Understanding Change Agents (by John Waddey)

March 10th, 2014, 3:25 am #31

<table width="100%" border="0"><tr><td valign="top" width="100%">
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr><td width="98%" bgcolor="#ffffff">

<table border="0" width="100%" align="center"><tr><td>
[color=#000000" size="5" face="times]
The Games That People Play
[/color]
[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]by John Waddey[/color]

[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]In 1968, Joe South wrote and published the song, "The Games People Play." It was a commentary on the hypocrisy of many in modern society. Being a student and observer of the change movement that is currently troubling the Church of Christ, I have discovered the following games to be common among the leaders of that movement.

Let's Pretend: When a change agent first appears in a congregation of conservative Christians, he will pretend to be one with them. They who are quite happy to worship and serve God as they have long done will thus accept him in their midst, perhaps as their minister, or as a teacher, a deacon, or even an elder. Only after he is firmly established and secure in his position will he reveal his real faith and intention to implement innovative changes to their faith and worship.

A change agent can mingle with conservative preachers and elders at meetings and forums and never let his true faith and convictions be known. He will use all the right words to leave the impression that he is one with them. Even if he is asked to speak, the average preacher or elder might not detect that the man really pities or even despises their conservative views. Only when the winds are favorable will he reveal his true nature.

When interviewing for a position with a congregation, a shrewd change agent can answer all the questions that a concerned eldership might ask, leaving the impression that he is as conservative and loyal to Christ and his Word as they. A few months later, they discover that he has quietly recruited enough of their members to begin pushing for unscriptural changes.

When asked about his views on instrumental music in worship he might respond, "I love our a cappella congregation singing." Or, "We have a wonderful tradition of singing that I fully support." Or, "I believe it's wrong to divide the church over instrumental music." But he did not answer the actual question about using instruments in worship. To him, if they can be introduced without causing a division, he would not object; in fact, he would likely promote the idea.

The same tactic is sometimes used when answering questions about baptism's role in salvation. The change agent might say, "I believe in baptism." But he does not believe that, without it, a believing penitent would be lost. He really believes the sinner is saved by grace through faith and is then baptized to declare his salvation. When asked about the nature of the church, he will declare that he believes in the one church of the Bible, etc. But he really means one mystical, universal church which includes the many denominational churches. He thinks the Church of Christ is only one of those denominations.

In the world of politics, this slippery manipulation of words is described as "spinning" the facts or truth. In scriptural terms, it is the black art of deception, calling evil good and good evil (Is. 5:20).

A second game, closely akin to Pretend, is Catch Me If You Can. In this, the change agent dodges and deflects questions and pretends to be wounded that anyone would doubt his loyalty to the Lord and his church. He operates on the basis that "you can fool most of the people most of the time." All the while he is working to convert members to his errant views, he pretends not to understand why you would doubt his intentions. He is hurt that you question his soundness. Yet he continues to attend all the gatherings of change agents. He reads their books and papers. He shuns those of conservative brethren. He is invited to speak for liberal churches, and they love his message. He leaves the impression that he is on their team. But when the news gets home to his congregation, he dances and dodges, hoping to hold on to his job until he can capture the congregation or, failing that, find a church that does share his views. Only when he is cornered and caught will he finally admit what had long been suspected.

Given the effectiveness of these false teachers, Paul's warning is most timely. "Let no man beguile thee." (II Thess. 2:3).
[/color]
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
You fool most elders most of the time and that is good enough until it is not good enough.

Both of Waddey's post are connected.
In Isaiah 5 the Spirit of Christ explained why the Civil-Military-Clergy complex (preachers-elders) had starved the people for lack of the Word.

If you are a sermon merchant as opposed to a Disciple of Christ in the prophets and apostles you will just quote enough to GIT UP your sermon and then spin a vortex out of your own head. However, a disciple will ask about the meaning of words as used in the texts at the time. Not only the terms but the explicit definition of what the leaders did in all of the false worship.

When you do so, as we have noted about Ephesians 4, IF you have APT elders they will silence the hypocritic actors SO THAT you can read the Word, you will notice that Paul defines the same MARKS of those who deliberately LIE IN WAIT TO DECEIVE: rhetoricians, singers, instrument players.

They are identified and we might try to understand how to identify the enemy:

1Samuel 25:22 So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
1Samuel 25:34 For in very deed, as the LORD God of Israel liveth, which hath kept me back from hurting thee, except thou hadst hasted and come to meet me, surely there had not been left unto Nabal by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
1Kings 14:10 Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel, and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone.
1Kings 16:11 And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.
1Kings 21:21 Behold, I will bring evil upon thee, and will take away thy posterity, and will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel,
2Kings 9:8 For the whole house of Ahab shall perish: and I will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel:

March 10th, 2014, 5:16 pm #32

People are squemish: Aristophanes is the only ancient writer who speaks without a forked tongue. If a false teacher lies about God and to God because as "Rhetorician, Singer or instrument player beyond the sacred pages" LIES IN WAIT TO DECEIVE [Ephesians 4] what shall we say of elders who are NOT APT enough to know that a Christ or Spirit APTED elder is commanded to REMOVE THEM? What shall we say of such elders who AFFIRM the cunning craftsmen or Sophists meaning self-preachers, clergy singers and instrument players? If they REFUSE to follow the PROOF of an APT elder is it not the case that THEY LIE IN WAIT TO DECEIVE YOU? Didn't Paul warn that people who infiltrate the elder's role with "command authority" WILL let the Wolves in to devour [double entendre] the sheep? If they sheep cannot be devoured or deceived why would Christ the Spirit Master Teacher warn you?

God seems to have no mercy for those who hang around to be deceived: they are OF the World or "aliens" according to Proverbs. When I listen to or read sermons of the END-TIME WOLVES I see them like those who "pisseth against the wall" and get applauded for it.

John 10:7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
John 10:8 All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers:
but the sheep did not hear them.
John 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
John 10:10 The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.
John 10:11 I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

Mark Twain noted the the blind who follow the blind receive no mercy according to the Law given to govern musical idolaters of the Egyptian Etal., trinity.:

"A person could piss against a tree, he could piss on his mother, he could piss on his own breeches, and get off, but he must not piss against the wall that would be going quite too far. The origin of the divine prejudice against this humble crime is not stated; but we know that the prejudice was very strong so strong that nothing but a wholesale massacre of the people inhabiting the region where the wall was defiled could satisfy the Deity.

Take the case of Jeroboam. I will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall. It was done. And not only was the man that did it cut off, but everybody else.

The same with the house of Baasha: everybody was exterminated, kinsfolks, friends, and all, leaving not one that pisseth against a wall.

In the case of Jeroboam you have a striking instance of the Deitys custom of not limiting his punishments to the guilty; the innocent are included. Even the remnant of that unhappy house was removed, even as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone. That includes the women, the young maids, and the little girls. All innocent, for they couldnt piss against a wall. Nobody of that sex can. None but members of the other sex can achieve that feat.

(Mark Twain - Letters From The Earth 1909)"

Of course, Mark Twain didn't know the story line other than what he heard in pulpits. James says to them that a person who shows partiality brings down the whole law upon his/her/its head. Elevating clergy as "Rhetoricians, singers, instrument players, actors" is guilty of the whole law. Jesus said that God HIDES from them so that as one pisseth against the walls, the WHOLE assembly is made blind and deaf and will fall into the ditch (pit, hell)

This is FACT as written by the SCRIBES of the unlawful monarchy. If people use the Civil-Military-Clergy complex Christ called Robbers and Parasites, do they not take the "innocent" with the guilty? Or not?

??
??

March 12th, 2014, 1:48 am #33

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Scripture,

Thank you so much for providing info regarding Lynn Anderson. I got the same impression as you did -- you explained it very, very well; I could not have done any better. [I asked for you input because I wasn't sure that I fully understood the message he was trying to deliver. Was it my hearing or was it his voice?]

Thank you also for dealing with this subject: "Change in Leadership." We may need to discuss this in more detail when time allows. As you may be aware [we may review the events surrounding the upheaval] that the "first" of the two was mainly responsible for the "progressive" move to transform/restructure Madison.

I have a question for you: What do you think of the "relationship" between Jason Shepherd, the young minister, and Chris Lindsey, the young "worship leader," and his supporting cast [the quartet performing on stage] and the rest of his Praise Team in the front rows? Because I'm not always present, I'm just wondering about how you would rate their behavior in the "worship" assembly. [I have yet to witness one speaking to (or "complimenting") the other -- "as the manner of some is."] [/color]
We get along great! Worship is not the place or time for self promoting!

March 13th, 2014, 6:26 am #34

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]To ??: I concur that worship "is not ..."; so, what "is" worship? Welcome!!!

To Jason of "WE": Do you prefer to teach lessons from the Rick Warren culture-driven manual or from the Restoration heritage and its stand for New Testament principles? Welcome!!!

To Chris of "WE": You have a very special, natural musical talent. [No, I wouldn't call it a "spiritual gift." Sorry.] There's much to say about "musical worship"; let's save it for later. How much attention does God REALLY give to your QUARTET [2 men and 2 WOMEN] performing on stage? Welcome, Chris!!![/color]

Sarge
Sarge

March 13th, 2014, 10:00 pm #35

[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]Source: Christianity: then & now[/color]
[color=#000000" size="3" face="times]Vol. 13, Number 6, Supplemental Issue, Number 76[/color]

<table border="0" width="98%" align="center"><tr><td>
[color=#000000" size="5" face="times]
Understanding Change Agents
[/color]
[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]by John Waddey[/color]

[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]After extended observation, it seems to me the underlying causes that motivate the promoters of unauthorized changes for the Lord's church are false philosophies. Among them are:

Humanism which is a philosophy or attitude that is concerned with human beings, their achievements and interests, rather than with God, Christ or the Bible. In this system, man himself is the ultimate judge of right or wrong.

Post-Modernism which is a reaction to certainty. It denies universal and ancient truths. It seeks to break down long held views and beliefs. It argues that truth cannot be fully understood therefore it is relative to each man. It argues for ultimate tolerance of every idea and thought except those absolutes of Christianity.

Relativism which argues that all truth is relative to the individual person, his place and time. Thus there are no absolutes or universal truths.

Pragmatism which argues that what works best or produces the most result is therefore right.

Utilitarianism which says whatever produces the greatest good for the greatest number is therefore right.

All of these false philosophies fall under the umbrella of philosophical Liberalism which rejects the absolute objective authority of the Bible. Those under the influence of such thinking, while still lurking among our congregations, do not hear when we cite scripture to establish our beliefs and practices. To them Scripture is no longer considered their standard of authority. Scripture affects their thinking like rain on a duck's back.
[/color]
  • [color=#000000" size="4" face="times]Their authority is their personal desire. It is that of which their seared conscience approves and that which will attract the largest number of disciples.

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#000000" size="4" face="times]They reason, "Does this please my constituency?" If yes, we will do it, if not we will trash it."

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#000000" size="4" face="times]They ask, "Will this increase our numbers to make us a mega-church?"

[/color]</li>
  • [color=#000000" size="4" face="times]They want to know, "Will it help us be accepted by our evangelical neighbors?"
    [/color]</li>
[color=#000000" size="4" face="times]The change movement is like a contagious disease that has found entrance into the body of Christ. To overcome it, we must isolate the carriers and deal with the root causes. Using the medicinal value of God's Word, we must nourish and strengthen all we can reach. We must point out the dangers of this new approach to Christianity. We urge all to beware and avoid any contact with those who are infected with the fatal virus. Paul says, "turn away from them" (Rom. 16:17). Have no fellowship with them (II John 9-11). By hearing the faithful teaching of God's Word, our brethren's immunity to error will be greatly increased. Isolated, change agents will look elsewhere for vulnerable souls they might infect with their polluted doctrine.

As our forefathers fervently prayed when in their days pestilence stalked the land, let us now pray that God will sweep this plague from our midst.
[/color]
</td></tr></table></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>
I think John Waddey was correct on some issues. Take the link below.

DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT HELP THE CHRISTIAN? (by John Waddey)

http://www.christianity-then-and-now.co ... istian.pdf

Scripture
Scripture

March 13th, 2014, 11:46 pm #36

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Scripture,

Thank you so much for providing info regarding Lynn Anderson. I got the same impression as you did -- you explained it very, very well; I could not have done any better. [I asked for you input because I wasn't sure that I fully understood the message he was trying to deliver. Was it my hearing or was it his voice?]

Thank you also for dealing with this subject: "Change in Leadership." We may need to discuss this in more detail when time allows. As you may be aware [we may review the events surrounding the upheaval] that the "first" of the two was mainly responsible for the "progressive" move to transform/restructure Madison.

I have a question for you: What do you think of the "relationship" between Jason Shepherd, the young minister, and Chris Lindsey, the young "worship leader," and his supporting cast [the quartet performing on stage] and the rest of his Praise Team in the front rows? Because I'm not always present, I'm just wondering about how you would rate their behavior in the "worship" assembly. [I have yet to witness one speaking to (or "complimenting") the other -- "as the manner of some is."] [/color]
Normally when two employees praise one another that implies both are equal and will profit from mutual support. When only one praises the other the one is normally an inferior. Complete silence could imply insecurity.

March 14th, 2014, 7:51 am #37

I think John Waddey was correct on some issues. Take the link below.

DOES THE HOLY SPIRIT HELP THE CHRISTIAN? (by John Waddey)

http://www.christianity-then-and-now.co ... istian.pdf
[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Coach,

As frequently mentioned in the Scripture, the Spirit OF the Father (Matt. 10:20) or the Spirit OF Jesus Christ (Phil. 1:19; Romans 8:9) is A.K.A. "the Holy Spirit."

Brother John quoted Romans 8:9 -- "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit OF God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit OF Christ, he is none of his."

Of change agents, he said, "the real enemy, the army of change, is marching through our midst taking individuals, churches, schools...."[/color]

Sarge
Sarge

March 14th, 2014, 11:27 am #38

Donnie Cruz,

John Waddey said, "It is sad to see brethren using their time, their shot and powder to shoot at fellow Christians with whom they
disagree on the method of the Holy Spirits activity on behalf of Christians. While they make war on good
conservative men, the real enemy, the army of change, is marching through our midst taking individuals,
churches, schools almost with any significant opposition. The army that should be opposing them is too busy
trying to destroy their own men who don't yield to their pronouncements."

John Waddey also believed that the Holy Spirit was a divine person. John Waddey said, "The Holy Spirit is a divine person, a member of the holy godhead. It is erroneous to think of him as merely a power, influence or feeling. Masculine pronouns are applied to the Spirit (John 14:26). Attributes of personhood are given him. He speaks (Revelation 2:29); he leads (Romans 8:14); he forbids (Acts 16:6). The Holy Spirit plays a vital role in our salvation. We are baptized into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:19). He is the seal of our salvation and the "earnest of our inheritance" (Ephesians 1:13-14).

http://www.horsecavecoc.com/chap33.htm

Donnie, perhaps, you need to be more tolerant with fellow Christians on how they perceive the Holy Spirit. Change your priorities, after all, the change agents are running amuck.

Bill
Bill

March 14th, 2014, 4:57 pm #39

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Coach,

As frequently mentioned in the Scripture, the Spirit OF the Father (Matt. 10:20) or the Spirit OF Jesus Christ (Phil. 1:19; Romans 8:9) is A.K.A. "the Holy Spirit."

Brother John quoted Romans 8:9 -- "But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit OF God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit OF Christ, he is none of his."

Of change agents, he said, "the real enemy, the army of change, is marching through our midst taking individuals, churches, schools...."[/color]
[. . .]

[color=#FF0000" size="3" face="times]This post has been removed and is awaiting its transfer to any of the threads discussing "<b>The Trinity" or "The Holy Spirit."</b>[/color]
Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on March 15th, 2014, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 15th, 2014, 2:27 am #40

Donnie Cruz,

John Waddey said, "It is sad to see brethren using their time, their shot and powder to shoot at fellow Christians with whom they
disagree on the method of the Holy Spirits activity on behalf of Christians. While they make war on good
conservative men, the real enemy, the army of change, is marching through our midst taking individuals,
churches, schools almost with any significant opposition. The army that should be opposing them is too busy
trying to destroy their own men who don't yield to their pronouncements."

John Waddey also believed that the Holy Spirit was a divine person. John Waddey said, "The Holy Spirit is a divine person, a member of the holy godhead. It is erroneous to think of him as merely a power, influence or feeling. Masculine pronouns are applied to the Spirit (John 14:26). Attributes of personhood are given him. He speaks (Revelation 2:29); he leads (Romans 8:14); he forbids (Acts 16:6). The Holy Spirit plays a vital role in our salvation. We are baptized into the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:19). He is the seal of our salvation and the "earnest of our inheritance" (Ephesians 1:13-14).

http://www.horsecavecoc.com/chap33.htm

Donnie, perhaps, you need to be more tolerant with fellow Christians on how they perceive the Holy Spirit. Change your priorities, after all, the change agents are running amuck.

[color=#0000FF" size="4" face="times]Sarge/Coach,

You said earlier, "I think John Waddey was correct on some issues." I say, I agree with John Waddey on many, many issues -- that's much more than you agree with him.

I can say the same thing about Wayne Jackson.

They're both conservative and closer to the truth than any of the progressive, Community Church-leaning change agents operating in the brotherhood of the churches of Christ. That's why I post many of their articles and quote from their writings.

Having said that, I'm not going to pretend that I do not disagree with portions of their beliefs concerning the Holy Spirit. It is common knowledge that there are many teachers and preachers in the church who have that same perception as what they've learned from the commonly-held teachings regarding the Trinity since the Nicene-Constantinopolitan decree in the 4th century.

It would be interesting to discuss the Trinity or the Holy Spirit with men like them in a friendly manner. Unlike certain posters among us, those men, in my opinion, would be very willing to discuss details and specifics including the grammatical structure and definitions of words contained in the expression: "the holy Spirit OF God." When specific answers are given to specific questions, controversial biblical topics can be discussed intelligently. It's when one refuses to answer with specificity that a discussion dies.

I think I am very tolerant with fellow Christians when discussing controversial doctrinal issues. They're messages are being published, aren't they? When messages are no longer of discussion value, there's no choice but to opt not to publish them.

I'm publishing your post conerning the Trinity, although unrelated to the topic of this thread, only because you're "in your good behavior"

The only point I'm going to make here regarding the Holy Spirit is where I've already quoted the ignored passages [I've already mentioned them, in case you missed that part of my response]:

a) "The Spirit OF the Father" is a.k.a. "the Holy Spirit" (Matt. 10:20).

b) "The Spirit OF Jesus Christ" is a.k.a. "the Holy Spirit" (Phil. 1:19; Romans 8:9).

c) The expression "the holy Spirit OF God" (Eph. 4:30)

d) Those few of numerous passages clearly indicate God's holy Spirit is not a separate "PERSON" from either (1) God the Father or (2) God's Son -- the Lord Jesus Christ.

e) A Bible student who pays attention to details should be able to clearly analyze those references and safely conclude that our God's "holy Spirit" is not a separate being.

There's Bill Crump's post below yours waiting for publication. But I'm saving it and giving Bill a chance and time to transfer his post to one of the Trinity or Holy Spirit threads already in existence.[/color]

================

[color=#FF0000" size="3" face="times]Correction from: "They're messages are being published, aren't they?"

That should've been "Their messages are being published, aren't they?"

Where's Dr. Crump when we need him to correct a mistake ... or ask him to explain to us the grammatical structure of the expression: "the holy Spirit OF God"?
[/color]
Last edited by Donnie.Cruz on March 15th, 2014, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.