You Guys Are Too Much

You Guys Are Too Much

Tom Brite
Tom Brite

November 17th, 2010, 5:57 pm #1

Well, I think it is time for me to move on from reading this site. I think I have finally been overcome with the reality of the total failure of this site in any ability to do any good for the cause of Christ.

Let me set forth the reasons:

First, you have Dr. Crump who takes the time to correct every error of typing or grammar posted by a "liberal" and then he turns around and uses "gotta" in a sentence. Further, his denial of using a curse word at Faithsite is just an out and out lie. (Some may remember that it was finally SE (Mike Dugger) who convinced him to remove his word which no one else had used on the site. It is exactly this type of arrogance and narcissism that has led many congregations (and more are on the way) such as Oak Hills to disassociate themselves, NOT FROM CHRIST, but from many within Churches of Christ. To claim that a congregation that drops "of Christ" from their name means that they have dropped Christ represents uncontrolled ignorance on the part of the one making the claim. I was at Oak Hills when that decision was made and it was a painful decision to some, but one that was made, after countless hours of study and prayer, to overcome prejudices represented by many who have encountered this type arrogance and allowed that to cloud the view they hold of anything associated with the name "Church of Christ."

Next, you have Donnie who chooses to eliminate any "rumor" [... about ...] one of the staunch writers on this site. Then, Donnie turns around and says that Max loves to be called Reverend (a fact which is not true, although I hope that Donnie has spoken to Max about this (like I have) and is not posting "rumors" simply because it is about a "liberal." Donnie, I admired your stand initially with regard to Madison, but you recently posted that you were distracted by a solo during the contemporary service. The answer is simple - if you know a solo might take place during that service, then don't go to that service. Why put yourself in that position? I'm assuming that it was done in that service because that type of service is preferred by most in the service. And, I would assume that a solo is not done during the traditional service. Again, why put yourself in that position. Donnie, and I say this with respect, but this is the reason that several conservatives like Jimmy have left this site. And all of this about a congregation of which you are not a member?

I have nothing but respect from Ken and have learned a great deal from his writings. I will continue to read his writings on his site and correspond with him via email when appropriate.

Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on November 17th, 2010, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donnie
Donnie

November 17th, 2010, 11:02 pm #2

Tom,

We appreciate you stopping by to deliver your message. Just know that it is not sinful to occasionally "pass in review" and express your views in Christ-like spirit as you normally did/do. [We just might consider this as a special thread open for discussion. We'll see.]

Just a few brief comments here:

Not in defense of anyone, I believe that an educated person would know when an expletive is used as in a quotation or as an illustration. That a child, or even an adult, should have his mouth washed out with soap every time he says "goddamnit!" illustrates the point. Also, while correcting every grammatical error [which CM moderators do not do] may be construed/misconstrued as a type of arrogance among online posters, I do not believe that it "has led many congregations ... to disassociate themselves ... from many within Churches of Christ," as you claim.

With regard to dropping the name "of Christ" as in the case of Oak Hills Church [formerly "of Christ"], I do not think for one moment that any professed Christian believes that that church has dropped Christ or does not preach Christ anymore. Yes, everything you said concerning the decision to change the name is accurate and well-documented -- the stigma, the desire to accept and fellowship openly with members of various religious persuasions, accommodating "the needs" of instrumental music lovers in worship, his diluted perspective on baptism [still clinging somewhat to the Baptist's baptism], etc. But regardless of whatever else is the reason, at the end of the day, the message delivered is that the distinctiveness of the church that Christ established does not [and to the change agent: "should not"] exist; but rather that His church is just "another denomination" and, therefore, "one church or denomination is as good as another.

That Max Lucado has been addressed as "Reverend" or "Pastor" is a fact (a "true" fact). As a guest speaker in some large gathering, the introduction would be as follows: "..., ..., Reverend Max Lucado, honored guests, ladies and gentlemen."

Or, during a "Benediction by Reverend Max Lucado."

A humble, conservative evangelist of the church would humbly and respectfully acknowledge with a "thanks, but no thanks" and explain what he believes the truth says about that.

[... more later]
Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on November 17th, 2010, 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

November 17th, 2010, 11:54 pm #3

Donnie has already warned us that further, uncivil posts and responses will not be tolerated here from ALL posters. Therefore, I'm not going to get into an "argument" with Tom Brite about "cursing" on this site or any other site. I've already stated my position and all parties know that the quotes I posted at FaithSite were for illustrative purposes only. Those who still insist that such quotes constituted "cursing" on my part evidently turn a blind eye to the FACT that "cursing" is taking the name of God/Jesus in vain, which I did not do. Those quotes were VULGAR and originated with others, not with me. They were posted to shock readers into seeing just how low some "Christians" will behave when they disagree with others. Now if perhaps people who feign being "overly sensitive" conveniently take the FaithSite post as an opportunity to smear me, they do so only because they disagree with my theological views and resort to low tactics to make themselves appear "righteous." Now as far as I am concerned, that's the END of this subject.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

November 18th, 2010, 5:17 am #4

Since correcting spelling and grammar was mentioned, I do not see why people often behave like rabid dogs when anyone corrects their spelling and grammar on message boards. Those people go ballistic. Is it because they are EMBARRASSED to be corrected and they react with anger, or, if it's on a board like CM, is it because their theological views are usually at odds with the one who corrects them, and they they seek retaliation through smear tactics?

Although I don't read every post on this site, I will continue to correct spelling and grammatical errors IF I see them, and I will continue to encourage posters in error to use their dictionaries (printed or online). Although it's Donnie's call about what is posted here, shall we teach the Gospel and warn about the change agents, yet not teach good English and allow people's abysmal communication skills to "thrive"? I hardly think that people will run in terror from the Church of Christ as such because someone corrects their poor English, unless they are really shallow and have no desire whatsoever to learn the Truth.

Donnie
Donnie

November 18th, 2010, 4:59 pm #5

I think we all agree that communications skills, spelling and grammar should be an ongoing learning process in life. Needless to say that it's human nature, generally speaking, to be embarrassed, be defensive and react negatively to the person who brings up the correction.

Yes, I agree that the mouse clicking can very quickly direct anyone (esp. one with the old-timer's disease -- [and I'm too lazy to check the correct spelling of the disease]) to an online dictionary, Google and other online resources for correct spelling and grammar without being embarrassed and insulted. I personally use online resources frequently.

Would you initiate a thread on spelling and grammar that we can use as a quick reference tool here at CM? We can keep this as an ongoing learning tool. We can direct ALL of our observations, without mentioning names, to this specific thread so as not to deter the "flow" of responses.

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

November 18th, 2010, 5:48 pm #6

Donnie, thanks for the invitation to start a special thread devoted to spelling and grammar--and punctuation as well. I will work on that right away.

November 18th, 2010, 6:19 pm #7

You still haven''t solved my problem with was and were.

If I were you I would....

Of is it

If I was you I would...

still unclear to me. Thanks.

Roncar
Roncar

November 18th, 2010, 6:40 pm #8

Donnie, thanks for the invitation to start a special thread devoted to spelling and grammar--and punctuation as well. I will work on that right away.
Dr. Crump,

Will your program check for typo's as well? There is no excuse for typo's these days. A typo is a misspelled word and should be flagged by the spell checker. Right Bill?

Dr. Bill Crump
Dr. Bill Crump

November 18th, 2010, 8:09 pm #9

It's not a software "program," it's simply a thread where people can post English errors and appropriate corrections and references. The thread is titled "Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation." Most PC word-processing programs have a spell check, so posters are advised to use that and then proofread their messages before posting them at CM.

Fred Whaley
Fred Whaley

November 18th, 2010, 8:52 pm #10

I have two questions.../qerwufbds 1. Does this mean that now the super-hyper-ultra-conservatives in the Church of Christ are LITERALLY emphasizing crossing every t and dotting every i? afdudmfxz and 2. Does this mean that if a person mipel some words every time that every time they will be corrected?

Fred Whaley

"If you are in the parking lot and have still not quit arguing with the people on the porch, you haven't left the Church of Christ yet."