Screencapping sofware?

Old threads about fanart questions and issues can be found here.

Screencapping sofware?

Cinca
Shtriga
Cinca
Shtriga

18 Nov 2009, 10:19 #1

Hope it's the right place to post this.

Anyone knows a good screencap program that can also cap frame by frame and makes decent quality caps? (meaning not blurry, pixelized caps) Also if it could cap the comp screen, or desktop better said it would be awesome. :)

And free besides Kmplayer I used to use?

Edit: whoops, sorry for the typo in the title, it's just not my day.

fandrea

~*Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.*~ Tsuyukami, Natsume Yuujinchou

~*There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world, there is only the inevitable.*~ Yuuko Ichihara, Xxxholic

Starkiller
Vampire

18 Nov 2009, 16:09 #2

[color=ffff75]Well...I don't know of a program solely for the purpose of capturing screencaps, but I know that GIMP does take screencaps and computer screenshots. To take a screencap with GIMP, all you have to do is open up the media you'd like to cap; open up GIMP; go File>Create>Screen Shot; then select the settings best for what you need, and then you have a screencap or whatever. You'll have to go frame-by-frame yourself I'm afraid, that's one of the down sides to taking your own screencaps.

There may be a program out there that can do it for you, but I have not heard of it. Maybe PM kittsbud and ask her how she got the screencaps for here (.tv). She might know of a program for you.

Hope that helps you, let me know if you have any questions. :)

Seth

P.S. This is the method that Sai uses to make her animations, which I consider to be pretty high quality.[/color]
<center>

[color=ffff75]^Click to Vote for a Winner!^[/color]</center>

Cinca
Shtriga
Cinca
Shtriga

18 Nov 2009, 17:13 #3

It works, thanks, I could cap my Gimp. ^_^

I normally use a seperate program for video capping though, Kmplayer could cap frame by frame and it was pretty good, but I had virus problems during summer and I had to remove it and when I reinstalled it acted up, heck even Gimp crashes often, I pay attention to save the xcf after I have a base. It also played formats other players didn't. But I can't cap a DVD with it, only with Powerdvd (I even capped the S1 menu with that one, my moms PC has it, but I am not using that comp often), which makes better caps, but it only caps manually by pressing C and often has the wrong scale and I have to resize.

And I kinda have another problem with animations, a quality problem actually. I can do animated icons of shots ok, but if I would want to make it any bigger, it almost looks like a moving blob of colors. I tried to make effects, like glowing (one of alena's icons has that one) I got it right, but instead of glowing it was simply well how can I say it... the text was "fattening" up. I tried to look it up, but people said it can't be helped, just see which of the index modes looks the best. Can I do anything about this? I have the settings to start with 100 DPI.

fandrea

~*Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.*~ Tsuyukami, Natsume Yuujinchou

~*There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world, there is only the inevitable.*~ Yuuko Ichihara, Xxxholic

AssasinXXX

26 Nov 2009, 10:01 #4

for frame by frame screencap i use Virtual Dub
you can also use it to make gif
you can select a start time and end time and it will cap every frame in between
it's really small and free and has heaps of features