B
B

April 15th, 2012, 9:56 pm #31

So I'm supposed to read the New Testament and figure it out for myself? No one can explain it to me?
It's been said that the King James Bible has been written at the fifth grade level. Can you not read and understand the KJV New Testament at that level?

If you were unable to read, there would be good reason to explain the pattern, but since you ARE obviously capable of reading, then as Phil. 2:12 states, "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (KJV). You begin by reading and obeying what is taught in the New Testament. Simple enough.

April 15th, 2012, 10:21 pm #32

[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Brian,

You have already figured it out. Problem is that your alignment is with the change agents and their influence on you and others is apparent.

But thanks for asking -- it allows us to explain it to those unfamiliar with any of the Restoration Movement principles and/or to those who no longer fully accept the New Testament as THE PATTERN (guide).[/color]
...and you explain it by saying go read the New Testament and figure it out for yourself? I don't think you know, either.

April 16th, 2012, 1:50 am #33

It's been said that the King James Bible has been written at the fifth grade level. Can you not read and understand the KJV New Testament at that level?

If you were unable to read, there would be good reason to explain the pattern, but since you ARE obviously capable of reading, then as Phil. 2:12 states, "...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (KJV). You begin by reading and obeying what is taught in the New Testament. Simple enough.
I believe that Brian is an echo chamber.

My house looks into a high bluff and my dog sometimes gets into a barking contest with his own bark.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 16th, 2012, 6:10 am #34

And what is that?

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 16th, 2012, 6:20 am #35

"And, behold , a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying , Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil .But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying , Sendher away ; for she crieth after us. But he answered and said , I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.Then came she and worshippedmhim, saying , Lord, help me.But he answered and said , It is not meet to take the children's bread, and to cast it to dogs.And she said , Truth, Lord: yet the dogs eat of the crumbs which fall from their masters' table.Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt . And her daughter was made whole from that very hour." - Matthew 15:22-27

One would think that anyone claiming to be a Christian would be able to answer a simple question in all seriousness and with love.

B
B

April 16th, 2012, 12:03 pm #36

One would think that a person who sincerely wants to learn the pattern and is capable of reading would read the New Testament when others who already know the pattern tell him that's how they learned the pattern. Simple enough.

April 16th, 2012, 7:00 pm #37

John 15 tells about the pattern of life that we are to have. To abide in Christ the true vine and abide in his words. To keep his commandments is a must to abide in his love. How do progressives abide in the true vine?

John 15/16 say that the world will hate us and that some will be cast out of the synagogue. Where are the progressives on that mark of true Christianity?

The words of Christ go on to say that the religious people of that day "did not know God". Did the many religious books and seminars today demonstrate they know God and the Bible?

Comments Welcome

April 16th, 2012, 9:24 pm #38

One would think that a person who sincerely wants to learn the pattern and is capable of reading would read the New Testament when others who already know the pattern tell him that's how they learned the pattern. Simple enough.
Let me re-phrase this a third time - what are the particulars of the pattern we're supposed to follow? If it is that important, seems like someone ought to be able to explain it.

B
B

April 16th, 2012, 10:12 pm #39

Let me state this a third time: Read and study Christ's teachings and those of the apostles in the New Testament. If a person has decided that it really is important for him/her to know the pattern, then it seems like that person would be willing to go directly to the one Source where that pattern can be found. Simple enough.

Of course, we can continue with the various restatements and rephrasings.

April 16th, 2012, 10:42 pm #40

Just curious - what is the pattern we are supposed to follow?
[color=#0000FF" size="3" face="times]Brian,

How many times does it have to be explained to you that the New Testament is THE PATTERN or the GUIDE?

"Pattern" is defined as:

-- [n] a model considered worthy of imitation;
-- [n] something regarded as a normative example;
-- [n] something intended as a guide;
-- other synonyms: blueprint, design, form, formula, diagram.

The "particulars" that you are looking for are contained in the New Testament, THE PATTERN.

I have given you a few examples of these particulars. So, I'll briefly explain them to you -- again:

Particular -- Baptism: The conversion process that one who is outside of Christ goes through includes baptism, besides hearing the truth, believing in the Son of God, repentance. Forgiveness of sins does not occur prior to baptism as one is BURIED with Christ in BAPTISM and is RISEN with Him to begin newness of life (Acts 2:37,38; Romans 6:4; etc.). The Greek translation of "eis" (or unto, into, in order that, so that) clarifies the question if forgiveness of sins occurs prior to baptism. The correct context is that after belief and repentance, one is baptized so that or in order that his sins be remitted in the blood of the Lamb. That demolishes man's pattern that one is saved prior to baptism.

Particular -- Office of Elder: The church does not create its own organization as the Roman Catholic Church has done progressively with its hierarchy -- the "infallible" POPE, the cardinals, archbishops, etc. The qualifications of the office of an elder are listed in I Timothy 5; Titus 1; etc.

Particular -- Christian Living: After one has been converted to Christ (after baptism) and as a member of the body of Christ (His church), he is to love God and neighbor; do good works as "faith without works is DEAD" (James 2:17,24; Matt. 5:16; Titus 2:7,14; II Tim. 3:17; etc.; to remain faithful (Rev. 2:10). This demolishes man's opinion that God's grace [often misused and abused] covers it all -- and there's nothing to worry about: backslide, etc.

I think I have repeated these particulars a few times already. Have you even read them?

In essence, the church does not resort to other sources (man's philosophy, books on psychology and psychoanalysis, the Koran, religious magazines, denominational creeds, etc) for any pattern or guide. The New Testament is THE PATTERN for the New Testament Church and for New Testament Christianity.

If you're thinking of other "particulars" that you would like discussed, please identify them, and we'll try to show you from the right and only source -- the New Testament, again, THE PATTERN that is all that we need.[/color]

P.S.: Sorry, if I was under the assumption that you were familiar with teachings in the church of Christ and that you were familiar with the Restoration Movement principles. It appears that you are not.