Understanding Change Agents (by John Waddey)

Understanding Change Agents (by John Waddey)

March 3rd, 2014, 10:32 pm #1

[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]Source: Christianity: then & now[/color]
[color=#000000" size="3" face="times]Vol. 13, Number 6, Supplemental Issue, Number 76[/color]

<table border="0" width="98%" align="center"><tr><td>
[color=#000000" size="5" face="times]
Understanding Change Agents
[/color]
[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]by John Waddey[/color]

[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]After extended observation, it seems to me the underlying causes that motivate the promoters of unauthorized changes for the Lord's church are false philosophies. Among them are:

Humanism which is a philosophy or attitude that is concerned with human beings, their achievements and interests, rather than with God, Christ or the Bible. In this system, man himself is the ultimate judge of right or wrong.

Post-Modernism which is a reaction to certainty. It denies universal and ancient truths. It seeks to break down long held views and beliefs. It argues that truth cannot be fully understood therefore it is relative to each man. It argues for ultimate tolerance of every idea and thought except those absolutes of Christianity.

Relativism which argues that all truth is relative to the individual person, his place and time. Thus there are no absolutes or universal truths.

Pragmatism which argues that what works best or produces the most result is therefore right.

Utilitarianism which says whatever produces the greatest good for the greatest number is therefore right.

All of these false philosophies fall under the umbrella of philosophical Liberalism which rejects the absolute objective authority of the Bible. Those under the influence of such thinking, while still lurking among our congregations, do not hear when we cite scripture to establish our beliefs and practices. To them Scripture is no longer considered their standard of authority. Scripture affects their thinking like rain on a duck's back.
[/color]
  • [color=#000000" size="4" face="times]Their authority is their personal desire. It is that of which their seared conscience approves and that which will attract the largest number of disciples.

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#000000" size="4" face="times]They reason, "Does this please my constituency?" If yes, we will do it, if not we will trash it."

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#000000" size="4" face="times]They ask, "Will this increase our numbers to make us a mega-church?"

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#000000" size="4" face="times]They want to know, "Will it help us be accepted by our evangelical neighbors?"
    [/color]</li>
[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]The change movement is like a contagious disease that has found entrance into the body of Christ. To overcome it, we must isolate the carriers and deal with the root causes. Using the medicinal value of God's Word, we must nourish and strengthen all we can reach. We must point out the dangers of this new approach to Christianity. We urge all to beware and avoid any contact with those who are infected with the fatal virus. Paul says, "turn away from them" (Rom. 16:17). Have no fellowship with them (II John 9-11). By hearing the faithful teaching of God's Word, our brethren's immunity to error will be greatly increased. Isolated, change agents will look elsewhere for vulnerable souls they might infect with their polluted doctrine.

As our forefathers fervently prayed when in their days pestilence stalked the land, let us now pray that God will sweep this plague from our midst.
[/color]
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>

Scripture
Scripture

March 4th, 2014, 2:02 am #2

just noticed that John Waddey is deceased as of February 2014.
Regretfully.

Bill
Bill

March 4th, 2014, 2:20 am #3

Here's a link to John Waddey's obituary:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/azcent ... =169689523

March 4th, 2014, 2:46 am #4

Regretfully.
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Sorry to hear of the church's great loss, one strong defender of the faith and His cause. (Thank you for informing us.) [/color]

March 4th, 2014, 2:59 am #5

Regretfully.
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Scripture, would you mind updating us concerning the resignation of the 3 elders ["shepherds"] a few weeks ago -- what this means to the current leadership and the future of the congregation in your estimation?

In conjunction with that, what do you think of Lynn Anderson's visit and preaching this past Sunday, as well as his "role" in his recent "session(s)" with the leaders? Are we able to listen to his delivery online?

Interestingly, although he is one of the prominent "change agents" in the brotherhood (along with Jeff Walling, Rubel Shelly, Mike Cope, Max Lucado, Randy Harris, Melton Jones, et al), he was "silent" about the scheme to restructure and transform the church; he said nothing [praise or condemn] the musical performance by Chris Lindsey and his quartet on stage.

You may opt to add info to this thread or some of the other Madison-related thread(s) or initiate a new thread(s), if/as you wish.[/color]

March 4th, 2014, 3:18 am #6

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Sorry to hear of the church's great loss, one strong defender of the faith and His cause. (Thank you for informing us.) [/color]
http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/azcent ... Es9er.dpbs

February 20, 2014

John Waddey -- I can hardly believe he has passed from this life. I have never known such a prolific writer, especially in the last few years, on the concerns regarding brethren remaining faithful to the patterns of biblical doctrine and worship. I have just this week used his thoughts on the subject of Forbearance in preparation for my weekly newspaper article in the Fort Worth Star Telegram, a series now in its 6th year called the Paper Pulpit. John agreed recently to be a speaker at my funeral, but now that cannot be. But it does tell the very high esteem in which I hold him. May God bless his memory among all others who cherish him as a brother in Christ, as I did. The loss I feel is indescribable, but our solace is in the firm hope of meeting again in the sweet land of fadeless day.
~
Alvin Jennings,
Hurst, Texas

March 4th, 2014, 3:21 am #7

http://www.legacy.com/guestbooks/azcent ... Es9er.dpbs

February 20, 2014

I must add that John Waddey was editor of the Star Magazine, mass mailed to millions of home by direct mail. He took this job in 1977 and continued for about 15 years. Of the fifty-plus million Star magazines that we published through Star Bible Publications, brother Waddey edited and wrote more than any other man over the following 20 years. I have never known such a careful, dedicated and prolific writer of gospel literature through all these years as my partner in the gospel at Star Bible Publications. Besides what he did in this connection, he found time to write forty books, many newspaper articles on the Bible, besides his more recent and what proved to be his last periodical publication, Christianity Now and Then, which he mailed to about 10,000 churches of Christ. Though dead, he will yet be speaking through his writings for generations to come, if the Lord tarries.
~
Alvin Jennings,
Hurst, Texas

Scripture
Scripture

March 4th, 2014, 4:06 am #8

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Scripture, would you mind updating us concerning the resignation of the 3 elders ["shepherds"] a few weeks ago -- what this means to the current leadership and the future of the congregation in your estimation?

In conjunction with that, what do you think of Lynn Anderson's visit and preaching this past Sunday, as well as his "role" in his recent "session(s)" with the leaders? Are we able to listen to his delivery online?

Interestingly, although he is one of the prominent "change agents" in the brotherhood (along with Jeff Walling, Rubel Shelly, Mike Cope, Max Lucado, Randy Harris, Melton Jones, et al), he was "silent" about the scheme to restructure and transform the church; he said nothing [praise or condemn] the musical performance by Chris Lindsey and his quartet on stage.

You may opt to add info to this thread or some of the other Madison-related thread(s) or initiate a new thread(s), if/as you wish.[/color]
These are some impressions and thoughts. These are just mine, and others will no doubt have other impressions:

Lynn Anderson was preoccupied with his current serious illness and reflective on the importance of doing God's will, realizing the unimportance of one's life compared with doing God's will. He realizes, it appears, that his life might be drawing to a close. It was a type of confession in that he acknowledged that often in his life he wanted to be well-known and successful. So, he' s looking forward beyond the issues of the day, or so it appeared. One need let lust for popularity to lead one to a progressive rebel, and maybe I shouldn't conjecture that this is a driving force. But it is awfully tempting sometimes for one to get a Cephas-branch, or Apollos-cult, or a Pauline-following in order to draw disciples unto themselves. Read 1 Corinthians 1. Paul was encountering the New Testament error of post-modernism, and even before there was "modernism." Lynn did mention the meaning of "righteousness" as meaning "justice", which he mentioned "Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness," and so I give him great credit for this. Some that were sick physically in the congregation liked his emphasis on health and suffering, which he had endured much. Others thought he was too ego-centered, really.

He complimented the Madison church for being on the "progressive" side, and admired them for that. So he did approach the issues in this way. His sermons does not yet appear on the madisonchurchtn.org yet, but it might appear in a few days. The elder who introduced him was a student of Lynn's down at Abilene, and was an apparent admirer. So there is this link between the elders and Abilene even now. As Lynn stepped down he kissed the elder on the cheek, and this appear to startle the elder, but I suppose that Lynn is using "pattern theology" to bring back the holy kiss. Lynn's voice certainly tended to show the ravages of illness in that it was hoarse and gravely, as well as weakened. I definitely go the idea that the issues of the day were relatively unimportant to him compared to the effect his sickness had upon his humility and spirituality.

Scripture
Scripture

March 4th, 2014, 4:14 am #9

The elder resignations included two that are to the left, and one that is possibly a yes man. These may not be accurate descriptions, but there are some reasons to say this. One of the two had vowed that he would never let Madison become an emaciated and nonexistent church like Charlotte Avenue, and yet attendance continues to slowly descend even with the new methods. The second of the two is largely responsible for the 2002-2003 insurgency remaining in the church, although perhaps they were eventually "kicked off-campus" to a satellite church. I would suspect that the resignation of these two would suggest a slowly movement leftward. The first of the two resigned for age, and the second to come on down to Texas. The third elder's state reason was for health.

Perhaps the changes would open an opportunity for the current pulpit minister to regain touch with his ancient roots and return to the more ancient roots of the church. It is hopeful that the current preacher not be overly influenced by events that preceded his installation into the pulpit.

Scripture
Scripture

March 4th, 2014, 4:22 am #10

The church is getting a little too familiar with the expression "the pastor." Literature is reviewed that is "close" to traditional teaching, but in that regard is "rough around the edges." The great drought of Biblical teaching from 1960 to 1999 in the pulpits, and the endorsement for a psychological gospel (or something like that, I don't want to insult psychology) taught the church to be "bored" with the demonstrations of the Biblical standard of teaching. The momentum of the first half of the 20th century was thrown out with the later half century preoccupied with doubtful interpretations of society. To see the sickness in video, look at the Baxter Herald of Truth videos in the 1960s and 1970s. What appeared to be "progressive" then seems like a lot of nonsense today. These videos of course are anchored in Abilene.