Are You Still Interested In Fanart Challenges?

Banner, avatar, and wallpaper challenges are in here.

Are You Still Interested In Fanart Challenges?

Yoda
Fire Demon
Yoda
Fire Demon

10 Jun 2011, 18:12 #1

Are you still interested in fanart challenges?

Total votes: 13
5(38%)
2(15%)
5(38%)
0(0%)
1(8%)
0(0%)

Hi everyone,

Since we've been having very low participation in fanart challenges, Starkiller and I would like your feedback.

Please read the options in the poll above and select the one that best describes you. If none of the options fit you, please vote for Other and post in this thread to explain your position.

Regardless of how you vote in the poll above, please feel free to leave comments in this thread or send a PM to Starkiller and/or me with feedback.

Starkiller and I are planning to end fanart challenges at the end of the summer, but if people are not interested in challenges anymore, we'll end challengers sooner.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your feedback,
Yoda and Starkiller
<center></center>

Maneth
Hospital Ghost
Maneth
Hospital Ghost

11 Jun 2011, 00:06 #2

I wanna participate and it annoys me when not many people do lol, I wanna be able to compete against more than one :P

set made by me

Ehlwyen
Woman in White
Ehlwyen
Woman in White

14 Jun 2011, 17:01 #3

I still want to participate in challenges! I admit that I'm too busy to enter them all.

It's sad to hear they will be ending after the summer regardless. Although I know how much work you and Starkiller put into running the challenges. :wub:

I might suggest changing how the challenges are run. Allowing people to do multiple entries might get more people to enter and more people to enter more quickly because they don't have to come up with the one "perfect" idea for an entry. I would suggest 3 at least.

If only entries are allowed in a thread, then a new voting thread doesn't need to be set up. Each time artists post they label their entry with a number (Entry #1, Entry #2, Entry #3). Voters can just send in the artist name and entry# of their favorite entry. And the thread title can be edited to say voting open.

I know I like challenges for the inspiration and challenge. I am less interested in the winning part, and more interested in hearing if someone liked it all. I wouldn't be opposed to not doing a voting period if that's too much work for you guys. Instead having entrants and members post their favorites and why (great coloring, composition, emotions, etc) might be more helpful to entrants and build community.

My SN fanart ~ SN Fanart thread

Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter
Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter

14 Jun 2011, 17:15 #4

I just like seeing all the pretty banners everyone comes up with. I also vote too. I understand your decision too. It's frustrating to put all your work in running these challenges and having only two or three people enter. I think a lot of people like the Last Avatar Maker Standing because they can do multiple avi's for each week I think with a different theme.
Under The Dome Meets Supernatural! What all can happen in one dome? Or as Roy may call it. Inside The Magic Circle? No one like a smartypants Roy

Never Forget

by HighVoltagerock

Yoda
Fire Demon
Yoda
Fire Demon

14 Jun 2011, 18:16 #5

Maneth, Ehlwyen, and Angel, thank you all for your feedback.

Ehlwyen, what you said about liking the inspiration and challenge and being less interested in winning is interesting. It sounds like you're interested in having prompts where people can make graphics that fit specific guidelines. People post feedback about the entries instead of voting. That way is more about the graphics and less about the competition. I agree that's a great way to build community. Hmm, you gave me something to think about. ^_^
<center></center>

highvoltagerock
Vampire

15 Jun 2011, 15:28 #6

Yoda @ Jun 14 2011, 02:16 PM wrote: Maneth, Ehlwyen, and Angel, thank you all for your feedback.

Ehlwyen, what you said about liking the inspiration and challenge and being less interested in winning is interesting. It sounds like you're interested in having prompts where people can make graphics that fit specific guidelines. People post feedback about the entries instead of voting. That way is more about the graphics and less about the competition. I agree that's a great way to build community. Hmm, you gave me something to think about.&nbsp; ^_^
I like that idea, I also like the idea of regular challenges, even if only done on a monthly basis. 28-31 days is a lot of time to get one piece done... I don't always contribute patially b/c of time, partially b/c I need the right prompt in order to trigger anything...For example, the single emotion one was great b/c it narrowed the focus, which also allows, IMO, one to focus one's creative abilities better, whereas the last challenge was wide open, so I really didnt know where to begin...and spent the whole time trying to figure that out...

Hope that doesnt sound too mean or anything...but I do feel the more focused ones are the best...

Also, I know it doesnt belong here, but have we done monocramtic themes? (i.e. purple week or blue week...or b/w, etc. week?) or maybe challenges revolving around the ep that last aired maybe? or character challenges which should show the character's growth over 6 seasons?

Banners by me, avi by hobbleit. >>SPN or request?<<</center>

Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter
Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter

15 Jun 2011, 15:36 #7

highvoltagerock @ Jun 15 2011, 11:28 AM wrote: character challenges which should show the character's growth over 6 seasons?
oh, I like that one.
Under The Dome Meets Supernatural! What all can happen in one dome? Or as Roy may call it. Inside The Magic Circle? No one like a smartypants Roy

Never Forget

by HighVoltagerock

Yoda
Fire Demon
Yoda
Fire Demon

15 Jun 2011, 16:51 #8

Highvoltagerock, thanks for your feedback. It's not mean, so no worries. :)

It's good to hear that you prefer more focused challenges. That's exactly the kind of insight Starkiller and I are interested in hearing. We like to have a variety of challenges because we realize that people have different preferences, so that's why we move between specific challenges and open ones.

To answer your questions, we had a challenge a little while ago where artists had to use black and white and one additional color, and we've had challenges for specific episodes.

We haven't done a challenge about character growth, but that's a cool idea.

We do challenges every month, but typically they're open for one to two weeks. So when you say you like monthly challenges, does that mean you want a challenge that's open for a month?
<center></center>

Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter
Angel325girl
Seasoned Hunter

15 Jun 2011, 17:26 #9

a month themed challenge. That might be better for people who don't have the time to enter weekly.

Never Forget

by HighVoltagerock

Cinca
Shtriga
Cinca
Shtriga

15 Jun 2011, 17:33 #10

I, for one, am interested in more focused challenges, like the already mentioned limited palette wallie challenge, albeit it also depends if the prompt catches my eye (usually it does) and it does help with focusing creativity. I think highvoltagerock means is doing a challenge every month with a specific theme. :unsure: We could go in seasons as well, like themes for summer, fall, winter, spring and maybe have contests in those those months dedicated to the seasons theme. Just playing along, feel free to shoot me. LOL

I also like the idea of having more then one entry too.

~*Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.*~ Tsuyukami, Natsume Yuujinchou

~*There is no such thing as a coincidence in this world, there is only the inevitable.*~ Yuuko Ichihara, Xxxholic

highvoltagerock
Vampire

16 Jun 2011, 12:30 #11

Yoda @ Jun 15 2011, 12:51 PM wrote: Highvoltagerock, thanks for your feedback. It's not mean, so no worries. :)

It's good to hear that you prefer more focused challenges. That's exactly the kind of insight Starkiller and I are interested in hearing. We like to have a variety of challenges because we realize that people have different preferences, so that's why we move between specific challenges and open ones.

To answer your questions, we had a challenge a little while ago where artists had to use black and white and one additional color, and we've had challenges for specific episodes.

We haven't done a challenge about character growth, but that's a cool idea.

We do challenges every month, but typically they're open for one to two weeks. So when you say you like monthly challenges, does that mean you want a challenge that's open for a month?
good. :) and I meant each challenge runs for a month instead of the 1-2 wks which seems to be the norm...

and thanks to everyone who likes my ideas! :) :hug

ITA with cinca. And I love the idea of a season challenge!

Banners by me, avi by hobbleit. >>SPN or request?<<</center>