Do You Think This Season Is A Lackluster So Far?

Discuss Season 10 as it airs in the U.S. NO SPOILERS in this Forum Please.

Do You Think This Season Is A Lackluster So Far?

LiamWolf

13 Dec 2014, 23:52 #1

I mean come on. Even season 6 had a lot interesting things going on by episode 9.

My problem with this season is that I don't think they know where they want to go.
Demon Dean was interesting but they ended that in 3 episodes.
Cole was also interesting but they ended that by episode 7 and I don't think they'll be going back to that.

The stand-alone episodes are not good either. We just had 2 bad episodes in a row. It looks like aside from Ask Jeeves, every stand-alone episode is about a returning female character.

It seems like Supernatural is just concerned with appeasing its feminist viewers now rather than coming up with an interesting story-line.
I don't blame them. The angel vs demon storylines in seasons 4 and 5 is very hard to top.

vinumlocutumest
Advanced Member
vinumlocutumest
Advanced Member

16 Dec 2014, 01:26 #2

I'm enjoying this season so far. I like that they have developed some characters that had stagnated to the point of ridiculous.
A couple of seasons ago I was complaining about the predictability of Castiel's actions and his innate ability to always make the wrong decision. It was so enervating! I wanted him to grow some brains and mature, and finally, this season I get to see a new Castiel so , in that sense, I'm satisfied.

I hated when the writers decided to use Metatron to accelerate the process of maturity in Castiel but I'm happy that they remembered that change the had introduced in the character to create a moment in the last episode. It's good that they've started to give importance to continuity. It was a major complaint last season, and it seems that they took good note of it.

I don't like it when they change the lore and I hope they stop that, no more hippy vampires, please. It was a really dumb idea IMO.

I wanted Dean to have his own story, to be as important as Sam. This season is focused on him, so I'm quite pleased. The problem is that I've got this feeling that everything is happening behind the curtains, where I don't have any access to and it's difficult to speculate when so little detail is given. It's frustrating :bang

After Bobby's and Kevin's deaths, I wanted some regulars to fill those slots and so far we've been given Jody and Donna - whom I like and hope stay around, but for something more than stand-alone episodes. I'd like to have them blend in the story, not to be used as fillers.

I wanted a big baddie after last season's massive letdown - Metatron, that stupid clown - , I was hoping that they'd do something with Crowley or they'd introduce a new villain, and I found that the King of Hell has decided to spend some quality time with his mother to catch up for all those lost years. I don't know where the show wants to take us, but i'd better be a very dark and twisted place because these mushy-mushy demons are just plain pathetic.

And then comes Sam. I wanted Sam to make up his mind for once and for all. And it seems that he's decided he's going to stay with his brother and watch over him so that Dean doesn't go all berserk with MOC. Ok, nice change of roles, it was time Sam took some responsibilities and stopped giving certain things for granted. The only problem is I don't know if when they recovered his soul they left his stream of consciousness back in the cage, because I can't figure out what the hell is crossing his mind. I suppose he's worried about his brother, but only because of the despaired look he gives every time he thinks Dean is not looking.

The idea of having regulars was also so Sam and Dean could voice their concerns and obsessions by telling somebody else. Dean had used Bobby and Castiel for this, but Sam seems unable to find somebody he can confide in. He makes a good pair with Jody, but still Moose won't talk to her or anybody. And we're talking about the nerdy hunter, the bookworm who was studying to become a lawyer. Come on, Sam has always known his way with words! This lack of words is creeping me out, really. What did they pull out of the cage? Is there anything we haven't been told? :unsure:

I don't hate this season. As I said, I'm enjoying it enough to watch the episodes but I remember when I couldn't stop speculating with my friends over what would happen next. And this season I'm missing the nail-biting element. It's a sci-fi/terror/drama/comedyish show and some tasty ingredients are missing this season. I hope they fix this before the end of the season. I'd really love for Supernatural to get its grip back.

jane 15
Advanced Member
jane 15
Advanced Member

16 Dec 2014, 10:35 #3

I am very upset about the show this lat 3 seasons.
The only episode worth it this season for me is "ask Jeeves". The reason is that in this episode, Sam and Dean are the hunters saving the day.
In on all the others episodes, they are supporting characters for the guest stars. And that's very sad. Even in the 200th ep, teenagers had to save them ! What a waste.

- The MOC storyline for Dean could work if they took the pain to treat it and not save it for the last minute of the mid-season final. I never liked a depressed Dean, I prefer the careless, joyful Dean of earlier seasons, even if deep down, he was hiding his pain.
Vinumlocutumest, I disagree with you when you say, you wanted Dean to be as important as Sam for a long time because Dean has been more important than Sam for ages now. He has the lines, the screentime, the POV, the interactions with other characters, most of the time he saves the day, he is more clever. I never saw where he lacked storyline.
Demon Dean was a deception. If they took this road, I was hoping to see a real dark demon. Instead, it became a joke. Are they so afraid to see Dean as the antihero ?Deanmon was pathetic and I was happy to see him gone.

- Sam who ? He is a shadow: no storyline, no POV, no nothing, he is dumb, can't fight. For any new viewer who hasn't watch the pilot, it would be hard to guess, he was at Standford, let alone going farer than preschool. I think the writers are just lazy because this character is harder to write, so they let down. How could he let Cole get his hands on him, not guess he was letting him escape. He is just here to let guests shine.

- Castiel and Crowley: when good characters become this boring, maybe it's time to let go. The show doesn't take anymore risk (same with deanmon). They seems so scare to have blackmail from angry extreme fans than they let the show become this soap opera. I loved Crowley, not so much Cass but at least he had a purpose. Now, when I know there are in the episode, I don't feel like watching, finally, I do but always regret it.

- The guests take to much place for nothing because we don't care about them. Cole was announced as a big new character. Maybe it's not over, he might become a hunter but right now, what was the purpose ? He was a waste of time.
Bring back the focus on the brothers. Let them think and hunt, save the guests and not the other way around.

- the supernatural, the MOW are flat, pathetic. Where is the surprise, the gore, the new monsters. There was no supernatural at all in the last ep. Come on. It was boring and a bad soap opera. You can have evolution in a show but the basic need to be here. It was a genre, fantastic, roadmovie show, now it's ... I don't know what but none of it. I can't stand anymore the blood on the wall showing the victim was killed, it's stupid and insulting. The fans grew up with the show, we are not teenagers who could have their feeling hurt. Even teenagers won't be scared if they show more, they watch worse.

Well, I don't know if the showrunner is responsable, the writers as a all, if it's CW, the lowbudget (if this case, don't pay so much to get gueststars) but the show is dying and it's sad because it could become back a great show. The ingredients are here .
I rewatch season 6 right now. Funny as some episomes that seems not good at the time look like masterpieces now. It seems so good compare to this crap.

markie
Vampire

16 Dec 2014, 11:04 #4

Exactly how important did the fandom want Dean to be?...

Define importance ?....

What has changed for Dean outside of the mytharc being added to his already list of things he has as a character on the show ...

And any supposed ''importance'' Sam had has not meant very much in the end anyway...

What exactly did Sam take for granted ?...

Considering he never asked Dean to do anything and that Dean took most things on himself to a point he now has autonomy over Sam's body and fate ...

Whether Sam wants it or not ...

I am not sure what Sam took for granted...

As for Sam he left the SPN building when both Eric and Sera left ....

LiamWolf

16 Dec 2014, 16:15 #5

well, season 8 was enjoyable. Season 9 could have been written better.

I agree with jane. There is just so much they can do with season 10 but they're not doing any of it.
- they could have expanded on Demon Dean more. Dang, I would have loved to see a whole season of Dean being evil.
- they could go for the Witches' Grand Coven
- they could expound on Cole's storyarch. There's a lot of interesting things they can do with him.

Please, stop doing what fans ask. Fans don't know what they want sometimes. The three worst episodes this season (Ep04 Papermoon, Ep08 Hibbing and Ep09) were I think the fan-requested ones?