Graphics Cafe

Are you great with banners or avatars? Then let's see them!
| Artist Showcase | Help | Help Archive | Tutorials

Graphics Cafe

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

06 Feb 2008, 14:38 #1

This thread is based partly on Penguita38's Writers Cafe and Partly on Senator Seth of the UGS's thread...well what it used to be and a recent suggestion from jabukaraki and sweetie0704 :P

A Graphics appreciation thread...for Graphic artists and their groupies :lol:

Anyway...this is a thread to post samples of your work you're perhaps not too sure about and get honest critique and hopefully advice from other artists about it.
how to improve it or just which parts are working and which are not.

Anyone is welcome to voice their opinions, it is an open discussion. you don't even have to be an artist to let someone know how their work looks ;)

It is all constructive, no bashing. :)

I hope this thread becomes helpful for the development of everyones artistic skills in banner making and even walls and avatars ^_^

...or generally a fun place to chat about graphics designing, and how much we love it! :P

~Sai~
<center>

Springfield,IL
Prologue is up^CLICK^to read

Sig Clinic</center>LIMS R11 and 12 vote!

Kitty Michaels
Wendigo

06 Feb 2008, 14:42 #2

I remember these way back when... I'd show my stuff- people would be embarrassed for me. I'd be embarrassed for me... good times.

So if it's ANY artwork then I could in theory post designs I plan to do for comission?

But since we're on the subject

I just did that right? Okay so here's the thing, I went with a cut board style because I figured it would differ the idea I had to use the same concept for sammy as I did the guitar however without the cut outs I think it would it look choppy? Does anyone else agree with me?

I also think that the brush in the corner could have been better and that I made Sammy too big but I wanted him to be the centre so I tried to keep the image size to only be shrunk to as it at 72 dpi...

So I'm thinking redo the whole thing with moving the electric lines so that go left to right from sammy and out- and then; resize sammy, change the bottom brush, and shrink the heart...

Yes/No or trash the whole thing because it sucks?

I kinda also like option 3 but I have an appointment in an hour so...

I also would like to apologise in advanced for being the most likely to use this thread because a: 99% of everything I make I hate immediately upon posting it, b: because I love talking graphics, and c: because I love picking apart artwork.
Sig und Avatar by Kitty Michaels

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

06 Feb 2008, 22:45 #3

Yay...the thread is already in use :P

Okay i say don't trash the whole thing ;)

I love the lines and shapes and colours but...

I'm not too keen on the bright green tiny text (brush?) you've placed in the bottom left corner
...also the right side of the entire peice is...just black..I think you need to put something, like the lines across the top, along the right hand side..to balance out the composition ;)

There are also a couple of edges that look a little over sharpened..I'd know..I do that all the time :rolleyes:
Just soften off those edges with a blur tool :D
<center>

Springfield,IL
Prologue is up^CLICK^to read

Sig Clinic</center>LIMS R11 and 12 vote!

Castiel's_Gal
Winchester

06 Feb 2008, 22:45 #4

I don't have any issue's with your art, although I do understand what you mean about hating your own art as soon as you post it. I think your not an artist if there wasn't a part of you that hated something that you did.
That's why I think this thread is a great idea Sai :clap

I have dial-up and when it was loading I didn't like the bright lines on the side, however when the whole thing opened I absolutly got what you were trying to achieve and you have done that.
I think you should leave Sam the way he is, his composition in the image is great and very effective.
Which brush in the corner? the yellow one? I do agree with you on that one though... it doesn't have the same feel as the rest of it like maybe that corner needs more of a flow through effect if you get what I mean.

I hope that helps you :D
<center>

Deviant Art
I love Dean & Cass, no matter what!Keeper of '14' Dean's Leg Holster&#124; Dean's Leather Jacket&#124; His Bow Legs&#124; His Enochian sigil</center>

Kitty Michaels
Wendigo

06 Feb 2008, 23:29 #5

Saiyuki @ Feb 6 2008, 11:45 PM wrote: Yay...the thread is already in use :P

Okay i say don't trash the whole thing ;)

I love the lines and shapes and colours but...

I'm not too keen on the bright green tiny text (brush?) you've placed in the bottom left corner
...also the right side of the entire peice is...just black..I think you need to put something, like the lines across the top, along the right hand side..to balance out the composition ;)

There are also a couple of edges that look a little over sharpened..I'd know..I do that all the time :rolleyes:
Just soften off those edges with a blur tool :D
I didn't sharpen anything :P

Wanna learn a trick though?

If you have CS3- filter- render- high pass.

----

and as for balance- see the thing is- I don't balance when I'm doing weird things like that. I totally agree about the green brush though and yea, Dean's Gal I mean that one.

KentaWolf
Advanced Member
KentaWolf
Advanced Member

07 Feb 2008, 00:47 #6

I think the cut-out could benefit from a more "torn-pages" sketchy cut. More angles.

I like the rainbow lines where they are, as they lend movement toward Sammy in the center.

Did you want the text slightly off-center? At present it is not centered.

Kitty Michaels
Wendigo

07 Feb 2008, 00:51 #7

Ja, I wanted it off centre. Because it's not meant for reading ideally. I like to add text like it's an afterthought almost. I'm not too big on it. So normally it's either almost invisible or half gone.

Starkiller
Vampire

08 Feb 2008, 23:42 #8

Oh yay...a graphic critique thread. Very cool. :)

First, amma, I like your piece, it's something unique. However, I do have a few minor issues with it. One is as mentioned before, the green tiny text brush to the bottom left. I don't think it goes with they style of the design. Also, the text to the left a little above the middle of the picture, it doesn't fit either...or it kind of fits, but I don't like how it kind of distracts to person looking at it because they want to read it, but they can't and it seems to be random text. Finally, I would say that your concept of the "cut out" Sam should match everything else. You have your pictures of Sam looking some what monotone and smooth, the rest of your composition should match that feel because that's the focus. Your rainbow colors just seem to cut through that feel...except for the red-ish strip which goes well with the feel.

Okay well here is mine.
<center>

[color=ffff75]^Click to Vote for a Winner!^[/color]</center>

Kitty Michaels
Wendigo

09 Feb 2008, 04:53 #9

Okay Seth- I'll happily tell you what I think of it.

The blending is very nice, and clean and text you have going down seem to fits well. However, the brushes/texture surronding it is a bit though is dirty looking I think to a small extent... but that's not really a bad thing, it's just with his face like the way it is, it has an odd feel to it. His face is propbably too light for it, so that I would just darken a bit... and the text on the side of the bar isn't clear as you seem to like clearer text you might fix that.

I personally would leave it though the way it is myself with the exception of the face more so on the first then the 2nd.

Starkiller
Vampire

09 Feb 2008, 06:16 #10

I totally see what you mean now that you point it out. :) Thanks for your input. I'll go back tomorrow and see what I can do about the lighting issue, which I agree is probably the most serious issue. :D
<center>

Starkiller
Vampire

09 Feb 2008, 20:04 #11

Okay so here is the new one with the improvements you suggested. (Or I should say that I just worked on the lighting like you suggested, I kind of like the text the way it is at the moment. I might come back to it at some time.)

<center>

Kitty Michaels
Wendigo

09 Feb 2008, 20:54 #12

That's much better, its not a lot but it certainly makes his face look less in the lime light.

KentaWolf
Advanced Member
KentaWolf
Advanced Member

15 Feb 2008, 07:26 #13

Nice gritty feel!

I'm going to do a mini-excursion into super nit-picki-ness, Senator Seth.

On the right side of the image, at the level of Dean's hip, there seems to be a texture seam from the brush-cut-off. (green-to-warm tone cut)

Also, the light border around the text's strip needs some anti-aliasing...it has a coarse appearance, jaggetty edge. Perhaps soften it?

Also, the light border at the top of the text box I think the pic can do without. That way the text box comes in more fluidly, and fits into a more "background" hierarchy.

Starkiller
Vampire

16 Feb 2008, 15:30 #14

Thank you for your comments Kenta. :) I'll keep them in mind for my future works. It's a little late to go back and edit the Dean wall. I do see what you mean in all of your points though. :)
<center>

Supernatural4life
Advanced Member
Supernatural4life
Advanced Member

17 Feb 2008, 20:37 #15

can you guys tell me how these look.

thanks