Gimp Laso Tool Thinger

Old threads about fanart questions and issues can be found here.

Gimp Laso Tool Thinger

Little_Red_Cap
Woman in White
Little_Red_Cap
Woman in White

10 May 2010, 22:24 #1

I used to use Gimp all the time, but now I've got the newest (at least I think it's the newest version) and I'm a little confused. Before it used to have the laso tool like thing. You could select an area and then hit cut and that area would disappear showing the layer beneath it... it doesn't seem to work that way anymore. Now when I use cut, the other lay gets cut too.

How do I make it work like it used to?

Thank you so much to hobbleit for the awesome banner^^!!!

Starkiller
Vampire

10 May 2010, 22:49 #2

[color=ffff75]Awww...yes, this problem. It's quite a complaint amongst GIMP users that switch from the older version of GIMP to GIMP 2.6, and the solution is kind of complicated.

The easiest, and by far the most effective means, of fixing the problem, is to learn a new way of cutting away objects from your image. I strongly suggest Layer Masks, they're 100x easier and 500x more efficient. To add a layer mask to a layer, simply right click on the layer in the layers panel, and go down to "Add Layer Mask...". Then, in order to take things away from your layer, go over to your brush tool, and make sure your foreground color is set to black, then brush away on the layer. The amazing thing about layer masks is that the don't actually erase anything, they just "cover them up" so to speak. To reveal what you just "hid away" switch your foreground color to white, and brush over the area again. :) This is a really useful tool, and definitely worth trying to figure out, imo.

Now, if you don't want to go with Layer Masks...which I strongly suggest you at least try to, then here's the other way you can fix the problem:

Before you use the lasso tool on the layer, right click on the layer in the layer panel, and scroll down and select "Add Alpha Channel" This should solve your problem. After that, you can cut on the layer like normal. :)

Luke[/color]
<center>

[color=ffff75]^Click to Vote for a Winner!^[/color]</center>

Little_Red_Cap
Woman in White
Little_Red_Cap
Woman in White

17 May 2010, 21:20 #3

Thank you so much Skywalker (ps love your name, huge star wars fan :wub: )

I'm loading up gimp to try out the whole layer mask thing now. Thanks again, you've been really helpful!!!!!

EDIT: omg the layer mask this is so useful! I can't believe I wasn't doing this before! Thank you so much!!

Thank you so much to hobbleit for the awesome banner^^!!!

Starkiller
Vampire

17 May 2010, 22:15 #4

[color=ffff75]Glad to be of assistance. :)[/color]
<center>

[color=ffff75]^Click to Vote for a Winner!^[/color]</center>