff75]^Click to Vote for a Winner!^[/color]</center>

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

09 Aug 2008, 17:54 #14

Senator Seth of the UGS @ Oct 12 2007, 12:00 AM wrote:
crazy4jared @ Oct 10 2007, 04:14 PM wrote: Hi!&nbsp; :wave

I love the way it looks like the eyes are glossy and Dean's skin is really smooth. It's like he's glowing!&nbsp; :lol:

It's a beautiful result!
Jessica Rae tells you how to do overall photo enhancement including eyes in this tutorial. It's a pretty handy tutorial that can be easily converted to GIMP.
Aww I never saw this :blush....
I now have my very own Gimp based tutorial to show you exactly how i do this ;)....just incase the PS one didn't help you out already ;)..I think my one could be converted to PS too :P

>>Linky McLink<<
<center>

Springfield,IL
Prologue is up^CLICK^to read

Sig Clinic</center>LIMS R11 and 12 vote!

Little_Red_Cap
Woman in White
Little_Red_Cap
Woman in White

07 Oct 2008, 17:32 #15

Can someone help me find a really basic tutorial for doing interesting things with text?

And I mean, step by step, Gimp text for dummies :P I'm just starting out and I can do text, but I can't make it look blended, or do anything interesting with it. :stupidme I'm just starting out with GIMP.

Thank you so much to hobbleit for the awesome banner^^!!!