Is Dean The Heart Of The Show Or...

Post all general show talk here! | News | Media |

Is Dean The Heart Of The Show Or...

hansolo
Woman in White
hansolo
Woman in White

06 Aug 2014, 02:09 #1

I find that most fans feel that Dean is the heart of the show because of his CONSISTENT blue collar, fight-on mentality and commitment to family and hunting.

I feel that Sam has never been developed past being the sidekick. The sidekick is dominated physically and psychologically by the lead (Dean), victimized by the bad guys (manipulated into hunting with the death of girlfriend, possessed by the devil, left without a soul) and is left with dialogue that reacts to the decisions and opinions of the lead (Dean).

I don't think this imbalance was the intent of the writers, in the beginning, but has persisted over the years. I find most fans gravitate to Jensen over Jared and I think this tendency is unfortunate because you can only act with what is written on the page. Jared seems to have more interest continuing the series than Jensen perhaps because of professional options, but it really has not been a fair fight.
Thoughts?
Two brothers, backs against the wall, fighting for family and for each other- set against a world of evil where danger lurks everywhere and only their guns, their Impala and their 70's rock give them the strength to fight on!

Lamarquise
Wendigo

17 Dec 2014, 09:15 #2

I think it's simple. I think Dean is more likeable and Jensen is...well...one heck of an actor imo. I think the writers have always focused on Sam to his detriment, giving him all the myth arc material. They've done a very poor job of managing the leads and by doing so have put them in competition with each other for viewer sympathy. It was possible; I liked both brothers through the first couple of seasons despite their flaws. But then they began making excuses for Sam and not fully playing out the consequences of his decisions and making Dean out to be the one who always has to learn to be more supportive of Sam while Sam continued to make very poor choices and be a jerk and be put upon imo. (And then there was the Soulless Sam and other nonsense; what were they thinking?) I disagree...I think Dean was played as the support character. Sam was supposed to be the one we really felt for. But he wasn't well written, and while neither brother was allowed to learn and develop and overcome their hangups, Sam's were more ugly than Dean's imo. Sam is more arrogant and cold and...when not well-written...he comes across as whiny and uncaring and entitled imo. He has his agenda and he just goes after it with this tunnel vision and little consideration for those around him. The writers have done a lot of stupid things with him that just make him look like a jerk. If I'd had it to write, I would have taken a very different tack from the start of Season 5 and somewhat before. But Sam couldn't have remained unchanged. He'd have had to change, do some soul searching, and start facing his issues and becoming more humble and personable. He'd have to look at and start changing the aspects of his nature that keep leading him into trouble. That's not the direction TPTB evidently wanted to go.

jane 15
Advanced Member
jane 15
Advanced Member

17 Dec 2014, 21:20 #3

Lamarquise @ Dec 17 2014, 09:15 AM wrote: I think it's simple. I think Dean is more likeable and Jensen is...well...one heck of an actor imo. I think the writers have always focused on Sam to his detriment, giving him all the myth arc material. They've done a very poor job of managing the leads and by doing so have put them in competition with each other for viewer sympathy. It was possible; I liked both brothers through the first couple of seasons despite their flaws. But then they began making excuses for Sam and not fully playing out the consequences of his decisions and making Dean out to be the one who always has to learn to be more supportive of Sam while Sam continued to make very poor choices and  be a jerk and be put upon imo. (And then there was the Soulless Sam and other nonsense; what were they thinking?) I disagree...I think Dean was played as the support character. Sam was supposed to be the one we really felt for. But he wasn't well written, and while neither brother was allowed to learn and develop and overcome their hangups, Sam's were more ugly than Dean's imo. Sam is more arrogant and cold and...when not well-written...he comes across as whiny and uncaring and entitled. He has his agenda and he just goes after it with this tunnel vision and little consideration for those around him. The writers have done a lot of stupid things with him that just make him look like a jerk. If I'd had it to write, I would have taken a very different tack from the start of Season 5 and somewhat before. But Sam couldn't have remained unchanged. He'd have had to change, do some soul searching, and start facing his issues and becoming more humble and personable. He'd have to look at and start changing the aspects of his nature that keep leading him into trouble. That's not the direction TPTB evidently wanted to go.

I totally disagree with you but never mind.

For me, for the first 3 seasons, they were both leads, were both involved in the story. Sometimes there was a dean centric episode, sometimes, it was a sam centric episode but most of the time, they were both the heart of the show.
But everything changed in season 4 because the writers chose to hide the demon blood addiction for most of the season and by doing so, they gave the POV and the interactions to Dean to hide what Sam was feeling and they never came back from it. From then, we could always relate to Dean, knew how is was feeling and he became the heart of the show.
For the last 6 seasons, we never get Sam POV so we can only guess and make our own interpretation. When was the last Sam centric episode ?
Add to that that Dean is the fun and sarcastic one so he is easier to write, our dear writers are taking the easy way.

Jared and Jensen are both very good actors. Unfortunately for Jared, lately, he doesn't get much lines, action or stories to give us.

Lamarquise
Wendigo

18 Dec 2014, 18:56 #4

It's not a "hate letter" to Sam. I hate what they did with a character I initially liked. It's my honest evaluation. In real life, if I watched him later in the show I'd think selfish and arrogant. He's a bit of a Gary Stu, and the showrunners' attempts to hype him at what I perceived as the expense of other characters finally got too aggravating for me to enjoy the show. That's clearly not all there is to him and it need not have gotten to that point. As I said, I think the writers and showrunners did the character a great disservice in the way they portrayed him. He's always the "special" one and Dean is always expected to have his back no often how Sam betrays him or how hypocritical Sam can be in his expectations of Dean. I think making Sam the center of so many myth arcs and treating Dean pretty much as a hanger-on was a recipe for trouble...and yes I think the way they did all that cost Sam as a character both in terms of credibility and ability to relate to the character on a personal and human level. I think Sam has been badly served by the writing. I would have tried to write him in a more sympathetic manner (with more insight into himself and others), put his problems on a more personal level, and make his thought processes and internal debate about what he was doing clearer. I would have tried to balance things so both brothers had to deal with the mythical stuff at times, there was a lot less mythical nonsense, better defined and better portrayed bad guys and better developed myth arcs, and more suspense and urban legends.

I think audience response to the last couple of seasons convinced the showrunners that they couldn't continue to try to hype Sam at Dean's expense or sideline Dean. I haven't really watched since season 6 (though I have followed some of the plot lines), but I seriously doubt Sam hasn't had the POV plenty...in fact most of the time. Wasn't he the center of the whole "trials" nonsense?

mc2
Vampire
mc2
Vampire

18 Dec 2014, 22:49 #5

What I don't understand is why, after 10 years, are people still trying to compare Dean & Sam or Jared and Jensen? Who was underdeveloped or given a pass or who is the better actor or the heart of the show or the sidekick is completely subjective. No one is right or wrong - its just a matter of opinion.
avi courtesy of the amazing janglyjewles

"A real hero is when you're there for your friends and family" ~ Jared Padalecki

Don't be distracted by what others think you should be.

My motto is - I can run faster scared than they can pissed. ~ Jared Padalecki

"Sweet Lord.... of the Rings."