<font color=red size=4>
<font size=3 face=times new roman>February 2001
Most Madison Church of Christ members were oblivious to this article, More Holyroller Influence at Madison in the February "Plumbline Newsletter" which quotes the "Madison Marcher.
- The third worship service at Madison is to be held at the same time as the 10:30 a.m. worship. The "atmosphere will be more conducive to non-Christians. Many unchurched people are intimidated by a more formal atmosphere...." The worship affair will be an effort "...to make it easier for people with no church background to feel comfortable.... More time will be given to singing and communion... The sermons will not be as long as what we are used to. There is no question that God is working among our church family. He recognized our suppressed capacity to love . Attendance for this first Sunday was 538 souls." Jim Hinkle said, "We will not be still, we will not be quiet."
The elders announced that a "Third Contemporary" service that they had previously formed was going to be melted into the 10:00 a.m. or second service.
- This announcement established a "contemporary service" at 10:00 AM and the 8:00 AM service remained unchanged. While making this announcement, Elder Buck Dozier said the Fire Marshals office had said there were too many people in the third service for the size of the auditorium. Since Buck is the past Fire Chief, one has to wonder if this was just a staged excuse to proceed with what was already planned.
Tom Haddon is instructing his "Homebuilders" class on how to transition the church members over to the ways of the Saddleback Community Church and that of "Holy Entertainment." He talks about the well laid plans that only a few know about. See the transcript of February 25th class.
Praise teams, hand clapping, and raised hands during prayer have been introduced at the second service. Childrens Sunday school has been changed from Bible-based to more entertainment and singing. Young women teaching Sunday school to baptized young men.
April 13, 2001
The elders respond to a NewsChannel5 report about growing controversy at the Madison Church of Christ. They send out a LETTER to 683 Churches of Christ in the Channel 5 viewing area.
- "The controversy seems to be over-reaction to change. The main things we have done in the 10:30 service are introduce more upbeat praise songs, give less time to the sermon, and give greater emphasis to the Lord's Supper. This embraces a more contemporary format, of course, but we don't feel that it departs from scriptural worship."
See ConcernedMembers Letter to the Elders of 683 Churches of Christ.
In this meeting on April 22, 2001 the deacons ask the elders, What is going on? On May 02,2001 the Elders reply in a letter. Here Are the Questions and the Elders Answers
Concerned members receive a copy of a rough draft of a "Covenant of Membership" that was supposedly written by Elder Buck Dozier. Mr. Dozier admitted "playing" around with one when contacted.
- The concern about a "Covenant of Membership" is that it's one of the hallmark signs of a "Community Church" like Saddleback. They are generally written in such a way to assure that the membership can't take over the "community church" like they took over your church.
According to THIS ARTICLE in the Tennessean, the elders bring in a mediator (Larry Sullivan) to help with the split within the church. We understand that Buck Dozier met Mr. Sullivan while attending a "seminar." Meetings are set up for the elderswe understand they had to swear to secrecy. Meetings are set up for the members to discuss their objections to the split contemporary and traditional services.
It's later shown by the ConcernedMembers that LARRY SULLIVAN is not an unbiased mediator. He has direct ties to the Saddleback organization. He is trained in using the HEGELIAN DIALECTIC techniques to compromise a groups consensus in whatever direction is predetermined.
By this time many members have left the Church. The unpaid volunteer minister on this particular Sunday abruptly left before giving his sermon at the second service. He was allowed only the last 6 minutes of worship time by the worship leader. Sometime during this period, Buck Dozier appeared in Bill Ruhl's adult class to take over. Bill Ruhl's absence was unexplained to the class.
August 29, 2001
Concerned members send out 2500 ballots and a LETTER asking for church members to indicate on the ballot the type of church service format they wanted. All ballots were to be received by September 20, 2001. Threatening phone calls are received by the contractor hired by ConcernedMembers to do the mailing (August 30, 2001). Other notes not full of brotherly love are received by mail. Ballots from ConcernedMembers mailing are tabulated, and totals posted along with a FINAL REPORT (September 15, 2001)
September 23, 2001
The members have been waiting on an announcement from the elders regarding the future format of services at the Madison Church of Christ. Today (09-23-01) that announcement was made.
- EVERYTHING WILL REMAIN AS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry Sullivan was Guest Speaker! (The Unbiased Mediator)
October 11, 2001 (Thursday)
Deacons had a special meeting with an attendance of over 100 concerned members and deacons. Petitions were given out to collect signaturesto dismiss the elders that have split the Madison Church of Christ. Petitions are due to be turned in by Wednesday the 17th.
October 14, 2001 (Sunday)
Frank Scott delivered his first in a series of talking head animated and canned sermons. Sometime during this period, two elders resignedJ.D. Elliott and Bobby McElhiney.
October 17, 2001 (Wednesday)
A member reported that Wednesday night when she inquired at the help desk as to where she should turn in her petitions, she was told by the lady: "Over there with the trouble makers they are the mafia." Sometime during this period two more elders talked about resigning! No confirmation of that as of today.
October 21, 2001 (Sunday)
SermonSecond in a three-part series of Frank Scott being a talking head for a canned and animated sermon on joy and entertainment. The words "corporate worship" and joy and entertainment were used extensively. Interesting!
DeaconsThe deacons, headed by Ben Jones, nicely and in a very godly way asked the leaders to step down and let the church elect new leadership. (Complete transcript is available.)
October 24, 2001 (Wednesday)
Elders and Deacons meeting tonight! We understand that the 7 or 8 elders that have caused a split at Madison Church of Christ have been formally asked to step down or be disfellowshipped.
October 25, 2001 (Thursday)
Saddleback Planters meeting tonight! Talked about rebuking Ben Jones Sunday!
- To rebuke is to criticize or reprove sharply; to reprimand.
To reprove is to criticize for a fault or misdeed; to scold.
To rebuke or reprove Ben Jones, then, Ben Jones must have done a misdeed.
To define that misdeed, those who will rebuke him must find applicable scriptures.
October 26, 2001 (Friday)
- Flash message coming in the next 72 hours from the ConcernedMembers!
T H E...M A D I S O N...C H U R C H...O F...C H R I S T...H A S...B E E N...H I J A C K E D ! !
Today, according to an announcement made by everyone's favorite elder, Russ Kersten, the church has been hijacked by all the concerned members, deacons and I guess that includes the 5 elders that have been holding out against them. Is hijack a chargeable offense in the church?
October 29, 2001 (Monday)
We received a copy of a letter sent to the deacons. And we felt compelled to reply. ConcernedMembers announced future plans (10/30/01). The server for this web page has recorded 22,645 page views since its creation 8 weeks ago (11/1/01).
November 2, 2001
Transcript of Homebuilders Sunday School classa recording of Tom Haddon on how to transition the congregation to Saddleback and Holy Entertainment in Homebuilders Class (available under Interviews & Transcripts).
November 4, 2001
J.R. Compton and wife, members at Madison Church of Christ for 58 years, came before congregation to ask for forgiveness and ask to have their names removed as members.
November 7, 2001
Interview with Gary McDade of the Getwell Church of Christ in Memphis, TN. Discussion concerning the takeover of churches by the "Community Church" movement and the embracement of this movement by many of the Christian colleges.
November 9, 2001
Two different sources say Bruce White has been hired as a new minister.
November 20, 2001
ConcernedMembers retract a letter sent by the elders to 683 churches of Christ.
November 21, 2001
Email from J.E. ChoateAnd also another personal evaluation is that Buck Dozier should be the first to leave the Madison eldership. His qualifications for the work is moot at best. His past shows that he is no stranger to igniting church fires with no solutions."
November 28, 2001
- The Book: What Happened at the Madison Church of Christ?
Bruce White appears to have been warmly welcomed as new minister at the Madison Church of Christ. First sermon was about the degrees of love. It appears that the Praise Team and their microphones have been turned off in the second service for the time being.
December 18, 2001
Fundraising letter sent out by the Church. Student ministry letter to former members (12/19/01).
January 20, 2002 (Sunday)
Rumor says there is a new group forming called "The PeaceMakers." Their training is probably coming from PEPPERDINE.
January 21, 2002 (Monday)
Letter sent by Donnie Cruz to the elders and other people about the crisis at Madison. The Christian Chronicle publishes article about Madison Church of Christ (01/21/02).
February 4, 2002 (Monday)
We understand that Buck has presented the members of The Peacemakers" with a list of 192 reasons churches split. We wonder if pagan worship practices were on the list?
February 6, 2002 (Wednesday)
Big flare-up at church Wednesday night. We understand 4 or 5 of the good and godly elders have resigned, leaving the church under the control of the clapper and Saddleback crowd.
February 9, 2002 (Saturday)
After the resignation of two elders last year, Madison Church of Christ was left with 13 elders: Bill Bennett, Dale Bishop, John Broadway, Joe Corley, Buck Dozier, Chris Gingles, Howard Henderson, Tommy Hoppes, Russ Kersten, Charles Link, Ken Rice, Norman Slate, Ray Wilson. Five of these elders had been opposed to the "praise teams" and clapping which had permeated the second service since last February 2001. This was when Elder Buck Dozier first announced the decision to turn the new third service loose on the second service. The five elders that were opposed we believe were: Joe Corley, Bill Bennett, Dale Bishop, Norman Slate, and Charles Link.
It's understood Tom Haddon and about 200 of his followers threatened to leave sometime ago when the praise teams were stopped. It's understood that Chris Gingles encouraged them to stay and fight it out. Recently the Haddon followers put the push back on to bring back the praise teams, through the elders they control. It's understood that the elders had become rather hostile toward each other, and when this push came again, then 4 of the 5 elders resigned. Charles Link was out of town, and it is assumed he will resign when he returns.
Quote as told to Bobby M. Johnson by one of the elders: "... told me that there had been a recent meeting of the 10:30 AM crowd including Chris Gingles and Tom Haddon's followers and they said they would never leave. So that with the push to return to the praise teams and the microphones was the last straw."
The 5 elders had already decided to resign if the winds of change didn't subside. So that's that! 3 of these elders also announced that they would probably be attending church at other locations sometime in the future. [No one here blames them, and we can only try to imagine the pain they have been put through. We are sure that like many of us they were unable to continue to worship in that building.]
- HAS GOD LEFT THE BUILDING?
ConcernedMembers announce statewide newspaper advertising campaign
- Sunday Services reviewed by Donnie Cruz [see earlier Timeline]
We at ConcernedMembers have been told that when the 4 elders resigned, that they were assured that their letter would be read to the congregation. Well, as you are probably aware ... not only did their letter not get read, there was also no mention of their resignation, other than a little blip in the Marcher. We have been promised a copy of this letter, and we intend to post it on the web as soon as we get it up.
- The Elders Resignation Letter Is Here [see earlier Timeline]
- Announcement by the Elders [see earlier Timeline]
The Trap Has Been Set at the Madison Church of Christ [see earlier Timeline]
In the February 20, 2002 Madison Marcher, statement made by the elders February 17, 2002:
- 4. "We believe that there can be unity in diversity and will continue to employ two styles of worship services."
Screen presentation of the elders [6 have already resigned] and their length of service helps Donnie Cruz to figure it out:
- <font face=courier>(1) John Broadway ...... since 1998
(2) Buck Dozier ........ since 1996
(3) Chris Gingles ...... since 1998
(4) Howard Henderson ... since 1999
(5) Tommy Hoppes ....... since 1999
(6) Russ Kersten ....... since 1992
(7) Charles Link ....... since 1978
(8) Ken Rice ........... since 1989
(9) Ray Wilson ......... since 1992</font>
(Most of the Remaining Elders Are ... That Explains It! [see earlier Timeline])
Charismatic Contemporary Style Continues: March 24, 2002 [see earlier Timeline]
- I dont believe it is all right to be singing Its All Right when the church is not united in spirit because of what this worship facilitation program has done to begin with. It is NOT ALL RIGHT when the body of Christ is suffering .
- SUNDAY SERVICESEaster"
Notes from the Madison Marcher (Wednesday, March 27, 2002):
Bruce White: We are going to have a great day next Sunday. It is Easter, and we [are] looking for a large crowd. I especially want to see the children in the colorful clothes. Of the Great Day in May (May 5): will have a big lunch under the tent at 12:00. One of our choruses will entertain at 1:30.
- Changes Continue At Madison [see earlier Timeline]
(1) the present deacons will be interviewed by the elders and new deacons will be named; (2) there will be additional elders to be selected; (3), the "love feast" -- and it's only "fitting" -- is to follow the Lord's Supper; (4) Canaan's Land is moving; (5) the "praise team" will be reinstated in the early part of July.
- ELDER CHARLES LINK RESIGNS, and more!
- Is There a Tithing Pledge in Madison's Future? Donnie Cruz reports, there could be!
- Small Groups, Living Stones, or Prayer Circles?
- TITHING NT Christians for Services of the OT Levitical Priests
We are continuing to monitor the progress of the tithing campaign at Madison as taught by Dr. White, based on the tithing manual (Take God at His Word) written by Dr. Kregg Hood. Is the truth about tithing (equals 10%) continuing to be perverted as a CARRY-OVER and as a PERPETUAL command from the Old Testament for New Testament Christians? Since Dr. White proclaimed his message in August 2002 that we TITHE to TEST God and to let Him give the increase, we will be referring to the following amounts collected as being TITHED:
Church Budget ----------------- 47,143 (2001) ---- 38,000 (2002)
Childrens Home ---------------- 5,400 (2001) ----- 4,021 (2002)
Amazing Grace/CPI -------------- 3,000 (2001) ----- 1,539 (2002)
TOTAL BUDGET---- -------------- 55,543 (2001) ---- 43,560 (2002)
------------- (Sermons on TITHING in August 2002) ------------</font>
- Transcription of Bruce White's Sermon on Tithing [see earlier Timeline]
Would you be willing to sign a Tithing Pledge?
Would you be willing to sign a Church Oath or Covenant?
<font color=red size=4>
Quoting Phil Sanders:
- <font color=blue size=3 face=Times New Roman> Entertainment settings should not be regarded as periods of worship. There is no harm in clapping with appreciation for the entertainer, but clapping in worship seems to take the focus off of God and put it on the performer. To be caught up in the skill of a performer and to lose sight of God dilutes and cheapens worship. The rock star status accorded to some entertainers has little place next to the cross. In worship the focus must be on praising God, not the skills of men. Worship put on for show is clearly condemned in Scripture (Matt. 6:1-18; 23:5-12). The recent blurrings of these distinctions [between entertainment and worship], coupled with the exposure to so many denominational worship services on television, services which feature professional performers, has created the confusion. </font>
<font size=3 face=times new roman>NOTE: Prior posts to this thread have been archived here. This is done to keep the loading time down and to ensure that all messages from each thread can be viewed. Thanks.
- Archives 1
http://www.concernedmembers.com/forumar ... 21126.html
http://www.concernedmembers.com/forumar ... 21024g.txt
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1027181246
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1041888038
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1049383651
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1062020979
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1074269951
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1100171098
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1110968133
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1115534555
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1151042140