THE MADISON-LIKE FALSE JUDAIZING TEACHING
- <font color=red>ROBBING GOD
Mal 3:8: "Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed rne. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings."
It is unbelievable, unthinkable, but people rob God. They rob Him of money, time, service, faithfulness. God issues a challenge for them to give. "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in MINE HOUSE, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it" (Mal. 3:10). </font>
Therefore, to LAY CLAIM to the tithe EVERY year from WAGES is to rob the WAGE EARNER and to REJECT the value of the sacrifice of Christ. Wage earners gave anything they wished but they OWED only those taxes laid on CIVIL or SECULAR trade such as import-export.
The priests and on-duty Levites got a free, daily dole of food ONLY when they were on duty at the temple and could not leave. If they wanted a new CHARIOT they did honest work like everyone else. Paul understood that all religious workers have a trade to "work or they shall not eat." The rest of the Tribe of Levi took care of what we would call CIVIL GOVERNMENT. The THRESHING OXEN got nibbles ONLY while it was threshing MY grain. Then, it left and I did not board it all winter.
THE MADISON-LIKE THREAT
- <font color=red>I once had a good brother in the Iord reveal to me and lament the fact of the many years he wasted and robbed God before he became a Christian. He wished he had the time to go back and correct it. He would have become a Christian years before he did.
But that time is gone. It cannot be relived.
Remember how the rich man in hades lifted up his eyes in torment and desired relief of his suffering (Luke 16:23)? He learned it was too late for himself, so he sought desperately to warn his brothers because he knew they were headed to the same place. They could not be warned from beyond the grave. However, they were being warned, even then, by God's divine, inspired, Word. Every human being on the face of the earth is being warned today by God's living inspired Word. Why won't they listen? Why won't they take heed? Why do they continue to rob God of that which He is due? </font>
- <font color=red>The church is authorized to take up a collection every first day of the week. Therefore, Christians are commanded to give on this day as they have been prospered (I Cor. 16:1-2). Our giving is to be done purposefully, cheerfully and not grudgingly (II Cor. 9:6-7). We give unto the Lord, not man. </font>
Next, Paul said LET EACH lay BY HIMSELF. Both grammatically and historically that meant that EACH should take something out of his FIRST WORK day which would be the FIRST DAY OF THE WEEK and put it in his "thesaurus" or house bank. The world's scholarship has NOT DOUBT that this was NOT a LEGAL ACT OF WORSHIP which MUST be done in order to escape HADES. The early church DID NOT see this as proportional giving where wellfare ladies tithe their pittance: it meant that THOSE WHO PROSPERED were to give to THOSE WHO WERE DESTITUTE.
Paul does not want himself or them to be embarassed so he is nudging them to as a ONE TIME thing simply because THEY had volunteered and needed to keep their pledge.
- <font color=blue>2 Cor 8:8 I speak not by commandment, but by occasion of the forwardness of others, and to prove the sincerity of your love.
2 Cor 8: 10 And herein I give my ADVICE: for this is expedient for you, who have BEGUN before, not only to do, but also to be FORWARD a YEAR AGO </font>
This would have been a good time for Paul to have accused them of ROBBING God because it is CLEAR that they had NOT been "laying by AT CHURCH on the Lord's day." We do know that they took care of the poor.
- <font color=blue>2 Cor 8: 11 Now therefore perform the doing of it; that as there was a readiness [predisposition] to will, so there may be a performance also OUT of that WHICH ye HAVE.
2 Cor 8: 12 For if there be first a willing mind, it is accepted according to that a man hath, and not according to that he hath not.
2 Cor 8: 13 For I mean not that other men be eased, and ye burdened: </font>
- <font color=blue>2 Co 9:5 Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren, that they would go before unto you, and make up BEFOREHAND your bounty, whereof ye had notice before, that the same might be ready, as a matter of bounty, and not as of covetousness. </font>
- <font color=blue>Plenoecia (g4124) pleh-on-ex-ee'-ah; from 4123; avarice, i.e. (by impl.) fraudulency, extortion: - covetous (-ness) practices, greediness.
PAUL'S PRESENCE would be an EXTORTING influence and that would be radically opposed to the idea of GOSPEL or "free water of the Word."
1Co.6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
2 Co 9:5LIV So I have asked these other brothers to arrive ahead of me to see that the gift you promised is on hand and waiting. I want it to be a real gift and not look as if it were being given under PRESSURE</font>
It simply cannot be a LAW or a COMMAND and still be a FREE GIFT. I willingly pay the IRS what I lawfully owe: I do NOT give them GIFTS.
- <font color=red>Will we rob God of that which He is due? Are you robbing Him? </font>
You rob God if you claim the role of MUSICAL Levite or SACRIFICIAL priest mediating between the AUDIENCE and GOD. The problem was within the CLERGY and Paul is NOT telling the local carpenter to pay a TITHE on his SALES PRICE of a new chair!
- <font color=blue>AND now, O ye priests, this commandment is for you. Malachi 2:1
If ye will not hear, and if ye will not lay it to heart, to give glory unto my name, saith the Lord of hosts, I will even send a curse upon you, and I will curse your blessings: yea, I have cursed them already, because ye do not lay it to heart. Malachi 2:2 </font>
It is a radically new thing for once-conservatives to claim the TITHE or to claim that Paul gave a LAW of GIVING. History knows this giving as ONLY for the poor or traveller. If one claiming even to be an apostle remained over two or three days they got him a JOB or free passage to the next town. People who laid claim to pay as MUSICIANS were tarred and feathered only they used honey and cotton. One might expect that FORCED TITHING is a sign of failure to involve the BODY. Musicians and RHETORICIANS were classed together because they PRODUCED nothing which advanced society.
These false teachings make it extremely hard to get people to be faithful to the Words of God for fear of being called a legalist.