Could A Woman Anchor The Spn Spinoff

Talk about any news relating to Supernatural here

Could A Woman Anchor The Spn Spinoff

hansolo
Woman in White
hansolo
Woman in White

31 Jul 2013, 04:46 #1

I have loved Supernatural from the beginning and through its many reincarnations as the stories and characters evolved over the years.

What do you think of a woman playing the lead character versus going with the familiar formula of a male lead if male duo. Lost Girls is the only show I know of that has taken this route and it would make sense because a lot of younger female viewers have supported the network.

Would this move alienate male viewers, would it matter if it did?

I watch the show and am way too old to do it, but I like the Impala and the supernatural aspect.
Two brothers, backs against the wall, fighting for family and for each other- set against a world of evil where danger lurks everywhere and only their guns, their Impala and their 70's rock give them the strength to fight on!

SuperNut
Shapeshifter
SuperNut
Shapeshifter

31 Jul 2013, 04:59 #2

Personally, I like Supernatural because of Sam and Dean. I don't know if I would even be interested in watching a spin-off just because I don't want those two awesome guys to be replaced in my mind. However, I might try it if the main characters were girls/women. This would become an even bigger possibility if they had Supernatural characters popping in as suggested.

I don't know what the guy fans would say, but my husband for one might actually become a fan if it were a show about girls.

Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter
Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter

31 Jul 2013, 05:17 #3

I would love if the spin off had a female lead. I know SPN is more a male domain with killing off all the females so it would be a bold move. That was one thing that irked me with SPN. I love the guys a lot but they started killing/writing off all the female characters and it was obvious the writers were having trouble fitting a female character into the SPN aspect and the boys lives. So maybe the spin off could have an equal element of women and men. Or just women.

I have always been into shows with strong female lead and SPN was the first I got into a show with male leads. Well, except Angel. Even that show had two guys and a girl. But I would like to see Dean and Sam make a bunch of appearances though. Of even Cas. :wub: But I am all for a female lead getting the spin off.
Under The Dome Meets Supernatural! What all can happen in one dome? Or as Roy may call it. Inside The Magic Circle? No one like a smartypants Roy

Never Forget

by HighVoltagerock

thurman
Wendigo
thurman
Wendigo

31 Jul 2013, 15:09 #4

Depends on the charector. I wont watch simply because the lead is a woman..or a man. The charector has to be someone i want to get to know; who is relatable.

Frankly....if all this woman has going for he ris "badass' then no; not particularly intersted. But if she is complex and flawed and has stregnths as well as vulnerabilities. And she isn't ALWAYS right or always choosing the right path and definetely not having other people falling at her feet to tell her how awesome she is or constantly falling in love with her. Or the villions declaring they want to be her/him or whatever.

Personally...I dont want to see Batman or Wonder woman. I'd like to see a hunter just trying to do the right thing .. and sometimes not knowing what the right thing is. I'd like to see her not always winning. I'd like to see her fail and pick her self back up.

Nightshadeisis
Hospital Ghost
Nightshadeisis
Hospital Ghost

31 Jul 2013, 15:24 #5

I just posted the link to an article in this thread that discusses that very thing. Also big props to the show are given for the fact that it has eclipsed Buffy in seasons, is catching up to X-Files, and is close to becoming the longest running paranormal show in television history. :)

Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter
Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter

31 Jul 2013, 15:39 #6

thurman @ Jul 31 2013, 11:09 AM wrote: Frankly....if all this woman has going for he ris "badass' then no; not particularly intersted. But if she is complex and flawed and has stregnths as well as vulnerabilities. And she isn't ALWAYS right or always choosing the right path and definetely not having other people falling at her feet to tell her how awesome she is or constantly falling in love with her. Or the villions declaring they want to be her/him or whatever.

Personally...I dont want to see Batman or Wonder woman. I'd like to see a hunter just trying to do the right thing .. and sometimes not knowing what the right thing is. I'd like to see her not always winning. I'd like to see her fail and pick her self back up.
Yeah, I hope they don't do that. This isn't like TVD. Back and fourth between the borther and dating all the time. SPN is still about family and this spin off should be too. If it's focused on love or has one ounce of a love triangle in it, then I would not be interested in watching this show. Love triangles are drama but television gets too carried away with them.
Under The Dome Meets Supernatural! What all can happen in one dome? Or as Roy may call it. Inside The Magic Circle? No one like a smartypants Roy

Never Forget

by HighVoltagerock

thurman
Wendigo
thurman
Wendigo

31 Jul 2013, 16:37 #7

Angel325girl @ Jul 31 2013, 03:39 PM wrote:
thurman @ Jul 31 2013, 11:09 AM wrote: Frankly....if all this woman has going for he ris "badass' then no; not particularly intersted.  But if she is complex and flawed and has stregnths as well as vulnerabilities.  And she isn't ALWAYS right or always choosing the right path and definetely not having other people falling at her feet to tell her how awesome she is or constantly falling in love with her.  Or the villions declaring they want to be her/him or whatever. 

Personally...I dont want to see Batman or Wonder woman.  I'd like to see a hunter just trying to do the right thing .. and sometimes not knowing what the right thing is.  I'd like to see her not always winning.  I'd like to see her fail and pick her self back up.
Yeah, I hope they don't do that. This isn't like TVD. Back and fourth between the borther and dating all the time. SPN is still about family and this spin off should be too. If it's focused on love or has one ounce of a love triangle in it, then I would not be interested in watching this show. Love triangles are drama but television gets too carried away with them.
Uggg. Hate the whole love triangle thing. Just means no one really loves anyone enough to make a descions.

Suddenly i have a very Romeo and Juliet feel to the spin off. A human adn a SN creature fall in love and they have to deal with the prejudices of theiir familes while fighting to stay together...while solving the Murder of the week in order to prevent all out war between humans and the SN.

Sounds like a spin off for Krissy the teenage wonder hunter. Or.....ben Braeden is all grown up now...A new actor and they could claim its a new charector.

Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter
Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter

31 Jul 2013, 16:50 #8

thurman @ Jul 31 2013, 12:37 PM wrote:
Angel325girl @ Jul 31 2013, 03:39 PM wrote:
thurman @ Jul 31 2013, 11:09 AM wrote: Frankly....if all this woman has going for he ris "badass' then no; not particularly intersted.  But if she is complex and flawed and has stregnths as well as vulnerabilities.  And she isn't ALWAYS right or always choosing the right path and definetely not having other people falling at her feet to tell her how awesome she is or constantly falling in love with her.  Or the villions declaring they want to be her/him or whatever. 

Personally...I dont want to see Batman or Wonder woman.  I'd like to see a hunter just trying to do the right thing .. and sometimes not knowing what the right thing is.   I'd like to see her not always winning.  I'd like to see her fail and pick her self back up.
Uggg. Hate the whole love triangle thing. Just means no one really loves anyone enough to make a descions.

Suddenly i have a very Romeo and Juliet feel to the spin off. A human adn a SN creature fall in love and they have to deal with the prejudices of theiir familes while fighting to stay together...while solving the Murder of the week in order to prevent all out war between humans and the SN.

Sounds like a spin off for Krissy the teenage wonder hunter. Or.....ben Braeden is all grown up now...A new actor and they could claim its a new charector.
Oh let's hope that will not be how the pin off will be. I don't think it would be and will watch the trailer when they do come out with it to see if it'a like that but if that's what will happen then no. I won't watch it.

I like Krissy but no. We don't need A teenager SPN spin off. That will ruin the show's legacy

Never Forget

by HighVoltagerock

LiamWolf

11 Nov 2014, 05:24 #9

thurman @ Jul 31 2013, 03:09 PM wrote: Frankly....if all this woman has going for he ris "badass' then no; not particularly intersted. But if she is complex and flawed and has stregnths as well as vulnerabilities. And she isn't ALWAYS right or always choosing the right path and definetely not having other people falling at her feet to tell her how awesome she is or constantly falling in love with her. Or the villions declaring they want to be her/him or whatever.
you mean like Charlie Bradbury? I don't get her popularity.

Anyway, I am against the idea of a woman lead for an SPN spin off. Yes, it will alienate me. SPN has established itself to be a male domain. If I want a female lead, I'll watch another show like Buffy.