OK. I go to a formal worship/bible class Sunday morning, Sunday night and Wednsday night. This takes up about about 5-6 hours a week. When you add the extra Men's Breakfasts and other "Get togethers," you could say I spend about 7 hours a week with the body.
There are 168 hours in a week. So let's break this down:
Corporate Worship/Bible Class: 7 Hours / 4.2% of the week / 5.9% of waking time
Work: 50 Hours / 29.8% of the week
Sleep: 50 Hours / 29.8% of the week
Other: 61 Hours / 36.2% of the week
Satan has got us good! He has us completely focused on what happens for 4% of our week / 6% of our waking time. We fight about the format of our public worship. We divide and argue while 96% of our week goes unnoticed.
Now, I am not saying we should disregard that 4%, but God is concerned about what we do for the other 161 hours of the week. In other words, my boss doesn't just want me to show up to work on time, he also wants me to produce while I am work. God doesn't just want us to worship Him in "spirit and truth," he also wants us to be about his business for the rest of the time.
I agree with your contention that God seeks 100% of our devotion to Him. I dont know if I agree that Satan has a hold on us because
we tend focus on the time we praise God.
Let me see if I can explain. First, Satan is more than happy to get his hooks into us in any way presented to him. In fact a hooked lions claw is only a small % of the lion, but it is more than enough to drag one closer to the teeth. Cains sacrifice was only a small % of his time. Nadab and Abihus service to God was a bigger part of their lives, but their time at the altar was only a fraction of that. Dont forget poor Ananias and Sapphira, they only made a small % of time error as opposed to the greater % of time they lived each day. Is it not possible that in each of these cases there were underlying problems of faith that were only made visible by outward worship? Yes!
1) Cain- Gen 4:7 "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.''
It is evident that Cain was struggling with sin and not just in his public worship to God.
2) Nadab and Abihu- Lev 10:3 `By those who come near Me I must be regarded as holy; and before all the people I must be glorified.'
Again we see their problem was their attitude toward God. They did not regard Him as holy. That flaw showed up in their worship toward Him.
3) Ananias and Sapphira- Acts 5:4 Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.''
This is a heart problem that manifested itself in a worship problem.
You are right that we should not disregard small % of our time. So, is Satans hold on man because of the 4%, or is the 4% indicative of the remaining 96%? Could it be that Satan has a hold on 96% and the only visible outcropping is the 4%?
Second, Im not sure any here are only concerned about the 4%. In fact on several occasions I have seen non-worship items come up and they are immediately addressed. (i.e. language) This site deals with public worship and movements with in the church. I assume that if there is a bad language forum that the greatest % of the discussion deals with bad language, not public worship.
Third, (and this will require an example) When Nehemiah was charged with re-building the walls of Jerusalem, his enemies tried several ways to stop the work. One of those efforts was the threat of violence. This point lies in the solution to the threat. Nehemiah posted men around the walls with trumpets. Everyone else went back to work with a trowel in one hand and a spear in the other. When they heard a trumpet sound, they were to go to where the fight was.
I dont know of anyone on this site that thinks that the 96% is not important and should not be wholly dedicated to God. No one has advocated it and if they did I am sure it would be meet with the same passion that you see now displayed concerning the church and public worship. (As evidenced by no one disagreeing with your point that 100% is what is expected from God.) The 96% is not where the fight is, we all agree with you.. This also explains why many of us are passionate about baptism. That passion does not mean repentance and confession are not essential to salvation, just that baptism is always under attack. If that is were the trumpet is sounding then one could naturally expect the workers to run to where the fight is. I have never heard anyone say you dont have to confess Jesus. And to the first point made. Dose someones setting aside the commandment of baptism deal only with one command, baptism, or is setting the command aside an outcropping of a much greater danger, called rebellion? So, if we are willing to force on God what we want in worship
then what we do in worship is a symptom of our rebellion and we have a much greater problem then just what style of songs we sing.