September 30th, 2015, 11:43 pm #11

People introduce new topics in the "muddle of posts." We have separated out Hebrews 10 as another example of THE Restoration Movement which weeded out everything but being A School of the Word. Located Evangelists quickly took the movement captive to PREVENT the common fodder from reading and teaching THAT WHICH IS WRITTEN FOR OUR LEARNING.

This thread will only be about Hebrews as one of the ALWAYS definition of A School of Christ.

Bill
Bill

October 1st, 2015, 12:40 am #12

You will never know how many PAGAN myths He repudiated?
It's evident that Paul, being very wise, did not load up his epistles with pagan mythology. No doubt he knew that focusing on that junk was more suited to bedtime stories and campfire stories than for Christian edification.

October 1st, 2015, 12:52 am #13

That PROVES that Jesus doesn't let you read BLACK text on WHITE paper.

Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you

Acts 14:11 And when the people saw what Paul had done, they lifted up their voices, saying in the speech of Lycaonia, The gods are come down to us in the likeness of men.
Acts 14:12 And they called Barnabas, Jupiter; and Paul, Mercurius, because he was the chief speaker.
Acts 14:13 Then the priest of Jupiter, which was before their city, brought oxen and garlands unto the gates, and would have done sacrifice with the people.
Acts 14:14 Which when the apostles, Barnabas and Paul, heard of, they rent their clothes, and ran in among the people, crying out,

Acts 19:24 For a certain man named Demetrius, a silversmith, which made silver shrines for Diana, brought no small gain unto the craftsmen;
Acts 19:27 So that not only this our craft is in danger to be set at nought; but also that the temple of the great goddess Diana should be despised, and her magnificence should be destroyed, whom all Asia and the world worshippeth.
Acts 19:28 And when they heard these sayings, they were full of wrath, and cried out, saying, Great is Diana of the Ephesians.

Acts 19:33 And they drew Alexander out of the multitude, the Jews putting him forward. And Alexander beckoned with the hand, and would have made his defence unto the people.
Acts 19:34 But when they knew that he was a Jew, all with one voice about the space of two hours cried out, Great is Diana of the Ephesians.
Acts 19:35 And when the townclerk had appeased the people, he said, Ye men of Ephesus, what man is there that knoweth not how that the city of the Ephesians is a worshipper of the great goddess Diana, and of the image which fell down from Jupiter?

Just a few out of dozens which require a minimum reading of the Classics to grasp!
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on October 1st, 2015, 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill
Bill

October 1st, 2015, 2:40 am #14

Ken, Paul didn't write Acts. You quoted nothing from Paul's own epistles, because Paul doesn't mention the specific name of any pagan god or goddess even once. Paul only occasionally refers generically to "gods" or "idol(s)" or "idolatry" in his epistles, but he definitely does not load up his epistles with that junk:

"god" -- no verses

"gods" (2 verses) -- 1 Cor. 8:5 and Gal. 4:8

"goddess" or "goddesses" -- no verses

"idol" (3 verses) -- 1 Cor. 8:4,7; 1 Cor. 10:19

"idols" (9 verses) -- Rom. 2:22; 1 Cor. 8:1,4,10; 1 Cor. 10:19,28; 1 Cor. 12:2; 2 Cor. 6:16; 1 Thess. 1:9

"idolatry" (3 verses) -- 1 Cor. 10:14; Gal. 5:20; Col. 3:5

Out of all the verses in Paul's own epistles, he refers to gods, idol(s), and idolatry in only 17 verses.

Let's try to emulate Paul by keeping references to pagan mythology to a minimum, since they do not enhance Christian edification.

Dave
Dave

October 1st, 2015, 1:11 pm #15

Ken,
If you are going to quote me then have the good sense that God gave you (what little you have left) and use it to separate OUT what I am saying from what YOU are saying. I do NOT want anyone to confuse what I say with the ravings of a lunatic. Several posts up you DID NOT put quotations around what I SAID, and then you immediately started your twisted rant after my statement. YOU KNOW BETTER and have been told time and time again. You don't have to agree with what I say but what I say is important to me. You KNOW English grammar....I am demanding that you use it when you post my statements.

Here is what you posted
That is also not right for you to put quotation marks around 'singing their own songs out of their own spirit' because Paul never said that.....Ken did. You don't need to put quotations around your own interpretation. Mocking is not manly! Mocking indeed in the Bible includes playing musical instruments as they musically mocked Jesus too the cross.

Here is what you SHOULD HAVE posted.
Dave said "That is also not right for you to put quotation marks around 'singing their own songs out of their own spirit' because Paul never said that.....Ken did. You don't need to put quotations around your own interpretation."

Mocking is not manly! Mocking indeed in the Bible includes playing musical instruments as they musically mocked Jesus too the cross.

October 1st, 2015, 2:56 pm #16

Ken, Paul didn't write Acts. You quoted nothing from Paul's own epistles, because Paul doesn't mention the specific name of any pagan god or goddess even once. Paul only occasionally refers generically to "gods" or "idol(s)" or "idolatry" in his epistles, but he definitely does not load up his epistles with that junk:

"god" -- no verses

"gods" (2 verses) -- 1 Cor. 8:5 and Gal. 4:8

"goddess" or "goddesses" -- no verses

"idol" (3 verses) -- 1 Cor. 8:4,7; 1 Cor. 10:19

"idols" (9 verses) -- Rom. 2:22; 1 Cor. 8:1,4,10; 1 Cor. 10:19,28; 1 Cor. 12:2; 2 Cor. 6:16; 1 Thess. 1:9

"idolatry" (3 verses) -- 1 Cor. 10:14; Gal. 5:20; Col. 3:5

Out of all the verses in Paul's own epistles, he refers to gods, idol(s), and idolatry in only 17 verses.

Let's try to emulate Paul by keeping references to pagan mythology to a minimum, since they do not enhance Christian edification.
Didn't say that Paul wrote acts: reading 101aaa!

Romans 1 defines the Jew's whom God abandoned to worship the starry host: those gods are defined by Acts 7 and Amos.

http://www.piney.com/Romans.1.html

Paul in Romans 14 outlaws the sects in Rome. Those are defined by Christ through Ezekiel 8. They had been outlawed for DOING WHAT THEY DO IN THE NIGHT.

http://www.piney.com/MuTammuz.html

God HIDES from the wise so don't be surprized that you don't grasp the REDEFINING words like Word, Faith, Grace. You don't have to understand unless you presume to be a Teacher. The Spirit OF Christ warned about the Scribes and Pharisees: speakers, singers, instrument players. He warned about the Lying Pen of the Scribes writing about the not-commanded king, kingdom, temple, priests or God-abandoned Levites.

http://www.piney.com/Timothy.4.2.Giving ... ables.html

http://www.piney.com/1.Timothy.4.Fables ... Tales.html

Bill
Bill

October 1st, 2015, 5:11 pm #17

No, you didn't say that Paul wrote Acts. When I said that Paul never mentioned the specific name of any pagan deity in his epistles, you quoted passages with names of pagan deities from Acts, as though Paul had written those passages. Just to remind you, Acts is not one of Paul's epistles. You might try a little of that Reading 101 yourself.

Again, please keep your posts about pagan mythology to a minimum.

October 1st, 2015, 6:32 pm #18

Ken,
If you are going to quote me then have the good sense that God gave you (what little you have left) and use it to separate OUT what I am saying from what YOU are saying. I do NOT want anyone to confuse what I say with the ravings of a lunatic. Several posts up you DID NOT put quotations around what I SAID, and then you immediately started your twisted rant after my statement. YOU KNOW BETTER and have been told time and time again. You don't have to agree with what I say but what I say is important to me. You KNOW English grammar....I am demanding that you use it when you post my statements.

Here is what you posted
That is also not right for you to put quotation marks around 'singing their own songs out of their own spirit' because Paul never said that.....Ken did. You don't need to put quotations around your own interpretation. Mocking is not manly! Mocking indeed in the Bible includes playing musical instruments as they musically mocked Jesus too the cross.

Here is what you SHOULD HAVE posted.
Dave said "That is also not right for you to put quotation marks around 'singing their own songs out of their own spirit' because Paul never said that.....Ken did. You don't need to put quotations around your own interpretation."

Mocking is not manly! Mocking indeed in the Bible includes playing musical instruments as they musically mocked Jesus too the cross.

By now you should know that I always use RED to quote enough so that people can understand whom I am answering. If this is putting strains on your MEDS I will try to fix it.

However, only my wife and cat get to tell me what to do.

October 1st, 2015, 6:41 pm #19

No, you didn't say that Paul wrote Acts. When I said that Paul never mentioned the specific name of any pagan deity in his epistles, you quoted passages with names of pagan deities from Acts, as though Paul had written those passages. Just to remind you, Acts is not one of Paul's epistles. You might try a little of that Reading 101 yourself.

Again, please keep your posts about pagan mythology to a minimum.
Luke 1:1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
Luke 1:2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
Luke 1:3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
Luke 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Luke is collecting the written history and his personal observations so that PAUL SPEAKS in this passage:

Acts 17:22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars’ hill, and SAID, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.

Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

Bill
Bill

October 1st, 2015, 8:21 pm #20

You're still quoting from Acts, which is not one of Paul's own epistles. You'll have to be content with the fact that Paul did not mention the name of a single pagan deity in any of his own epistles. We all need to take a lesson from Paul on that matter.