Animation in GIMP!

Post all fanart tutorials here. (Please save specific questions for the Fanart Help forum.)

Animation in GIMP!

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

26 Feb 2009, 21:57 #1

Although there are no spoilers in this thread, I will be using spoiler tags but purely to save space...and make it easier for you to find each section you want to look at...as it's quite long already

Welcome to my...

Animation guide for GIMP (2.4...but I'm working on adding details for use with 2.6 ;) )

...I started making animations a while ago...with various degrees of success...here is the help thread i started a while ago when I just plain couldn't figure it out >>when i was stuck<< it took me a while but here i am...
...through experimentation and patience I'm now presenting you with my knowledge of Animation using the Gimp

I will hopefully teach you how to make icons such as this...

EG: ...

...and then move on to vid style banners/icons and then adding text too

EG:

Before even starting I'm gonna say this now...this probably makes more sense if you've already used Gimp before...even if only for a banner or somethng..you migh wanna read the first little part about the menu's and tools in my complete begginers guide if yu're not sure >>LINK<<

...also...Animations take time...Video animations take alot of time...You must be patient with yourself...If you mess it up...which...well...you probably will at least once (I have many times..still do on occasiuon <_<)
...don't throw stuff at your computer :P
... just try, and try again ;)

-----------------------------------------------

First to make a basic layer animation...and how to Save an animation

[+] spoiler
Open a new "Canvas" (File...New)
size it at 100 x 100 pixels (Avatar/icon size)

....then basically "Open as Layer" (File...on your canvas - open as layer) an Avatar you like, or an image
(You may need to scale layer...scale layer it and sharpen itfilters...Enhance...Sharpen)...merge it down so that it's the bottom layer (Image...Merge visible layers)

...then add another different icon/image...("open as layer")...but Don't merge this one down.

...you can stick to 2 icons/images or you can just add some more but don't Merge them down (or flatten the layers) keep them seperated ;)

when you have your layers of icons/images...(2 to 5 is a good place for us to start)...click on File (on your canvas)...then Save ...you want to save it as a .gif image so pick your destination folder EG: Pictures then type in your filename EG... ANIicon1.gif...then click on Save...>>Cap 1<<

this box will appear...

Make sure "Save as animation" is highlighted then click on "Export"

a new box may appear if you used images larger than 100 x 100 (IE: they don't fit on the canvas...)
...just click on Crop

lastly it will ask you how many millesecond you want each slide to show for (If unspecified)

for just a couple of images like the avi here...
...I set this to 500 milleseconds

once you've picked a length of delay simply click on save again and it's done...now just check if it works ^_^

you can either go find the image in your folders and open it to see if it goes all flashy or you can upload it to your photobucket account (or similar)

you can test your animation within gimp before you even save it too...this is handy when making vid icons/banners...
just go to Filters...Animation...Playback
>>Cap<<

if you don't think it's long enough or it's too long or you want one particular layer to stay on longer than the others you can alter the milleseconds by opening up the file you just saved and going into the Layers (Dialogues...Layers) and changing it there...don't forget that you'll need to save it again and Save as animation...again

>>Cap<<
-----------------------------------------------------

...Adding text in an animation...or as an animation

[+] spoiler
When adding text in an animation i find it easier to simply multiply the layers and then ad a new layer for the text then merge them down...okay...that doesn't really explain it well :lol:

Ummm right....I wanna write a line of text in an icon...say one letter at a time per layer
...there are a few ways to do this the simplest way is probably to write the text in it's own layer then multiply it to however many letters there are and work backwards down the layers....selecting and cutting another letter with each layer...

Open up your icon (Make the icon then merge layers so that it's one layer)

then add a new layer ...Layer...New Layer... (>>Transparency<<)

onto this new transparent layer add all your text... merge the text layer onto the new layer...but not onto the image layer...you sould have two layers one image and one text...

If you need to move you text layer around don't forget to change your move tool to move the active layer >>Cap<<

When you've got your text and your image layer sorted Duplicate them a whole bunch of times...
you can then arange them by using the Layers box (Dialogues...Layers) so that it's Image, Image, image,...text...Image...text...image...text...image...text...image...and so on for a bit...then make a few extras at the end that are just Image again...
you do this simply by dragging and dropping the layers to where you want them..

your Layers box looks something like this...in theory >>Cap<<

now you can make this part easier by making the top layers invisible...that lttle eye next to the layer image in the Layers box..click it..the layer will be there still but invisible ^_^

Select the first text Layer...as in the one nearest the bottom of the layers list..as this is where the animation starts...
make sure you have that layer selected (click the layer you want to be on in the Layers box)
now remove all te text exept or the first letter (use the lasso tool with no feathering and then just cut away the selected area edit...cut...now merge that layer onto the image layer below it
...if you've taken too much away or you're on the wrong layer just click the magical "Undo" button (edit...Undo) and try again

now just go to the next text layer up...(Make sure to make the layers "Visible" again before merging by siply clicking on the little eye again) and do the same, but lave 2 letters this time..and so on...

If you have trouble cutting the letters you can simply zoom in on your work >>Cap<< to make them easier to define

When you get to the last text layer (the whole word/sentence) then you can either just duplicate it a couple of times so that it shows the word/sentence for longer
...or...
you can then continue for a couple of layers with the image layers just stopping the text when it's a whole word/sentence
...or....
you can fade out the text...basically keep a couple of extra layers of the text and change it's Opacity before merging...start at say...80% then another at 60%, another at 40%..then one more at 20% then just go back to the plain image

then check your work by going into Filters...Animation...Playback

if it doesn't run how you want it to...just go back and have a look at how the layers are aranged perhaps you need to add an extra layer here or there?, or Maybe you have duplicated the wrong layer somewhere?...using the layer visibility thing can make it easir to find a faulty layer...

this is what mine looks like ...

If you don't want just one lot of text (as here i only have "Impala") you can simply repeat the steps again...perhaps put a new bit of text (EG "Rocks") placed on a different part of the image layers
...or just do whole words at a time...instead of a letter at a time...and you could fade those in and out over a few layers each

NOTE:...to add an animated arrow...use a thin...ish brush and do a stroke on one transparent layer/or an Image layer...duplicate it...then add the next stroke..duplicate that one then do the final stroke

....if you put them on Transparent layers then merge each layer (with one, two and three strokes respectivly) down onto an image layer each

...then duplcate the image with the whole arrow once too so that it is seen before the next layer goes over it

...If you want the arrow to fade out make sure you have a spare transparent layer (with just the arrow) so you can change the Opacity and merge it down onto an Image layer

Like so....

--------------------------------------------------------

...Fading in and out...in more detail(Vid lookey likey)

...added a little lighting action there too :P
[+] spoiler
open a new canvas with either an plain white or coloured Background...add an icon/image "As layer" position it, and if you need to sharpen etc do so....

duplicate the plain layer and the image layer a few times and sort them (the same way as the text technique i covered just up there with the text adding bit^^^ using the Layers box
(Image, Plain, Image, Plain, Image, Plain etc...) to fade in...

first layer is plain
...then the second layer is the image with the plain layer at 80% opacity merged down
...third layer is the Image with the Plain layer at 60% opacity,
...fourth layer is the image with the Plain layer at 40% and merged down,
...the fith layer is the image with the plain layer at just 20%
...then the 6th layer and onwards is just the Image layer...
to fade back out...do these steps backwards...6th to last is Plain set at 20% merged onto the image layer the 5th to last layer is set Plain at 40% and merged onto the Image layer etc...till you reach full Plain again...

if you want to add a light effect like i have with the Impala's brake lights simply make a "New layer" (Transparent) and use the paint tool to add in the lighting/glow, red in this case.
(I blured it so that it blended well when merged)

then duplicate this Transparent layer (with your effect) place i again Image, effect, Image, effect, image, effect...etc...

...and again simply change the Opacity this time start low an work up...you may not even want to go upto 100% for a lighting effect, it's upto you though and what you want to achieve. you might not want to fad out either..you could kee te light effect going and have it fade out along either the rest of the image.

-------------------------------------

Video like animation...plus how to "Aquire" screencaps

[+] spoiler

okay...I'm now gonna show you how to make this...

Of course I'll give you images for this one so you won't have to get them yourself...to practice with :P...

Save these images to a new folder on your comp (so that they're easier to find and open when you open up the Gimp) ....cll it "Animation" or "Tutorial" or something...
[+] spoiler
IMG 1...IMG 2...IMG 3

IMG 4...IMG 5...IMG 6

IMG 7...IMG 8...IMG 9

IMG 10...IMG 11...IMG 12

IMG 13...IMG 14...IMG 15

IMG 16...IMG 17
This is a very short animation it has only 17 frames...The animation in My sig right now...has closer to 70...

That's the part that takes the most time...getting the caps themselves...but i'll explain that part in a moment

first to make a vid banner/icon...all you do is add the layers in sequence...they're all numbered so should be easy to select one at a time

Open a New canvas 200 x 100...then open Antut1.png (Open as layer)

Scale it to 190 pixels high (253 wide) then Sharpen it...(filters...Enhance..Sharpen) then if you want to adjust the Brightness/contrast (Colors...Brightness-Contrast)

then repeat..."open as layer" Antut2.png, scale and sharpen it, then Antut3.png etc...until you've got all the way to Antut17.png...then you can take a look at your video animation in action...(Filters...Animation...Playback)

To mine I've added a fade in and fade out...plus a border decoration...

to fade in and out it's the same as before but instead of duplicating the Image layers you use the next frame and duplicate the plain layers and change their Opacity...if you duplicate the image layer instead of moving on to a seperate image "Frame" then your animation may get Jumpy...or stutter

...To add a border add a New layer (Transparent) then use a brush (as i did) and put a pretty edge on it...or siply Bucket fill the new layer and cut it out with the rectangle selecting tool..leaving just the edges...duplicate this for each layer...
(Image, border, image, border, image, border etc...)
then merge down the borders onto the Image layers...and hey presto...prettyness ^_^

When saving as .gif (Save as animation) change the delay to just 10 mileseconds

The hard part is really...Getting your screencaps in the first place...

To get enough screencaps for a video to work nicely...you'll need to get every 3 or every 4 frames (to run in "Real Time")
...if you want it to run in slow mo...you can get every frame or every other frame...

I use Windows media player...basically put in your dvd and make the image fill as much of the screen as possible without going to full screen (if you go full screen you can't access the tool bar along the bottom and thus can't use GIMP)

go to File....Aquire...Screen shot
>>Cap<<

...then hide your Gimp boxes and select "Grab whole screen" and click "Grab"...if you haven't hidden you GImp box it will grab this as part of the screen shot...you can add a delay so that you have time to get gimp out of your way if you need to.

...to move the frames along in Windows media player
...when you've found the part/scene you want to cap and vid then click "Pause" then use the Right >>&#124; chapter selection arrow to move it forward a couple of frames then get another and so on and so forth....this takes ages...you'll need to get at least 20 frames to get a good vid out of it...

Also make sure you Save the caps in order Ie: Cap1.jpg, Cap 2.jpg etc...

The longest I've made so far is that Arrow firing one up there from Hofd it's about 80 or so frames long and it took about 3 hours to make total...with image enhancements too

..You can make screencaps using Youtube vids but again going full screen mean you can't use the gimp's menu's so you just have to cap the highest quality vid you can find and view it on a regular page...to get the frames you can't just go frame by frame on YT (well I couldn't) I had to press pause get the cap then press play then imediatly press pause again so that it didn't move on too far...These are a couple of animations ive made from YT vids...

I umm...Think that's it ^_^

Feel free to post any questions...or let me know if i've missed something ;)
<center>

Springfield,IL
Prologue is up^CLICK^to read

Sig Clinic</center>LIMS R11 and 12 vote!

ilaria
Fire Demon
ilaria
Fire Demon

28 Feb 2009, 22:15 #2

thank you so much!I'll try it soon :D

banners by me,avatar by xlozx
http://ilaria84.livejournal.com/

ilaria
Fire Demon
ilaria
Fire Demon

01 Mar 2009, 18:37 #3

I was trying to make the animations but the screencaps you posted don't work.. :huh:
can I use something different?

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

01 Mar 2009, 23:45 #4

They all work for me...exept for the first one *Facepalm*

...but I've just re-uploaded it and edited the link ;)

Try again...If you're still having troubles I'll upload them to Imageshack ;)

I noticed today that Cap 9 seems to put it's self at the bottom of your list when you save them
(The filename wasn't quite the same as the others)
....but you can simply grab/move the layer down to where it should be as the layers will still keep thier filenames when looking at them in the Layers box thingy so it;s easy to put in the right place ;)
<center>

Springfield,IL

Silvertayl
Woman in White
Silvertayl
Woman in White

03 Mar 2009, 04:22 #5

:wave I am fairly new to GIMP and have been doing a bit of playing with animation in GIMP, but I am unable to get the one thing I am really trying to achieve.

Maybe you can help?

What I want is an animated fire background (for banner) with pics/renders on top not below or layered into the fire animation frames, so the pics don't move with the fire and the pics/renders are on top with a animated fire background.

I have an excelent animated fire script made by Fencepost that I downloaded. I have tried various ways using this fire filter to try to get the pics/renders on top but so far can only get the pics/renders below or in the fire, or not visible at all. :bang

It seems like such a simple thing and surely there is a way?

I hope all that made sense. If you have a way to achieve this result I would be forever grateful.

Or maybe I have to settle for a non animated pic of fire or flames as a background.

Silvertayl

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

03 Mar 2009, 21:41 #6

The only thing i can think is to blend the fire layers into the image layers...but I don't think you can alter the opacity of a .gif image once it's been saved as .gif :unsure: unless you aler the opacity of the image layers and kind of sandwich the fire layer in between 2 layers of te same images frame...

you'll have the image layer then put the fire layer ontop...then duplicate that image layer to go on top and blend it down...Maybe...
I'm not completely sure what you mean but..I hope tat may help...hopefully :lol:

If you could post and example of what you're trying to achieve i may be able to help more ;)

I also fond out today that a couple of the menu selections in my Gimp (2.4) are different from the new Gimp (2.6)*Facepalm*

If i figure out the new menu's i'll post some new caps ;)

ETA:...differences for 2.6...

to get to the "Layers" box:
...go along the top edge of your canvas to click on "Windows"
...from there go down to "Dockable Dialogs"
...then a long list will apear, from near the top select "Layers"

>>Shot<<

to get a Screen capture:

...go to "file"....then down to "Create"...and then to "Screen shot"

>>Shot<<

...the rest seems to be the same....mostly ^_^
<center>

Springfield,IL

Silvertayl
Woman in White
Silvertayl
Woman in White

05 Mar 2009, 01:12 #7

It's a bit hard to post what I am trying to achieve when I can't achieve it. If you know what I mean. :lol: Because If I could show you then I have achieved what I want. Huh?? :blink:

But that being said this is what I am getting at: :fire :fire :fire Okay see how the little smilie devil is in front of the flames and not behind the flames or in the middle of the flames, that is what I want. The picture/render in the foreground of an aniamted flame/fire background, not in the background or in the flame layers/frames themselves. :thumbsup

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

05 Mar 2009, 01:32 #8

^Right got'chya ;)

To do that...you'll have to "cut out" your image (unless it's already done, "Render" as you said) then just add it on top of each of the flames layers and merge them down...

I know what I mean but it's really hard to explain it seems :lol:

bassically..open up the Flames .gif...hopefully it should have all the layers still...then add your images inbetween each of the flames layers (to make it easier you might wanna bring up the "Layers" dialogs box

(Gimp 2.4 ...Dialogues...Layers...
Gimp 2.6 ....Windows...Dockable dialogs...Layers)

hopefully it should let you merge each of your image layers onto the flames layers other wise it will sort of flicker...but not in a good way ^_^

I hope that mkes some kind of sense *Facepalm*
<center>

Springfield,IL

Silvertayl
Woman in White
Silvertayl
Woman in White

05 Mar 2009, 08:00 #9

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Silvertayl

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

05 Mar 2009, 21:02 #10

Awesome...good luck ;)
<center>

Springfield,IL

ilaria
Fire Demon
ilaria
Fire Demon

14 Mar 2009, 18:38 #11

I'm trying to make an animation,your tut is amazing

I just didn't understand this part,I can't find this Grab whole screen:
...then hide your Gimp boxes and select "Grab whole screen" and click "Grab"...if you haven't hidden you GImp box it will grab this as part of the screen shot...you can add a delay so that you have time to get gimp out of your way if you need to.
then when I save my animation as a gif file I have this:

it says that I can't save it because the images are too big(that's strange,I scaled them)

edit:
ok I made an animation but it sucks because it's so fast and i'm trying to change but it doesn't work :(

thanks to
http://marishna.livejournal.com/

for the caps

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

14 Mar 2009, 21:58 #12

...it let you get a Screencap?...or not?

if you got a screencap i think it simply means that you'll have to save it as a different type of file E: .jpg

if it's the actual aimation that wasn't saving...I don't know what has happened...unless it was really, really long but even then..I'm not quite sure :unsure:

as for slowing it down...

Open the saved (.gif) aimation file... go into "Windows" (Finestre)...then down to "Dockable dialogs" (Second selection on the list)
...then across/up to "Layers"...your layers box should appear when you click on "Layers"
...from there you can alter the "Delay" for each slide...simply highlight the number in the box (EG: 10ms) ...and change it to a higher number (EG: 20ms)
...and click the Enter/Return key on your keyboard ;) do it for each layer...then save it again...or you could simply duplicate each layer once...rememer to save as animaion!

I hope that helps some...that way it' will become...this:

I duplicated each layer once...Unfortunatly it's gone a bit jumpy <_<

I'll see if I can remedy it further ;)
....I have an idea....I'll be back :D

ETA; it's still not perfect <_<

I re-aranged acouple of the slides/frames and also cut the edges so they line up a bit better...but...hmmm...I can't seem to get it to run right either...maybe it doesn't ike us :lol:

If you're wondering i tried a trick to add extra frames in between the ones we have...to do that I duplicated each layer so that there were 3 copies of each and 2 copies of te first and last...it's difficult to explain but it kinda goes

...cap 1....cap 1+ cap2(@50% merged down) ....Cap 2....Cap2 + cap3(@50%merged down)...Cap 3....Cap 3 + Cap4 (@50% merged down)....cap 4..... etc...
<center>

Springfield,IL

ilaria
Fire Demon
ilaria
Fire Demon

15 Mar 2009, 14:39 #13

thank you so much,you're really patient,I will try again
I was just insecure about the speed,thanks again ;)

Saiyuki
Winchester
Saiyuki
Winchester

15 Mar 2009, 19:51 #14

You're welcome hun...I just hope it works :lol:

I must admit using the caps in the animation you'd made of Dean...I noticed that a couple didn't seem to be in the correct order :huh:
but I don't know how that would have happened unless they were out of order when you got them
...they also aren't close enough to make a vid like sequence...that's the problem I have when I have to get my caps from Youtube *Facepalm*

I'm here if you're still having trouble with it ;)
<center>

Springfield,IL

sazzy
Shtriga
sazzy
Shtriga

16 Mar 2009, 06:12 #15

OMG thanks so much for posting this :)

^ by Dean's Gal and av