Using drama to attract believers

Using drama to attract believers

May 4th, 2016, 11:18 pm #1

Is it against the commandments of God to use the dramatic arts, as in skits, during a Vacation bible school or in the assembly? Do we need to attract the children and parents with entertainment?

May 5th, 2016, 1:57 am #2

A child's brain is 85 % grown by the age of 33: that means that is fully ready to learn.

God is defined as WORD, Logos or Regulative principle which is the opposite of personal opinions, person experiences, poetry, music or drama. LOGOS is defined as the opposite of MYTHS. Myths are not just imagined but they are any story that a person tells rather than reading the LOGOS. Songs and sermons are defined as MYTHS because the people believe that they have a worthy-of-wage ability to do a better job than God.

I don't know how successful people who rarely know or believe in the LOGOS can mimic or act out spiritual truths.

The Greeks spoke of "removes" from truth: a poet is one or two removes from the truth and were considered liars. They told the event as if THEY were the person and described what they would do. They especially did that about the "gods" and so mocked or abused their gods by rejecting their accounts.

I remember vbs where a trailer was fitted out as the belly of a whale along with visual effects and a mist blowing in your face. I thought that was very effective.

However, I remember my youngest who moved toward toy telephone without any visible means of locomotion. Long before she had words she carried out a lively conversation with all of the inflections of human speech but no recognizable words: she still has the tape.

When we moved back to tn my eldest daughter was asked to teach a class where a PIG was the key character in learning a sorta like Old Testament story: naturally she refused. The Youth minister was being asked to use cut outs and paste ups in grade 12. So, it probably depends on whether the REWRITERS have a grasp of the true truth.

"Theatron" (the name of a college singing group) is used as in "making a spectacle" of Jesus and all disciples.

There is a lot of hostile literature out there.

May 5th, 2016, 3:05 am #3

This was quoted as VALIDATION of an increasing intensity of WORSHIP intentionally challenging God who demands:

Hab. 2:19 Woe unto him that saith to the wood,
Awake; to the dumb stone, [David's awakening God]
Arise, it shall teach! Behold, it is laid over with gold and silver,
and there is no breath at all in the midst of it.
Hab. 2:20 But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

Be a Part of Our Musical Worship Leadership

Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855), a great theologian, was born in Copenhagen in the early nineteenth century. He graduated from the University of Copenhagen and then spent two years in Germany before he returned to Copenhagen, where he lived the rest of his life. Although his writings covered many areas of the Christian faith, he was particularly outspoken on the subject of worship.

He was quite critical of many churches whose worship had become "user friendly." He developed the idea that Christian worship was a drama. He had come to the conviction that many churches also believed that, but that there was an inappropriate redefining of what that meant. What he observed was that in the drama, God was to be the prompter, the liturgical leaders (musicians, readers of the scriptures, preachers and celebrants) had become the actors in the drama and the congregation had become the audience in the drama. An elitist class of leaders had implicitly modeled that they were better equipped to be the performers in this drama and that it was best if those in the congregation just watched as onlookers. This understanding of worship is still maintained and taught in many churches in America today.

Kierkegaard taught that this understanding of our worship of drama was totally wrong. People were taking on the wrong rolls. The liturgical leaders (musicians, readers of the scriptures, preachers and celebrants) were to be the prompters in worship. All of us, the congregation as well as the liturgical leaders are the actors in the drama of worship and God alone is the audience for the drama.

This pagan thinks that this is a good program if you INCREASE the Work Load.

It is truly exciting to be a part of our liturgical leadership of our drama of worship. This year we hope to advance our musical worship breadth to include new types of prompting in our worship. We are blessed with the support of our new Organ/Choral Scholar

This is the definition of making Jesus and His Word into a SPECTACLE and a reproach.

Paul commanded that Timothy WORK so that he could sponsor the Agape which in a civilized sense meant to provide food for workers going out hoping to get a DAY'S WORK.

If YOU perform the LITURGY then YOU must hire the team: singers, instrument players, actors, dancers and FEED the audience.

Jesus is OUR worship leaders when we REST and come outside the groupies and LEARN OF ME. You have NOTHING to offer God so YOU are fooling the foolish and make THEM pay for worshiping YOU.
Last edited by Ken.Sublett on May 5th, 2016, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sarge
Sarge

May 5th, 2016, 3:29 pm #4

Can you image Ken teaching Vacation Bible School? I'm quite sure he would deem it WOMEN'S work in short order. Kids need to learn from the Bible. However, some quality entertainment is necessary to keep them happy.

I guess Ken could teach the kids some Bible blended Mythology stories. NO, that's a bad ideal. Jesus said so!

VBS requires a local Church and they are scarce around here?

LET THE CHILDREN LEARN FROM THE BIBLE AND PLAY LIKE KIDS.

Good Grief!

Sarge
Sarge

May 5th, 2016, 4:28 pm #5

This was quoted as VALIDATION of an increasing intensity of WORSHIP intentionally challenging God who demands:

Hab. 2:19 Woe unto him that saith to the wood,
Awake; to the dumb stone, [David's awakening God]
Arise, it shall teach! Behold, it is laid over with gold and silver,
and there is no breath at all in the midst of it.
Hab. 2:20 But the LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

Be a Part of Our Musical Worship Leadership

Soren Kierkegaard (1813-1855), a great theologian, was born in Copenhagen in the early nineteenth century. He graduated from the University of Copenhagen and then spent two years in Germany before he returned to Copenhagen, where he lived the rest of his life. Although his writings covered many areas of the Christian faith, he was particularly outspoken on the subject of worship.

He was quite critical of many churches whose worship had become "user friendly." He developed the idea that Christian worship was a drama. He had come to the conviction that many churches also believed that, but that there was an inappropriate redefining of what that meant. What he observed was that in the drama, God was to be the prompter, the liturgical leaders (musicians, readers of the scriptures, preachers and celebrants) had become the actors in the drama and the congregation had become the audience in the drama. An elitist class of leaders had implicitly modeled that they were better equipped to be the performers in this drama and that it was best if those in the congregation just watched as onlookers. This understanding of worship is still maintained and taught in many churches in America today.

Kierkegaard taught that this understanding of our worship of drama was totally wrong. People were taking on the wrong rolls. The liturgical leaders (musicians, readers of the scriptures, preachers and celebrants) were to be the prompters in worship. All of us, the congregation as well as the liturgical leaders are the actors in the drama of worship and God alone is the audience for the drama.

This pagan thinks that this is a good program if you INCREASE the Work Load.

It is truly exciting to be a part of our liturgical leadership of our drama of worship. This year we hope to advance our musical worship breadth to include new types of prompting in our worship. We are blessed with the support of our new Organ/Choral Scholar

This is the definition of making Jesus and His Word into a SPECTACLE and a reproach.

Paul commanded that Timothy WORK so that he could sponsor the Agape which in a civilized sense meant to provide food for workers going out hoping to get a DAY'S WORK.

If YOU perform the LITURGY then YOU must hire the team: singers, instrument players, actors, dancers and FEED the audience.

Jesus is OUR worship leaders when we REST and come outside the groupies and LEARN OF ME. You have NOTHING to offer God so YOU are fooling the foolish and make THEM pay for worshiping YOU.
Mark 10:13-16 (NIV)
The Little Children and Jesus

13 People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.

Sarge
Sarge

May 5th, 2016, 7:12 pm #6

Adult Drama Queens abound. Does any one really want to go there? I don't. Nice weather we are having. Bye!

Sarge
Sarge

May 5th, 2016, 7:20 pm #7

Mark 10:13-16 (NIV)
The Little Children and Jesus

13 People were bringing little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14 When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.” 16 And he took the children in his arms, placed his hands on them and blessed them.
Dianne, how about it? Sarge is spot on? Feedback please!

Sarge
Sarge

May 5th, 2016, 8:31 pm #8

Adult Drama Queens abound. Does any one really want to go there? I don't. Nice weather we are having. Bye!
Donnie, will you interface with the Adult Drama Believers?

May 6th, 2016, 1:33 am #9

As the children grow into adults, will they expect to be entertained or will they come to hear the words of God? Where do you stop the age of entertainment? Don't we get enough entertainment in the world? Are we supposed to lay aside worldly things, since this world is not our home?

May 6th, 2016, 2:16 am #10

Dianne, how about it? Sarge is spot on? Feedback please!
Are you asking me if I think you are a drama queen? What kind of feedback would you like?